Do we depend on new Mod versions for KSP v1.3?

I am using a couple of v1.2.2 mods with no problems, and a couple of much older ones that I needed to edit a while back. So what does v1.3 do?

First, the parts-only mods that use the stock API calls. The classic example of this would be fuel tanks A really old mod would need the attachment nodes editing, so that the bottom node pointed in the correct direction, but the only changes appear to come in the new language system.

Second, the mods which use add-on DLLs. There are already new versions of many of these DLLs. Again, that doesn't always cover the new language system. Most mods use Module Manager, and that's sorted. A more interesting example is this mod:

JSI Advanced Transparent Pods

This changed the name used to call the DLL, several versions back,, which is a minor edit to an old parts.cfg that uses it. You've likely already done it if you're still using an older part, so you just have to use the new add-on version. What you needed to do is replace "JSITransparentPod" in the part.cfg with "JSIAdvTransparentPod",

Looking at what I have tested, most of the changes are invisible to the ordinary user. If you edited an old mod to suit v1.2.2, and the dependencies are updated, it is worth trying. You'll not have the language support, but if you already have a set of favourite mods, how much of a barrier is that?

Earlier mods might need housekeeping adjustments: there have been changes to things such as temperature limits, but I would describe such things as "wrong" rather than "broken".

It almost seems usual that anything involving spaceplanes needs more work, and there seems little point in transferring a saved-game situation just yet. The transition is going far better than I have become used to, and I have just updated a couple of minor elements, such as an old conformal antenna that worked well with spaceplanes.

I would venture that there is a place for a version of some mods without the language support, while there are others which might really benefit. Those Mods with the Russian spacecraft are an obvious example. but would it break them to have a v1.3 interim version?

Edited by Wolf Baginski
Bad finger trouble on original post.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.