There's Class A asteroids... and then there's this. (Turns out the actual asteroid mesh failed to load the first time.)

So, I decided to go get a class A asteroid with a probe. When I got the probe to the asteroid, however, the asteroid... wasn't what I expected it to be. When I landed I got this screenshot.

LTq1XqW.jpg

There's Class A asteroids. And then there's this. There is so little mass in the asteroid that there was literally no listing in its menu, it had no effect on the operation of the craft, and it clipped through the ground... plus the obvious cube shape.

Minor bug? Probably. Why am I not putting in this in the bug report forum? Because this is such an alien event (even for the Kerbal universe) that it merits posting here.

I renamed the asteroid "The Glitch" for obvious reasons.

Thoughts?

Edited by UnionPacific1983WP

59 minutes ago, UnionPacific1983WP said:

So, I decided to go get a class A asteroid with a probe. When I got the probe to the asteroid, however, the asteroid... wasn't what I expected it to be. When I landed I got this screenshot.

LTq1XqW.jpg

There's Class A asteroids. And then there's this. There is so little mass in the asteroid that there was literally no listing in its menu, it had no effect on the operation of the craft, and it clipped through the ground... plus the obvious cube shape.

Minor bug? Probably. Why am I not putting in this in the bug report forum? Because this is such an alien event (even for the Kerbal universe) that it merits posting here.

Thoughts?

(Gets back on topic) (Changes voice to The Giver's) What did you use to take a screenshot of it?

Edited by The Moose In Your House

1 hour ago, UnionPacific1983WP said:

LTq1XqW.jpg

Thoughts?

Ok but [excrement]posting aside seriously what is going on here? I just checked the parts/misc/potatoroid folder, and the only mesh file is Cube.mu yet the part.cfg for the asteroids points to a potatoroid.mu

Has anyone else gone asteroid hunting in 1.3?

Edit: Oh and I brought Cube.mu into blender and its definitely just a cube

Edited by passinglurker

Ok, guys, let's keep this on topic. Some posts have been removed that had nothing to do with the topic.

In the future, if you see a thread going off topic, report it. :) You'll get our attention a lot quicker.

58 minutes ago, The Moose In Your House said:

(Gets back on topic) (Changes voice to The Giver's) What did you use to take a screenshot of it?

I used the in-game screenshot - aka "F1".

50 minutes ago, passinglurker said:

Ok but [excrement]posting aside seriously what is going on here? I just checked the parts/misc/potatoroid folder, and the only mesh file is Cube.mu yet the part.cfg for the asteroids points to a potatoroid.mu

Has anyone else gone asteroid hunting in 1.3?

Edit: Oh and I brought Cube.mu into blender and its definitely just a cube

This is in 1.2.2 (yes I'm staying in 1.2.2 because I don't need the additional languages but that's besides the topic...) so perhaps... maybe it was never anticipated that anyone would want to capture a class A so it was never fully finished... I have no idea.

I think the kraken replaced his favourite baby pet rock with a stone block from Minecraft in order to keep its baby safe.

Edited by NSEP

Hey all.

I have a theory.

For in-game calculations and things. All asteroid have a cube in the middle.

Here you can see Valentina having a regolith bath after docking with one.

rLY8zyh.png

Jeb told her that if you put your head inside and asteroid close your eyes, twist your tongue and make a wish while holding your breath then your wish will come true.

jdMDHuGg.png

In this case she whished to see the cubic core diamond inside.

pEWnKLh.png

When you encounter one (An asteroid) and you move the camera around sometime it (The camera) will clip through the crust and you can see it.

In this case the game somehow made generated one (An asteroid not the cube) small enough to be smaller than it's core.

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

29 minutes ago, Martian Emigrant said:

In this case the game somehow made generated one (An asteroid not the cube) small enough to be smaller than it's core.

ME

Yeah, strange a bug as it sounds, this was also my thought... did it actually generate an asteroid smaller than the cube itself?

I would be tempted to keep a cubesteroid, just for laughs.... :)

28 minutes ago, Martian Emigrant said:

All asteroid have a cube in the middle.

Yes indeed. The first time I saw this I was kinda freaked out by this sinister cube thing that had appeared alongside my craft, silently judging me.  Then I realised what it was.

28 minutes ago, Martian Emigrant said:

That sounds like the most logical reason. There should prob be a min limit to ensure this doesn't happen. and why does the cube even need to be rendered? 

16 minutes ago, katateochi said:

Yes indeed. ...... There should prob be a min limit to ensure this doesn't happen. and why does the cube even need to be rendered? 

There probably is a limit. One that was ignored by some quirk of spaghetti coding.

As for why do we see it I will guess that having something to look at is easier for the developers.

And that it doesn't matter as you wouldn't normally see it (most players seem to have not seen them before).

I have not seen them but I suspect there is one in every planet and moon as well.

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

2 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Yeah, strange a bug as it sounds, this was also my thought... did it actually generate an asteroid smaller than the cube itself?

I would be tempted to keep a cubesteroid, just for laughs.... :)

Now what would be really cool is a cluster of these... like half a dozen or so... then we could classify them as cuberoids!

2 hours ago, katateochi said:

Yes indeed. The first time I saw this I was kinda freaked out by this sinister cube thing that had appeared alongside my craft, silently judging me.  Then I realised what it was.

That sounds like the most logical reason. There should prob be a min limit to ensure this doesn't happen. and why does the cube even need to be rendered? 

Yes, this is what I was going to say until I saw your post. I think randomizing the size of asteroids is great but there might need to be a string that limits how small they can be. I'm sure @SQUAD will have a fix for this before too many people encounter them. :D

New development. I loaded up the save again and the whole asteroid was there with my probe attached to its core. When I went to go catch another asteroid, it was also just the cubic core showing, but when I went to the tracking station and back the whole asteroid loaded. That was with a class C asteroid. So apparently it's not a matter of size, but of the actual asteroid model failing to load for some reason.

On 5/29/2017 at 5:18 PM, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Hey, If you can't make it appear, it doesn't matter how big it is.

Amirite guys?

:wink:

If its crust is sitting in another dimension, then that is where its mass should be as well.

Edited by samstarman5
proofreading

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.