[KSP 1.3.1] Interstellar Warp Drive standalone - BETOOOO 2017-10-10

RealGecko

Interstellar is cool, but pretty complex mod.

USI Warp Drive is pretty cool, but does not allow you to time warp.

Here's the intermediate solution: ISWD standalone - almost the same mechanics as in Interstellar, but in vanilla KSP.

FzMbbb3.png

Space Dock

Source Code

Know how:

The idea is that EM decays. So you need "Containment Field" to accumulate and store it. To activate containment field you need current power production 100 EC/s. Once activated containment field consumes 100EC/s and generates 0.01 EM/s. 100EC/s is not big deal if you use something like NFE, but really hard to achieve in stock, so I think it's a good value. If you initiate warp containment field becomes self sufficient, so no EC will be consumed, but EM won't be produced either. Such mechanics makes using warp drive not a piece of cake, but who said that travelling to the stars will be easy? :D

Next, stats:

• Current Gravity Force - shows how deep you're in gravity well, the stronger the force, the lesser the speed you can warp with.
  • Speed Restricted by G - ultimate speed limit of your warp, your warp speed will be dropped automatically as soon as you go deeper into gravity well, so beware, especially when approaching gas giants, as you may end up in sub orbital trajectory without enough EM to initiate escape jump.
  • Current Speed Factor - currently selected warp speed, measured in fractions of C. !!!ACHTUNG!!! - C is "kerbalized" and equals to 29 979 245.8 m/s.
  • Maximum Speed Factor - max allowed warp speed according to gravity well restriction.
  • Minimal Required EM - minimal amount of EM required to initiate warp for the current vessel.
  • Current Requred EM - amount of EM required to initiate warp with the current warp factor (see below)
  • Maximum Required EM - amount of EM required to warp with maximum allowed factor.
  • Current Drives Power - abstract value that affects EM requirements. Can be improved by unlocking new technologies (this part needs to be reviewed as current release may have bugs). Can also be improved with installing more than one WD on your vessel. The higher the factor the lesser EM requirements.
  • Vessel Total Mass - no need to explain. The lesser the mass, the less EM is required to warp.
  • Drives Efficiency - anothe abstract value that shows overall warp efficiency of your vessel.

WARP FACTORS:

You may think about warp factors as electron energy levels in atom, the "lowest" energy level is ONE C, that level requires minimal EM to initiate warp, all other factors will cost more and more. Here's how it looks like:

0.01 > 0.016 > 0.025 > 0.04 > 0.063 > 0.1 > 0.16 > 0.25 > 0.40 > 0.63 > 1.0 < 1.6 < 2.5 < 4.0 < 6.3 < 10 < 16 < 25 < 40 < 63 < 100 < 160 < 250 < 400 < 630 < 1000

So YES, warping lower than C requires more EM. That's current Interstellar mechanics that I kept with this mod.

Increase Factor and Decrease Factor buttons increase and decrease warp factor. Reduce Warp Factor changes warp factor so that you go to lower "energy level".

EM accumulation is done in background, so you can leave you warp ship on the orbit and continue building base on the Mun. Actually no background processing is done at all, instead you get "compensation" of EM according to time you've been away from warp ship, so this process does not eat your CPU time.

Once in warp ship goes on "rails", that means your ship movement is processed by KSP itself and not by this mod, so you can go to tracking station and observe how you warp ship spikes trough time/space. WARNING!!! High speed warp (especially far away from Kerbol) is better observed from tracking station, otherwise you may wake up Kraken and your ship will be desintegrated. That's sometimes true while ship changes SOI, so quicksave is your good friend.

If you loose your EC production containment field will continue to operate until EC is depleted. So you won't loose all your EM once you accidentally retract all your solar panels. EM decays with the rate of 100/s, be carefull.

Launch scenario:

• Deliver your ship to the orbit, the higher orbit is better as G effect of Kerbin will be minimal, so you can warp with the lowest EM requirements possible. 10 megameters is a good start.
  • Make sure your EC production is sufficient, otherwise you'll have really expensive satellite :D
  • Activate containment field, you'll start getting EM immediately.
  • Go and do something interesting like launching tourists to the orbit. EM is produced slowly.
  • Come back to your ship after a little bit and see if you have enough EM.
  • Pick your target and desired warp factor and initiate warp. Side note: I recommend using MJ Smart A.S.S to hold your ship orientation as stock SAS still not that "Smart".
  • You can increase and decrease your warp speed while in warp, but that requires additional EM, so be carefull.
  • If you go too deep into the gravity well, your warp factor will be reduced automatically until to 1 C and then you'll be dropped out of warp as moving slower than C requires more EM, so beware.
  • Once you reached destination deactivate warp drive, but beware that containment field will start sucking up your EC immediately.

