Is anyone here a lawyer?

Hello KSP community.

I have some pressing questions about licensing and changing licenses on a project. If anyone is a lawyer or has dealt with changing licenses on mods, please PM me asap. Thanks!

I think i have it figured out. If anyone has any advice, it would be appreciated. Thank you. 

Edited by Benjamin Kerman

1 minute ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

@Benjamin Kerman I'd recommend giving more details even if you think you've got it. Licensing can be confusing and it's better to say what you think and get corrected if wrong than just hoping you've figured it out. 

I've been having some internal confilicts between myself and a collaborator on a mod that we were developing, and I have decided the team. I still like the work that I did, and he did not contribute anything to it. It is broken at the moment, though, and never worked in the first place. I was planning on forking the repo and then continuing work on the code to try to get it working, but am now planning on just rewriting it entirely. 

I belive that I can license anything that I have written from scratch with any license i would like, in this case ARR. Is this correct?

Not a lawyer but I do create and sell intellectual property for a living.  The one situation you never want to be in is WONDERING what you own.  My contract for work mostly heads this off-  it states who owns what portion of the property, what can be done with it by the other parties... and details what their options are if our arrangement doesn't make it all the way to final deliverables.  

Here after the fact - If you AREN'T starting from scratch...I really want to urge you to come to written agreement about it.  I can't imagine anyone suing anyone over some KSP mod code... but that probably wouldn't be the craziest thing that had EVER happened, right?  Talk about it like adults - ask what THEY want...  it's amazing how often that question gets a surprising answer and you realize that an agreement's within reach.  Maybe he wants to continue using some utility you wrote or some graphics you worked up or something... and in exchange might type the words 'sure, of course you can keep going with that code.'  THEN you say "Why don't we slap 'such and such' a license on it so it's all clear in the future?  You want to remain in the comments or attribution on the release thread?"    I REALLY find very few situations between adults can't be worked out reasonably...  sometimes you just need to wait a day or two.  That's important though - the moment you GET an agreement, slap a license on it so this never comes up in the future.  The license document should generally be the FIRST thing that gets uploaded to github, not the last!   That way every line that gets PR'ed is covered and you know what you can do with it.

Even if law suits aren't on the table... you don't want a cloud of drama surrounding your release...  a group of people who think you stole this or that...  get it all cleared up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.