KSP Challenge: Build and Fly a Mk2.5 Space Shuttle!

About this mod (you can find all of this par. in video I posted above) :

1. mod cool

2. looks like some glitches  in side elements aerodynamic - look at light blue arrows at my video 1;00 - is it in wrong direction?

3. dont find normal connectors for me between Mk2.5 parts and stock Mk1, Mk2, about this:

9eef9823de74.png

4. and again not for this mod, but for STOCK 1.2.2 aerodynamic drag calculate wrong for mk2 cargobays . it calculate elements inside closed cargobay, not total weight and drag for closed cargobay. So spaceship with 1 container what weght 5,5 tonn not receive as much air resistance as rover with 50 parts what weight 5 tonns. So 1-st payload go to space, 2-nd payload - no ....because speed in atmosphere not  up properly. I dont know maybe this bug solved in 1.3? /just put in my ssto mk2 cargobays something with many elements not connected in node-to-node and you see this/

Edited by *MajorTom*

22 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Connectors are in development, will be updating mod soon

Oh, also, I'm having a problem with editor extensions or the mod not causing mirrored parts stacked on top of radial parts not actually mirroring properly - they appear to be facing the same way...

1 minute ago, qzgy said:

Oh, also, I'm having a problem with editor extensions or the mod not causing mirrored parts stacked on top of radial parts not actually mirroring properly - they appear to be facing the same way...

Are you in the SPH or VAB?  If SPH, it's a stock quirk/bug

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

Are you in the SPH or VAB?  If SPH, it's a stock quirk/bug

SPH. Well, if it is just a stock quirk, thanks for the response.

Here it is my entry.

Bravery II - Space Shuttle

J0TYuhi.png

Mission: Go to LKO, rendezvous with a SciencePod, deploy a Relay and bring the pod back and safe.

Relevant extra mods used: Ven's Stock Part Revamp (Only for visuals, no extra parts; The craft file can be used without it).

Video of the mission:

Download the craft files. (Include both payloads).

Objectives achieved:

• Built a shuttle – 10 points
  • Reached orbit – 20 points
  • Landed without damage, all Kerbals survived – 20 points
  • Brought 6,5 K of cargo to orbit (cargo must be deployed) – 6 points
  • Retrieved 1,9 K of cargo from orbit – 2 points

Edit:

Other mods used (Only for visuals and info):

Spoiler

KSP: 1.3 (Win64) - Unity: 5.4.0p4 - OS: Windows 10  (10.0.0) 64bit
Filter Extensions - 3.0
Community Category Kit - 2.0.1
Interstellar Fuel Switch - 2.6
JSIAdvTransparentPods - 0.1.14
Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.1.3
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.6.2
Maeneuver Node Evolved - 1.0.3
MunarIndustries Fuel Tank Expansion - 0.9.5.1
NavBallDockingAlignmentIndicatorCE - 1.0.2
Olympic1's Icon Packs - 0.10.3
Portrait Stats - 1.0.14
Mk2.5 Spaceplane Parts - 1.4.0.1
ReentryParticleEffect - 1.2.0.1
Stock Visual Enhancements - 1.2.3
Trajectories - 1.6.7
Alternate Resource Panel - 2.9.1

Edit2: I change the video for a shorter version

Edited by GonDragon

My entry, "Jeb's Dream".    (It has mechjeb but I successfully flew it without it, just because I can't fly and take snapshots at the same time.

After making orbit I used monopropellant thrusters to deorbit, sadly the screenshot is gone. ;.;

After slowly gliding near the ground "Jeb's Dream" uses a nose parachute on the nose and fuselage to evenly balance the craft to prevent damage.

After the mission the boosters and the shuttles get reused, I was too lazy to do it when taking the snapshots to parachute so I ditched them.

"Jeb's dream" download here:https://kerbalx.com/Dexter_Nexter/DX-Rocket-Co-V-6-Jebs-Dream

My KerbalX account:https://kerbalx.com/Dexter_Nexter )

Landed without damage, all Kerbals survived – 20 points

Built a shuttle or SSTO – 10 points

Reached orbit – 20 points

20+10+20+10=60 points

Edited by The Moose In Your House

So I did some work on my shuttle for a second attempt. To make a long story short, I ended up with a space shuttle in orbit with half of the left wing missing. So my second attempt ended up being a rescue mission. 

