NullReferenceException saving game after mission

After flying a mission, I am unable to save my game. When I click the button to confirm a quicksave, the UI gets stuck in a wierd state where I can't do anything, until I hit ESC again. If I click Exit to Desktop, nothing happens. (I also tried returning to space center or tracking station - nothing happens when I click those, either.)

When I click save, I see a NullReferenceException. The output log was also getting spammed continuously with that "root part drag cube" error message:

OS, game version and other details listed at the bottom, after the stack trace.

[FlightIntegrator]: Root part's drag cube is still zeroed!

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

The Miner Thing Mk I Relay Debris Unloaded

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at CompoundPart.GetReferenceTransform () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ProtoPartSnapshot..ctor (.Part PartRef, .ProtoVessel protoVessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ProtoVessel..ctor (.Vessel VesselRef) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Vessel.Unload () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Vessel.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at CompoundPart.GetReferenceTransform () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ProtoPartSnapshot..ctor (.Part PartRef, .ProtoVessel protoVessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ProtoVessel..ctor (.Vessel VesselRef) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Vessel.BackupVessel () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at FlightState..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Game.Updated () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at QuickSaveLoad.doSave (System.String filename) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at QuickSaveLoad.OnSaveAsClose (System.String saveName, Boolean pauseGame, .FinishedSaveLoadDialogCallback onSaveAsCloseReturn) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at QuickSaveLoad.ConfirmDialog (Boolean pauseGame, .FinishedSaveLoadDialogCallback onSaveAsCloseReturn) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at QuickSaveLoad+<SpawnSaveAsDialog>c__AnonStorey15F.<>m__1FC () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DialogGUIButton.OptionSelected () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DialogGUIButton.<Create>m__6FD () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall.Invoke (System.Object[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCallList.Invoke (System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.Events.UnityEventBase.Invoke (System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent.Invoke () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.UI.Button.Press () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.UI.Button.OnPointerClick (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute (IPointerClickHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[IPointerClickHandler] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData, UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventFunction`1 functor) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents:Execute(GameObject, BaseEventData, EventFunction`1)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:ProcessMousePress(MouseButtonEventData)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:ProcessMouseEvent(Int32)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:ProcessMouseEvent()
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:Process()
UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()

-------------------------------

System/game specs:

Windows 10 x64 (launched with 64-bit version option) on Steam. Updated 05/27/2017.

No game mods installed.

[config]
build id = 01804
2017.05.25 at 19:56:39 CEST
Branch: master
language = en-us

Related files:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kw9bhc2idmlfmtb/AADPOFJcDKU4dyEn7vGsEihga?dl=0

Since I am prevented from saving the game, I don't have a save that demonstrates the issue. I will include the latest save game file that I have.

Details of the game session:

1) Chatted on Steam in-game overlay

2) Went to tracking station

3) Launched using auto-saved ship

4) Grabbed the asteroid that is already in orbit around Kerbin (and has another ship attached to it)

5) Mined with both drills until storage tank is full

6) Separated and returned to Kerbin

7) Ran atmospheric experiments in upper atmosphere over polar ice cap

7) Successful landing on polar ice cap

Note: In some ship stages, manual activation of the engine is required, due to weird behavior during stage separation. Sometimes I have to cycle through debris using square bracket keys to get control of the next stage.

I was not able to quickly reproduce the issue with a fresh launch.

Save game files are from an older version (maybe a originally started maybe 6 months ago; last save is maybe a month or two old - not sure how to check which version).

After force-closing and restarting the game, I was able to start a mission with the auto-saved ship and exit the game normally.

Edited by rmorrise

On 5/27/2017 at 7:43 PM, JPLRepo said:

If you feel there is some piece of information I forgot,  please point out what it is and I will be happy to provide it. I read the guide before posting and provided as much information as I was able.

I tried to rep the issue and could not.  Since I gave you a stack trace from the menu interaction that caused the problem, it should hopefully not be an issue.

If you want to look at the call stack and give me a hint what missing piece of data might have caused it, I would be happy to test again and try to pin it down. If the game is open source,  ping me the SCM link and I can look at the code, too 

• 1 month later...

I get exactly the same problem. 

Do you have any parts within parts (as I do), in your Vessel? As I only get the same error: "[FlightIntegrator]: Root part's drag cube is still zeroed!",  with my Apollo 11 recreation where I have put rocket fuel into my command pod by means of shift+ wasdqe keys.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.