charModuleName = shieldChar
 }
 RESOURCE
 {
  name = Ablator
  amount = 500
  maxAmount = 500
 } 

into your favorite fairing and awa~~~y you go. well almost there's a few other tweaks to make. but that's your base.

1 minute ago, steuben said:

do able...

just chuck

into your favorite fairing and awa~~~y you go. well almost there's a few other tweaks to make. but that's your base.

Exactly what I would do, but I would make a copy of that specific part folder, and change the name so I have both old and new.

13 hours ago, steuben said:

do able...

just chuck

Wow! Never though it was even possible,

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎02‎.‎06‎.‎2017 at 5:14 AM, Jack Joseph Kerman said:

Does ablator even do anything?

Did you ever try something like this:

dMThhio.png

To be honest I didn't try that aerobraking without ablator. but I bet I hadn't survived without ablator.
However, a ablative fairing sounds like a really good idea. I will try @steuben's solution and see if it need some balance

BTW: the screenshot is from my entry to "The Retro Solar Rescue"

Don't forget the mass of the ablator.  Spitting in the dark rough guess, Figure out the surface area of the heat shield, subtract 30% from the mass for structure of the shield, and that will give you the mass of the ablator itself, per surface area unit.  Then have the mod figure out the surface area of the fairing, and add the appropriate mass to the fairing.  My numbers are pure guesses, but the theory is close enough.   If you want to simulate having only the leading faces have ablator (which makes perfect sense), then reduce the added mass by the appropriate %. 

Edit: lots of little details missed, but you get the idea.

Edited by Gargamel

1 hour ago, Starwaster said:

Warning here: It is possible when adding resource to parts that calculate mass or cost procedurally to end up with negative mass or cost. 

If I remember right: wasn't that eventually traced back to the procedural fairings plugin not correctly implementing the API for procedural parts?

Regardless: yes, do be careful that your config does not wind up causing procedural parts to have negative costs and masses

4 hours ago, Starman4308 said:

If I remember right: wasn't that eventually traced back to the procedural fairings plugin not correctly implementing the API for procedural parts?

Regardless: yes, do be careful that your config does not wind up causing procedural parts to have negative costs and masses

I disagree that it was a case of not implementing the API correctly. In fact I've seen similar behavior in the stock procedural fairing as well.The way that part of the API works is that the base cost as seen in the part's prefab is passed into GetModuleCost(). You're then supposed to determine what the cost delta (whatever is being removed or added to the base cost) and return that value. However, the cost that is passed in is not a true reflection of what the real cost of the part is. If the part has a resource and you use the slider to remove that resource, what gets passed in is not 'part cost minus cost of removed resource'

• Let's say my part costs 900 and 400 of that is resource
  • and I remove the resource using the slider in the editor
  • you would expect that the cost that is passed in should be 500 but it's not. KSP passes in the full 900. 
  • Your mod determines that the new cost is going to be 200 because of reasons. So you return -700 (which is the cost delta)
  • KSP dutifully deducts 700 from the prefab cost.... and then because the player had used the slider it deducts another 400. Congratulations, your part now has a cost of -200.

It was said that the code needed to be resource aware but in fact the opposite is correct. It's better to strip out all resource cost from the base cost and calculate the cost delta based on that. In the above example, that would have resulted in a base cost of 500 being passed to GetModuleCost(). The mod code determines the delta to be (500 - 200 = 300) so KSP deducts the delta of -300 + 400 for the player removed resource. It removes a total of 700 from 900 arriving at the correct price of 200.

It would have been better if KSP had never passed along the resource cost to begin with. OR passed along an updated cost instead of the static prefab cost but that's not what we have to work with. Bottom line is that when resources are involved, the cost is subject to change at the player's whim and the value passed to GetModuleCost() doesn't reflect that change.

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2017 at 4:57 PM, Bonus Eventus said:

Just increase maxTemp. The size 1 fairing has a maxTemp of 2600 while heat shields have a maxTemp of 3300. If you reenter the atmosphere belly first like a spaceplane, that should be more than adequate. 

no i want it to be realistic and during reentry of ICBM the heat reaches much higher then 3300 k it even reaches 4500 k so ablative is needed otherwise the nuclear warhead will be destroyed during terminal phase its both real in real life and also from my personal experience 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.