I traveled to Eeloo's surface and back using 1 fuel tank

JacobJHC

1 hour ago, KAL 9000 said:

No gravity assists whatsoever

Except for the 2 Jool gravity assists to save fuel on a plane change and the 1 Kerbin assist to slow down my orbit and save fuel. Did you even watch the video?

1 hour ago, KAL 9000 said:

hazard-ish couldn't have gone to Tylo, which is closer

Tylo being closer doesn't mean it takes less fuel Going to Tylo's surface from a low orbit would require around 5000 meters per second of delta-v to land and return to orbit, but probably more. For my Eeloo landing I only had to burn off around 1300 because the gravity is lower.

This video is legitimate.

Edited by JacobJHC

19 hours ago, KAL 9000 said:

Not to offend, but this is probably fake. No gravity assists whatsoever, and @Matt Lowne has a video showing that @hazard-ish couldn't have gone to Tylo, which is closer, with a single fuel tank using gravity assists. The Delta-V requirements are just too strict.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 4:21 PM, JacobJHC said:

This was done for this week's reddit challenge.

I placed down 1 fuel tank and mechjeb says I have 3823 delta-v and I need 10,000+ to make it to Eeloo, proving this video is not legit. And I made a mega mothership with 10 liquid fuel tanks in kerbin orbit and lost 2/3rds of the fuel from going to duna and back including many gravity assists.

Edited by The Moose In Your House

19 hours ago, JacobJHC said:

Except for the 2 Jool gravity assists to save fuel on a plane change and the 1 Kerbin assist to slow down my orbit and save fuel. Did you even watch the video?

My mistake, I forgot about those. Still, at those trajectories, those would have saved you at most 3 km/s.

Edited by KAL 9000

30 minutes ago, The Moose In Your House said:

I placed down 1 fuel tank and mechjeb says I have 3823 delta-v and I need 10,000+ to make it to Eeloo, proving this video is not legit. And I made a mega mothership with 10 liquid fuel tanks in kerbin orbit and lost 2/3rds of the fuel from going to duna and back including many gravity assists.

T6qZVwj.png

With oxidizer I do not have the delta-v, BUT nuclear engines do not use oxidizer. 

PJoQ79D.png

So if I remove the unneeded 40 tons of oxidizer I now have the delta-v required. 

32 minutes ago, The Moose In Your House said:

this video is not legit

Yes it is, if you don't believe me still download the craft and fly it the same profile into orbit I did. Also, using gravity assists you only need around 6.5 kilometers per second of delta-v to pull off the mission.

Craft file: https://kerbalx.com/JacobJHC/Orange-Efficiency-II

9 minutes ago, KAL 9000 said:

Still, at those trajectories, those would have saved you at most 3 km/s.

That is a lot of saved velocity. Even if I was short on fuel I could have conducted an aerocapture saving me an extra 800ish meters per second of delta-v.

19 hours ago, JacobJHC said:

This video is legitimate.

I'm inclined to believe it is legit... the main reason, you've made no attempt to hide your fuel consumption through out the video.

Well done.  :)

4 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I'm inclined to believe it is legit... the main reason, you've made no attempt to hide your fuel consumption through out the video.

Thank you :D

Edited by JacobJHC

3 hours ago, JacobJHC said:

T6qZVwj.png

With oxidizer I do not have the delta-v, BUT nuclear engines do not use oxidizer. 

PJoQ79D.png

So if I remove the unneeded 40 tons of oxidizer I now have the delta-v required. 

Yes it is, if you don't believe me still download the craft and fly it the same profile into orbit I did. Also, using gravity assists you only need around 6.5 kilometers per second of delta-v to pull off the mission.

Craft file: https://kerbalx.com/JacobJHC/Orange-Efficiency-II

That is a lot of saved velocity. Even if I was short on fuel I could have conducted an aerocapture saving me an extra 800ish meters per second of delta-v.

still, not enough.

Edited by The Moose In Your House

Just now, The Moose In Your House said:

still, not enough.

With gravity assists it is enough. If I launch from LKO directly to Eeloo without a plane change the capture burn would be giant as I would need to match Eeloo's orbit and conduct a plane change at the same time. By using Jool twice I barely burned any fuel changing planes.

2 minutes ago, JacobJHC said:

With gravity assists it is enough. If I launch from LKO directly to Eeloo without a plane change the capture burn would be giant as I would need to match Eeloo's orbit and conduct a plane change at the same time. By using Jool twice I barely burned any fuel changing planes.

I did the same thing with one fuel tank and 2 nerv engines, it ran out of fuel near dres.

1 minute ago, The Moose In Your House said:

I did the same thing with one fuel tank and 2 nerv engines, it ran out of fuel near dres.

How much fuel did you spend getting into orbit? Which engines did you use? Did you remove the oxidizer?

Edited by JacobJHC

Just now, JacobJHC said:

How much fuel did you spend getting into orbit? Which engines did you use

2 nerv engines, and got it into orbit using a rocket.

3 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I said he has fuel tanks within the fuel tanks not him having infinite fuel

10 minutes ago, The Moose In Your House said:

I said he has fuel tanks within the fuel tanks not him having infinite fuel

In the video the craft has a maximum capasity for 6,480 units of liquid fuel, the exact amount for that fuel tank. There are no fuel tanks inside of that fuel tank.

I have to leave right now, so I'll explain more later, but I googled a Delta V map and with 10-ish KM/s and RAPIERS for Kerbin ascent, and with the gravity assists it's about 4500 from Kerbin to escape, 500 for corrections (5k), 2 for slowing down and landing, and 2 for the transfer back, totaling 9km/s.

I think its' doable.

1 minute ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I have to leave right now, so I'll explain more later, but I googled a Delta V map and with 10-ish KM/s and RAPIERS for Kerbin ascent, and with the gravity assists it's about 4500 from Kerbin to escape, 500 for corrections (5k), 2 for slowing down and landing, and 2 for the transfer back, totaling 9km/s.

I think its' doable.

I tried it but it ran out of fuel.

I'm not gonna argue any more. It may be fake, but I see no sign of the video being clipped or edited, or any real suspicious dips or spikes in his fuel consumption. 

I'll put it this way, without more evidence, I have no reason not to believe it.

Edited by Just Jim

7 minutes ago, nascarlaser1 said:

looks real to me, but either way, real or fake, that was a fun video to watch :D.

Where does the cool EVA suit come from?

The suits come form this link. I don't know why the visors aren't working but I didn't want them too anyway. The download should have texture replacer in it but it may be outdated.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.