Weekly Aircraft Development Competition

On 2017/7/24 at 6:00 PM, MiffedStarfish said:

Apologies for the delay, I had a big barbecue which completely disrupted my sleep schedule. The winner of the rocket plane competition is @Vexnium, take it away!

So umm, what is the topic of this week?

1 hour ago, dundun92 said:

Supersonic nuclear bomber! Needs to carry at least 15t of bombs

Sounds great. I accidently built one today without knowing about the challenge... If you will define the specs more I will take a look if my craft suits them and put it on here.

Week 9.

Supersoinc  Nuclear Bomber

Requirements:

Payload: at least 15 t of internal, droppable payload.

Weight: Max, 20t Empty of every resource.

Speed: at least 500 m/s

Range: To desert continent and back.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, no_intelligence said:

Sounds great. I accidently built one today without knowing about the challenge... If you will define the specs more I will take a look if my craft suits them and put it on here.

1 hour ago, dundun92 said:

Week 9.

Supersoinc  Nuclear Bomber

Requirements:

Payload: at least 15 t of internal, droppable payload.

Weight: Max, 20t Empty

Speed: at least 500 m/s

Range: To desert continent and back.

Yeah. 20t empty is a real challenge, especially with the given minimum range. Maybe @dundun92 should clarify if empty means including or excluding fuel. My current build weights 17t including fuel, got also 16.25t payload but only reaches the desert continent and cannot fly back. Therefore it hits 1200+ m/s. :confused:

My build i mentioned yesterday would suit all requirements but is a lot heavier. About 130t with 40 or 50t payload and a range of bit more than 1/2 Kerbin at a max speed of 1350+ m/s.

Edited by no_intelligence

Narrow weight limits, it's going to be challenging :D

I had a flying wing style bomber under construction, but without engines and part of the fusselage still missing it's already 43 tons... i will try to build a smaller version and see how it handles supersonic flight.

So then, seems I am the first one to enter a craft for this weeks challenge. It is called the "Koeing BK-02", with "BK" standing for "Bomber Kerbini" i guess :)

It weights a total of 35.99 tonnes fully loaded with 3*FLT800 each 4.5t and 1*FLT400 2.25t tanks as bombs. Taking them out of the mass results in an empty weight of 20.24 tonnes including fuel. Yes i overran the limit by 0.24 tonnes, but if you change the large landing gear with medium ones it will result in 19.94 tonnes :P So I assume this will count.

It flies really great and can reach the desert continent at ease and even is able to fly back without dropping the bombs. If they are dropped it may even have an more increased range. Optimum speed is about 800m/s at 11,000 to 12,000 metres height. With this parametres it burns around 0.9 to 1u/s. The max speed I have not tested, just reached arount 1100m/s or so before aborted.

The craft can be found here: https://kerbalx.com/no_intelligence/Koeing-BK-02

Btw.: It is build completely with stock parts, I even haven't got any mods installed...

Here are some pictures and a short story of the flight:

Spoiler

lfgu8bwt.jpg

Just started at the KSC, made the 180° turn and now climbing.

olomn6oj.jpg

Over the ocean at cruise altitude and speed, the desert continent already in sight.

xhobs363.jpg

Performing the tur around with opened loading bay to show the bombs. It actually cost me loads of speed and altitude to turn it aorund which wasted a lot of fuel...

giwks9b8.jpg

Set course back to the KSC, climbing an regaining altitude.

yy79dt7n.jpg

Yep. That's a long way home, Jeb.

jtu8dzyr.jpg

Land in sight! Let's pray the fuel will be sufficient.

yjjdddgm.jpg

Reached the mountains again. And yay, the KSC is in sight.

bz5777sl.jpg

Last correction turn to get on a good approach.

ge3o3vym.jpg

Bombs still inside. Opened the cargo bay to reduce speed but still looks really high and fast for a landing :sealed:

a77ied2r.jpg

Half the runway behind, still very fasst. This is not going to end well, Jeb. Abort! Abort!

yedizl9q.jpg

Gone around. Oh crap. The tanks are near empty.

bmyffbf8.jpg

Dropping the bombs to loose some weight for the second try.

5cdy33r7.jpg

Yep. That looks a lot more stable.

et7v6w8b.jpg

Nearly there. You can do it, Jeb!

gdlfic2h.jpg

Uff. Done it. The baby is on the ground, let's see how much fuel is left...

kzkozbvd.jpg

Mh. Is there any fuel left? Wouldn't possibly be enough to get back to the hangar :D

Edited by no_intelligence

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.