I recommend using this mod for travelling to distant stars, for tactial "inside system" jumps USI Warp Drive is much better.

License: KSPI-E Licensce

TODO:

• Delay before warp, like you know: whoooooooo...booooom:cool:
  • Integration with CTT
  • Morph with USI Warp Drive
  • Integrate with RSS, so that C becomes 299 792 458 m/s once it installed.
Edited by RealGecko
Yet Another Mod Update

I'm sure it's on the ToDO list but some more specifics as to how this works in the OP would be nice. I have used interstellar before but that was back in the .24 days and i never actually got to the warp drives so I'm not really sure how it behaves.

Some things that would be nice are:

• What do all the various stats in your UI mean/do?
  • What changes those stats and what kind of effects do changes have on the behavior of the drive?
  • How do we generate EM?
  • Is there a "bubble" like the USI warp drive that will destroy parts outside of it if the drive is activated? If so can we overlap the bubbles with multiple drives to allow for larger ships?

This looks really cool and I definitely like the fact you can time warp with it, that always drove me a little nuts with the USI warp drive.

Thank you!!

On 5/28/2017 at 7:36 AM, RealGecko said:

Interstellar is cool, but pretty complex mod.

USI Warp Drive is pretty cool, but does not allow you to time warp.

I totally agree!

On 5/28/2017 at 10:47 AM, -glenn7252 said:

the gui isnt comming up, i just get a line

I get the same problem. The log keeps spamming this:

(Filename:  Line: -1)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at WarpDrive.AlcubierreDrive.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
  at WarpDrive.Warpotron9000.DrawGUI (Int32 guiId) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Edited by EricL

16 hours ago, RealGecko said:

Alright, guys! I've quickly checked the log and found out that I packed the outdated GameData folder. Just download new version on SpaceDock, this must work. Note: eventhough it's marked as compatible with KSP 1.3.0 it might be not, proceed at your own risk :D

Still doesn't work:

screenshot6.png?dl=1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/3/2017 at 10:40 PM, Eskandare said:

@RealGecko Warp drive doesn't load in KSP for me, it crashes due to thinking there is an empty part config file.

@RealGecko The WarpDrive.dll is telling KSP that the part is in an additional lower directory named WarpDrive, causing the empty config issue.

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'WarpDrive/WarpDrive/WarpDrive/WarpDrive'

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

Crash!!!

While you tend to this I'd like to suggest you rename the part itself and the folder that contains the part. That's too much "WarpDrive" imo. :P 

And maybe rename the download archive. I get it confused with the download for USI's WarpDrive because they're exact except the version number.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

I'd love if the USI warp drive could do something like this for course plotting.
Like, be able to cursor to your target and place an "enter warp" and "exit warp" node of some kind and then show your resulting orbit. No idea how to do that however. Would it be possible to hijack the maneuver node system?

One thing I have never liked about the USI drive is the need to manually pilot it and watch your resulting orbit as you pilot real-time. I know this pretty well. I wrote part of it... Look what the USI drive does for moving through space using Krakensbane, it might help solve your boom problems when watching from flight scene.

Hi!

I get sort of the same logentries (WarpDrive/WarpDrive/WarpDrive/WarpDrive) But for me the game simply crashes while loading.

KP Logfile: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ouhuu53tg6tlst/KSP.log?dl=0

Unity Player log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h70u3n2gcdnwuvs/Player.log?dl=0

This happens regardless of any other mods installed or not. Both on Linux and MacOS

I'd love to make a MM patch that swaps USI's Alcubierre drive with your WarpDrive. But it's kind of hard to test this way. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Warpotron screen refuses to open up. It's just a tiny, thin line on my screen. And with that, every time I put the Warp Drive onto a ship, it floods the console with a buttload of errors.

KSP version is 1.2.2, but CKAN said that it's compatible, and the version checker doesn't say anything.

Modlist

If you need the KSP.log, please tell me. The latest one is, sadly, from a game where I hadn't used it.

Edited by DestinyPlayer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.