Weekly Aircraft Development Competition

Stunt plane it is.

Week 5:

Class: Acrobatics/Racing plane 

You are to build a plane capable of high speeds with a tight turning circle. It should have a relatively short wingspan to be able to fly through hoops.

Weight: maximum 20 tons

Speed: at least 300m/s

Payload: None

Range: at least 20km

Crew: at least one pilot

Cost: max 100,000 funds

Enjoy!

(in case you hadn't guessed, the proving mission will be flying through hoops a round the KSC in a race track, and trying to get the best time.)

As for replacing weight with engines, I think I'll keep weight so as to limit designs as little as possible, and keep entries diverse.

14 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

With the polls closed and the votes in, I'm happy to announce the winner of the Cloud Seeding Aircraft Competition to be... no one. Both @Speeding Mullet's and @Vexnium's planes had 5 votes each, making it a draw. 

@Vexnium joint congratulations!  To be honest I loved the detail you put into your plane, the viewing platform was particularly nice!  Well done!

@MiffedStarfish I would have wanted to design the next "mission", but timezones (I'm in Australia) looked to have worked against me.  Perhaps I'll enter again soon.  Great challenge :)

SM

9 hours ago, Joseph Kerman said:

Aerobatics. Supermaneuverability isn't new to me, so i may take this.

Which rings?

Maybe the ones in the R&D. (You know the gaps in the buildings)

So, WaffleTech Military Technologies had discovered an abandoned hangar and found blueprints for a secret project. An old WWII jet came along with it. Without hesitation, the craft was immediately sent to the aviation museum and began work on the craft. After 3 years, they have successfully rebuilt the jet, as a trainer jet.

Much appreciated @Speeding Mullet for that warm welcome! My laptop burnt out last week so I couldn't reply at once.

Proudly pronounce the CA179S !

Mass: 5.242t / 9.642t (full load)

Size: 5.8mH, 12.5mW, 10.8mL

Crew: 2 pilots, experienced recommended

Mod using: Tweak scale, Airplane plus and B9 procedural wings.

For some reason the Kerbin-side Airrace does not working on my ksp(1.3.0), so there is no race record about it.

Edited by Vexnium

8 hours ago, dundun93 said:

Does anyone know what the next challenge will be?

I do!

Week 6:

Class: Amphibious aircraft.

Your mission is to design and build an amphibious aircraft capable of deploying a water craft of any description.  It should be able to takeoff and land from land or water, as well as being able to transfer from water to land and vice versa.  It should have a minimum crew of two and be capable of carrying four passengers in addition to the crew.

Cost: Maximum :funds:150,000

Weight limit - 100t

Payload: A water craft of some description capable of un-docking and docking.

Range: Just show me an interesting spot of your choice :)

Crew: Minimum crew of two, plus 4 passengers minimum.

Thanks for pinging me @MiffedStarfish and enjoy your holiday!  Good luck to all entrants...

SM

4 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

I do!

Week 6:

Your mission is to design and build an amphibious aircraft capable of deploying a water craft of any description.  It should be able to takeoff and land from land or water, as well as being able to transfer from water to land and vice versa.  It should have a minimum crew of two and be capable of carrying four passengers in addition to the crew.

Weight limit - 100t

Thanks for pinging me @MiffedStarfish and enjoy your holiday!  Good luck to all entrants...

SM

I will make a PBY-5 Catalina

10 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

I do!

Week 6:

Weight limit - 100t

SM

Challenging one! Any example.craft of the boat/water craft? Can't build one without the size of it.

39 minutes ago, dundun93 said:

I know that this is off subject but how did you get such high detail water effects?

I would have to guess Scaterrer.

4 hours ago, qzgy said:

I would have to guess Scaterrer.

Correct, SVE and Scatterer I believe.

43 minutes ago, dundun93 said:

@Speeding Mullet you should do a hanglider competition sometime.

It's not my OP so I'd need to win one of the weeklies to do it again.  If I did then I'd probably go for wing-suits rather than gliders.  I made one once and it was some of the most fun I've had in KSP to this day.  there's something beautiful about wing suiting on Kerbin:

MOQs6cdr.png

Might spin it off into a separate "challenge" if there was enough interest.

SM

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.