How much effort is needed to update mods to 1.3?

Montag

I have minimal knowledge of programming and the effort you guys put into your mods, but I am very appreciative of your work.  For me and the other dependents / leeches, what is the 10 km look at what processes you have to go through to update your mod to 1.3?  Did this one require significant code change?

16 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Well, The latest MM doesn't work with 1.3 so we are out of luck there unfortunately.

MM had working compiles during the prerelease.  It's entirely possible that nothing else has changed since then but it will need a new build.

My experimentation with other plugins also suggested that they may need to be recompiled even if not code changes are necessary.

13 minutes ago, blowfish said:

MM had working compiles during the prerelease.  It's entirely possible that nothing else has changed since then but it will need a new build.

My experimentation with other plugins also suggested that they may need to be recompiled even if not code changes are necessary.

Actually, just disregard my post. I haven't actually tested it, but I read, from a reputable source, that it wasn't working. They just told me they were wrong, and well, yeah.. so was I. It may still need a recompile like you said. Roverdude just said it should be working though.

Edited by Galileo

I had one stock function removed and one with a changed signature. The fix was very easy in both cases, and I had a 1.3-compatible version of my mod within minutes.

The more time consuming part is localizing your mod. That involves finding all your UI strings (I had about 45 of them), translating them to Lingoona syntax based on their demo and your best guesses, putting them in a cfg file, and calling Localizer.Format for each one. (Sadly, I still don't have any translations because I don't speak any of the newly added languages and nobody volunteered on my thread.) I would guess on the order of 1-10 hours for a typical mod?

3 hours ago, Galileo said:

Actually, just disregard my post. I haven't actually tested it, but I read, from a reputable source, that it wasn't working. They just told me they were wrong, and well, yeah.. so was I. It may still need a recompile like you said. Roverdude just said it should be working though.

Code changes were necessary (I know because I made them), so hopefully nothing more has changed between then and now

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.