Realism Overhaul: Parts Scale

DS1992

Hi, I'm new to the forum.. hello!

So I have been playing with RSS/RO - One major annoying thing I find with RO is that it scales stock parts to match real world equivalences which is great, but the physical sizes no longer match up to what they should.
For example, the large reaction wheel no longer fits flush with the 3 seater command pod, the stack decoupler is also small...nothing fits! Same for parachutes.. RO reccomended RealChute, which works fine but again, put them on the nose  of the 3 seat command pod and its too small...

Great add on and all but would be so much better if grouped parts actually matched

5 hours ago, DS1992 said:

So I have been playing with RSS/RO - One major annoying thing I find with RO is that it scales stock parts to match real world equivalences which is great, but the physical sizes no longer match up to what they should.
For example, the large reaction wheel no longer fits flush with the 3 seater command pod, the stack decoupler is also small...nothing fits! Same for parachutes.. RO reccomended RealChute, which works fine but again, put them on the nose  of the 3 seat command pod and its too small...

Great add on and all but would be so much better if grouped parts actually matched

You need to get procedular parts. That will help you match parts to different sizes. It provides customizable fuel tank sizes and contents, as well as structural interstages and decouplers.

I couldn't imagine RO without it because of your exact issues.

Yep, use procedural structural parts and such to make transitions work better. RO is not like stock's LEGO experience, you need to change your way of thinking to procedural mode. Probably the best way to help your transition is to use no other tanks than procedural. On the plus side, procedurals allow a much wider range of shapes than static meshes, but you may not like the graphics fidelity you end up with. YMMV.

16 hours ago, regex said:

Yep, use procedural structural parts and such to make transitions work better. RO is not like stock's LEGO experience, you need to change your way of thinking to procedural mode. Probably the best way to help your transition is to use no other tanks than procedural. On the plus side, procedurals allow a much wider range of shapes than static meshes, but you may not like the graphics fidelity you end up with. YMMV.

Concerning tanks you are absolutely right. And for getting structural parts to the right size I use TweakScale.

But I too have this problem with other parts, especially parachutes and docking ports. They don't fit really and they are not scalable.

5 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

To be honest, one of the only things that I find irritating about RO is pods not maintaining scale with Kerbals.

Yeah, it bites. Chris and I had plans to fix that before we got busy. Sorry.

On 5/30/2017 at 6:58 AM, DS1992 said:

Short answer: why are you using reaction wheels at all? :P Long answer: hide it all in an interstage fairing shroud and call it a service module (that's generally where you need to stick misc parts). Rockets are so large and some payload items so small that you generally need to plop them in service modules.

For the decoupler--again, interstage. Your tank diameter isn't gonna match your engine's upper diameter anyway, so you'll need a proc interstage, and it's prettier too usually.

For RealChute, use the RealChute parts. They're procedural, you can set what size you like.

5 hours ago, Carraux said:

But I too have this problem with other parts, especially parachutes and docking ports. They don't fit really and they are not scalable.

Aren't parachutes scaled by RealChute? Maybe I'm remembering wrong. Docking ports are a real pain and I've often taken pains to scale a few to form factors that fit pods for my own games, especially since I (and I presume others) play with a headcanon that isn't "Earth's Historical March Into Space" or whatever.

10 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

Short answer: why are you using reaction wheels at all?

Because they're still useful in RO as a passive "attitude fixture method". Granted, this differs from the "vomit coaster" function they serve in stock, but they're still useful.

@DS1992, another good option for getting into Realism Overhaul is to get Real Scale Boosters. The rockets go together more realistically and sizes match, and it helps remind you that lower stages have to be much BIGGER than in stock.

Once you reprogram yourself from trying to build stock scale rockets, then you can get more creative using the tools described by others here.

On 31/05/2017 at 2:04 PM, klgraham1013 said:

To be honest, one of the only things that I find irritating about RO is pods not maintaining scale with Kerbals.

That bothers me too sometimes. But hey, its not a big deal right?

On 1.6.2017 at 9:57 AM, Carraux said:

I was referring to the stock ones. But I will have a look into it, thanx.

Parachutes can be change, there is a 'next size' button in their config menu.

As for docking port, just put an adapter on them (again, proc parts is quite usefull here). That's how it's done in real life, Soyuz and Dragon capsule dock to the same port, but have quite different sizes.

For making customizable rockets, I can also heartily recommend SSTU. Allows you to create really good looking rockets with a few clicks, and the sortiment of engines is really good for RO. (1.3 update will break backwards compatability for SSTU crafts tho, major upgrade)

Edited by Temeter

On 3.6.2017 at 5:23 PM, Temeter said:

As for docking port, just put an adapter on them (again, proc parts is quite usefull here).

An adapter won't work visually. The docking port is larger than the top of the pod.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.