Mod pack consent list

Here's an idea:

Any mod authors who want to explicitly allow they bundling of their mod into modpacks, reply to this thread with the name of the mod and any other info.

I figure this will make making & installing KSP modpacks easier since one can just zip up all the (non-Squad) folders and post it, without having to check with every mod author for consent.

I didn't think this through at all so if there's a major problem with this just tell me!

Guaranteed yes:

Spoiler

"Don't ask because I'll say yes without reading the full question"

• There's nothing here...

Ask-for-permission:

Spoiler

"Ask before using!"

Guaranteed no:

Spoiler

"Don't ask because I'll say no without reading the full question"

Edited by icantmakemodels
Have to do schoolwork now. Back in an hour or so.

I think I appreciate the sentiment of what you're trying to do here, but technically the mod authors have already answered this question in their choice of licenses.  If you read the license attached to the mod it will tell you if it can in part or in whole be included in derivative works and what attribution is required. All mods are required to have a license statement so you should be golden to just read that.   :)

Most mod makers, especially the really famous ones, will object to having their work be shared in mod-packs. Inherently, this isn't a bad thing but the problem is the mod-pack makers tend not to test or maintain the things, and the downloaders will tend complain to the mod makers and not the mod packers, expecting support that was not promised them and will never be found. This is undue stress on the mod-makers and responsibility that the mod-packer is expected to bail out from. The only accepted option for sharing mods en masse is to produce CKAN lists.

So, sadly, expect no positive responses (at best).

A few weeks ago, someone already approached this topic and in a very wrong way, ensuring a very strong and lingering stink on the idea of mod-packs.

15 hours ago, icantmakemodels said:

I figure this will make making & installing KSP modpacks easier since one can just zip up all the (non-Squad) folders and post it, without having to check with every mod author for consent.

What's in it for the mod author? This argument only addresses the perspective of the mod pack creator.

I have only one question for this thread:
Why do we need mod-packs at all?

I see no advantages to installing via a mod pack, individual downloads aren't difficult, and if you want ridiculously easy installation just distribute a .ckan file.
If this were a game where inter-mod compatibility requires a lot of tweaking, I'd see a need for mod packs with all the kinks worked out, but for KSP it's repackaging and nothing more.

What purpose do KSP mod-packs actually serve, besides recognition for the packer on the back of other peoples work? Why would anyone want one of these things? :confused:

Edited by steve_v

Trying to streamline this to a yes/no list is a waste of time any worthwhile modpack/modpack curator needs to be able demonstrate that they can dedicate the time to add value and provide support for thier pack otherwise they will be met with the same rejection every other modpack effort has met in this community outside of a select few like realism overhaul. That means they actually need to talk to the mod authors.

The concept of modpacks largely appeals to the users that bring them up as a means of getting internet points via low effort content. Afterall Kerbal is more robust to mod than something like minecraft, or a bethesda game where such packs are very popular, but because of this robustness there really isn't a need to merge mods for compatibility in kerbal. Things more often than not just work, and that means a mod pack curator will need to put in even more effort than other games to justify thier packs existence. The curators who realize this soon quit modding or step up to add value/make original mods of thier own. The curators that don't realize this inevitably release a buggy pile that draws the ire of everyone involved making them even more hostile to the idea of future modpacks.

Edited by passinglurker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.