1.2.2 mods in 1.3

Gargamel

Given, to my untrained eye, the 1.3 update didn't seem to change a lot of functionality on the game play side of KSP, will most mods that work in 1.2.2 work in 1.3?

Obviously this is on a per mod basis, and modders will get around to updating their work when they can (thanks all you guys for your work!), but I'm asking in the general case.

But given the load times I encounter (10 minutes or so), It's not practical for me to enable each mod one at a time.  So I'm hoping it will be safe to enable my 'core' mods in one go, and work out errors from there, and then add the extra mods later. 

8 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Given, to my untrained eye, the 1.3 update didn't seem to change a lot of functionality on the game play side of KSP, will most mods that work in 1.2.2 work in 1.3?

Obviously this is on a per mod basis, and modders will get around to updating their work when they can (thanks all you guys for your work!), but I'm asking in the general case.

But given the load times I encounter (10 minutes or so), It's not practical for me to enable each mod one at a time.  So I'm hoping it will be safe to enable my 'core' mods in one go, and work out errors from there, and then add the extra mods later. 

Pure parts mods that only use stock modules will work fine. Any mod that has any file ending with .dll will almost certainly need to be updated. Patch mods that use ModuleManager will work as long as you use the 1.3 version of MM.

Edited by TheRagingIrishman

I do a part mod that changes some part descriptions, and these would need localization. Is there a simple guide to making a text file with a bunch of strings and then pointing one's part descriptions at it?

Just looking at the 1.3 parts, the descriptions point to "#autoloc_xxxxxx" or something like it, and there's a dictionary.cfg file with all of the strings depending on the language. I take it I'd just need to add to dictionary.cfg (can I add supplemental dictionary.cfg files and not lose the Squad ones?) and then point my parts at it.

9 minutes ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

I do a part mod that changes some part descriptions, and these would need localization. Is there a simple guide to making a text file with a bunch of strings and then pointing one's part descriptions at it?

Just looking at the 1.3 parts, the descriptions point to "#autoloc_xxxxxx" or something like it, and there's a dictionary.cfg file with all of the strings depending on the language. I take it I'd just need to add to dictionary.cfg (can I add supplemental dictionary.cfg files and not lose the Squad ones?) and then point my parts at it.

There is a guide stickied in the plugin development help forum.

Edited by Alshain

@Alshain Thanks. I see how to add nodes, and it looks like I can add my own dictionaries with ease. My other worry is colliding with someone else's mod with the "#autoLOC_xxxxxx" tags, or maybe I can use a different tag name like "#exvLOC_xxxxxx" for my tags.

31 minutes ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

@Alshain Thanks. I see how to add nodes, and it looks like I can add my own dictionaries with ease. My other worry is colliding with someone else's mod with the "#autoLOC_xxxxxx" tags, or maybe I can use a different tag name like "#exvLOC_xxxxxx" for my tags.

SQUAD devs told us that the entire "#autoLOC_" prefix was created by an automatic tokenization utility that they ran, and that mods should use "modName_stringName" instead.

1 hour ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

Yes you should absolutely change the name if you are creating a custom dictionary.  Otherwise there will be conflicts.

Of course if you are writing a plugin you can use Squad's dictionary too.

@JPLRepo may want to clarify this in his guide.

Edited by Alshain

You can use whatever you want as the tag. However, it is suggested you use something unique.
for example for my mods I'm using "#autoLOC_<modabbreviation>_xxxxxxxx"

.. and yes of course you can use the stock tags if you have parity with any. Be aware though - you need to consider things like context, gender, etc when reusing tags. So a word - eg "Extend" or "Retract"  may have completely different meanings in different languages or even in the same language for different "Types" or "Genders" of parts. As an example.

15 hours ago, Gargamel said:

meh.... most of my mods are DLL's... so I'll just have to wait. 

I have been pleasantly surprised by how many of the core mods are already changed.

The Kerbaltek mods, MechJeb, the KIS and KAS pair, fuel switches and Module Manager, There's a lot out there. And one or two items I hadn't noticed before which could be handy.

If there is a weakness it is that there are so many parallel sources.

17 hours ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

There is already a beta out of a Polish-language pack

Maybe somebody should prepare a Polari language pack...

"Hello, I'm Julian Kerman, and this is my friend Sandy."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.