boredom

Kerbiter

The short answer is, "whatever you want." :)

You can do practically anything... it's really a question of what you like. Different people like very different things.

Hard to give useful advice, therefore, without knowing where you're coming from. Can you elaborate about your thoughts, here? What's your dilemma?

i do things like story things... check out my recent content such as spaceY reboot or paler blue dot (stale)

i wanna make good stories of different space adventures but the problem is i need a little snap into action? anything? anything at all? please

Stop playing ksp and read. Head over to your local library and pick up a spread of sci-fi from classic to modern. From hard to very soft sci-fi. 

A good place to start would be "The World Turned Upside Down" edited by Drake, Flint, and Baen.

Must...avoid....saying... anything train related!.. Cant!...

Yeah try a train :) not a hype train. a real one.. its a journey of discovery.. start with jet powered ones. you'll naturally progress.. these things grow their own story

I think I know what you're asking, and I hear ya, thinking up stuff to write about isn't always easy. I read your other stuff, it's obvious you already know how to write.... the hard part is done. 

So I guess my advice is to answer your question with a question.

What do you like?

In other words, if you were to go to a movie, or bookstore, what would you be most likely to buy, or to see? Would it be campy sci-fi, or more serious science-fiction, or mystery, or horror, or... well, you get the idea. Figure out what it is, and then set up a game, be it career or sandbox, and play and write about something from that angle.

My Emiko Station is mostly based on old sci-fi and monster movies I grew up on, with my own unique spin added in. But mostly campy sci-fi and horror from the 50's and 60's. I'm writing it this way because that's what I really like, to this day. Seriously, when I log off I'm going to go finish watching the 1954 classic "Them" before I head to bed. 

This is what I would recommend for you... find what it is you like the most, then adapt it to KSP... preferably with your own unique spin, and write about it.

Edited by Just Jim

8 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

thinking up stuff to write about isn't always easy.

Sometimes it can be even harder to stick with what you think up.

I have a couple Google Drive folders full of stories I never finished, as well as a few real life folders. I have continually put off opening up the save file for Project Intrepid, and I have been putting off the next chapter of Voyage for a week or two as well. But - nine times out of ten, I'll always come back to it at least once. So, @Kerbiter, if you get burned out, just let it happen. You'll probably come back to it eventually, with a refreshed mind full of new ideas, trust me. I know from experience. :D

10 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

What do you like?

:D

Thanks. I didn't realize it until now, but that is the true reason I started writing Voyage. I think I write a bit too much of myself into the main character... We're both obsessed with Wintergatan, we both are obsessed with The Final Countdown, we both want to go to space someday, and we both own dusty, old, out of tune spinet pianos... Scratch "wrote a bit too much of myself into," I think Ethan is literally the fictitious version of me, except for our names and out hometowns (although his school's auditorium is based on my school's auditorium).

So, I fully agree with everything @Just Jim said. Write about what you like!

1 minute ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I think I write a bit too much of myself into the main character... We're both obsessed with Wintergatan, we both are obsessed with The Final Countdown, we both want to go to space someday, and we both own dusty, old, out of tune spinet pianos... Scratch "wrote a bit too much of myself into," I think Ethan is literally the fictitious version of me, except for our names and out hometowns (although his school's auditorium is based on my school's auditorium).

Nothing wrong with that at all. In fact, my favorite: H.P. Lovecraft, wrote 6... or maybe 7... different stories with the main character Randolph Carter, who was a fictional alter-ego of himself!

So writing a fictional character based on yourself is not only quite acceptable, it's been done by the very best on a few occasions. :)

Make weird planes. Thats my solution. I already made a paper plane, a hypersuperdupersonic missle, and another paper plane. Thats my way of having fun. Making replicas is also really fun.

Stories: I came up with an idea to use D&D elements in a career to help direct the ideas I have constantly floating around my head. It could be something you can try.

Replicas: you can try real life ships and rockets as mentioned. If you have any other favorite stories that feature ships or planes or literally any other vehicle, you can build it in KSP. Maybe even build a fan story around that afterwards.

you could try something completely different. 

take @Cunjo Carl for example.  he's working on a "speed run" career game where he wants to plant a flag on every celestial body in as little real life time as possible. even the time building a ship is recorded.  this results in way different approach in getting from a to b. you should check out his videos

another option is to start a career game and lower the reward sliders to a minimum and try to unlock the entire tech tree.  that's what I'm currently working on. for me it's a really refreshing challenge because I'm forced to visit all planets to get all the science. i alsoreally have to build ships efficiently in order to make a profit.

i realize that these ideas are quite challenging, but perhaps they help you find something other (similar) cool things to do. 

Edited by xendelaar

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.