Sonic Boom when exceeding the speed of sound

I would not enjoy being jumpscared whenever breaking the barrier all the time. Neither can you really hear a boom while following the thing in real life.

Edited by NSEP

4 hours ago, Daveroski said:

To be realistic though you wouldn't be able to hear a sonic boom while flying in or even along side of the craft that causes it.

Maybe they are already implemented but you just can't hear them when flying.

As there is no difference to the user if they are added or not, why not pretend they have been added already?

I'd like it since it gives relevance to speed in the same way as re-entry heating.

It doesn't have to be loud and startling, but rather will be subtle, audiable and interesting.

It isn't realistic, but coming from the micro planets around what should be a brown dwarf star; I think we can suspend realism for a sonic boom.

Edited by ZooNamedGames

5 minutes ago, Joseph Kerman said:

Honestly, when following a supersonic vehicle, you will not hear the sonic boom, or the craft for the matter.

Granted it's impossible for the camera to track a vessel through everything it does, but it still does.

1. As mentioned above you are moving with the craft and thus wouldn't be able to hear the sonic boom

2. A sonic boom doesn't occur as you immediately pass the sound barrier, rather it is a constant wave front of noise that moves with or behind the craft as it flies. Anything that is moving super sonic will make a sonic boom as it passes you, not just when it breeches the sound barrier. So the whole idea of adding a sonic boom sound to a craft you are in is ridiculous. SONIC BOOMS AREN'T JUST MADE WHEN YOU PASS THE SOUND BARRIER.

On 31.5.2017 at 4:36 PM, MultiFrapser said:

Well guess what, this is a game that in itself is far from realism. So what?

it still trying to emulate reality as closely as it can. That's why we have (somewhat) realistic physics and aerodynamics.

4 hours ago, tater said:

Depends on where the camera is (wait for it):

The only sound I heard was a bunch of people expecting to hear a sonic boom from a landing and the sound of the engines.

On 29.5.2017 at 11:31 AM, RatchetinSpace said:

A sonic boom doesn't occur as you immediately pass the sound barrier, rather it is a constant wave front of noise that moves with or behind the craft as it flies. Anything that is moving super sonic will make a sonic boom as it passes you, not just when it breeches the sound barrier.

Well said. If someone wants a boom sound because of realism, how about constant loud noise that you can only hear if your camera is near the sonic wavefront? I'd welcome that.

5 hours ago, Daveroski said:

The only sound I heard was a bunch of people expecting to hear a sonic boom from a landing and the sound of the engines.

Yeah, because the camera (hence mic) was way off axis of the rocket. I'm not suggesting OP's idea is realistic, I just thought a video from yesterday's Falcon 9 landing was worth hearing :D .

8 hours ago, SchwinnTropius said:

The sound doesn't make much sense, but what about the visual effects of going supersonic?

rTlhVNF.jpg

I know this isn't quite what you mean but I thought it was awesome and it felt pretty badS to outrun my own jetwash by so much at only 4m altitude :cool:

5 hours ago, The_Rocketeer said:

rTlhVNF.jpg

I know this isn't quite what you mean but I thought it was awesome and it felt pretty badS to outrun my own jetwash by so much at only 4m altitude :cool:

That is pretty badS. I'd be lucky just to hold a plane at 4m above water. Lol

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.