Even so I was able to demonstrate a 16.26 ton payload to orbit. Might have been able to land it with that too, but I chose to ditch it on orbit to allow the rescue mission.

So that gives me

Built a shuttle - 10 points

Reached orbit - 20 points

Landed without damage, all Kerbals survived - 20 points

Brought 16.26 tons of payload to orbit (cargo deployed) - 16.26 points (guess I'll round to 16 points)

10 + 20 + 20 + 16 = 66 points

Craft File

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139
Added craft file and gave the thing a name. "Kuyper Shuttle"

1 hour ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

So I did some work on my shuttle for a second attempt. To make a long story short, I ended up with a space shuttle in orbit with half of the left wing missing. So my second attempt ended up being a rescue mission. 

Even so I was able to demonstrate a 16.26 ton payload to orbit. Might have been able to land it with that too, but I chose to ditch it on orbit to allow the rescue mission.

So that gives me

Built a shuttle - 10 points

Reached orbit - 20 points

Landed without damage, all Kerbals survived - 20 points

Brought 16.25 tons of payload to orbit (cargo deployed) - 16.25 points (guess I'll round to 16 points)

10 + 20 + 20 + 16 = 66 points

EpicSpaceTroll139,You must show how much mods you used.

As the aim was to lift as much cargo as possible, I created a "double Shuttle" with two hangar bays. 

I found it impossible to balance ascend the "normal" SpaceShuttle way with one big fuel tank, so I took two smaller ones. It's still a little wobbly, rockets are much easier to build!

I really like these challenges, don't take the criticism too hard @Badie! Its the same everywhere, I really hope internet communication gets more positive soon! 

Here's the craft file: https://kerbalx.com/FuzzyHead/Shuttle-III-05

(12 t of Cargo to orbit, so 62 points)

Mods:(Mk2.5 shuttle parts,  munar Industries, rest for visual/readout only: diverse Kerbal Heads, Chatterer, Kerbal Engineer)

Edited by FuzzyHead
added craft file

My first post to KSP Weekly Challenge.

Reached orbit – 20 points

10.42 ton of Cargo. but insert into reentry course.
Landed without damage. but deployed eight Kerbols dead.(I tried use Physics Range Extender. but they crashed in 4m/s. lol)

=30 points

using MOD
"The Mk 2.5 Space Plane Parts","Munar Industries - Modular Fuel Tank Expansion","EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements","TextureReplacer","GPWS - Warning System for Planes"

Installed MOD
"AviationLights","KIS","KAS","KWRocketryRedux-GraduatedPwr","KWRocketryRedux","JanitorsCloset","WaypointManager","B9-PWings-Fork","Firespitter","FirespitterCore","FirespitterResourcesConfig","NavballDockAlignIndCE","TacFuelBalancer","KerbalAlarmClock"

SSTO SPH Ship save file

Edited by Dervarre

2 hours ago, FuzzyHead said:

I found it impossible to balance ascend the "normal" SpaceShuttle way with one big fuel tank, so I took two smaller ones. It's still a little wobbly, rockets are much easier to build!

Impressive! Wish I had thought of it. The big belly mount tank is a bit of a pain to fly. Not sure how you did the wing tip mounts without KJR but I'm going to give it a try 

Wait! Woot?

I didn't get a notification! @linuxgurugamer Why didn't you tell me that this would be KSP weekly challenge? I thought that would be a normal challenge or something like that!

I see great entries here! It is a pity  I don't have access to my computer, there could be one entry more. 

(  I was like:

Aaaaa? Aaa?! Aaaaaa?!?!?! AAYYYYYYYY LMAAAAOOOOOO)

Just now, cratercracker said:

Wait! Woot?

I didn't get a notification! @linuxgurugamer Why didn't you tell me that this would be KSP weekly challenge? I thought that would be a normal challenge or something like that!

I see great entries here! It is a pity  I don't have access to my computer, there could be one entry more. 

(  I was like:

Aaaaa? Aaa?! Aaaaaa?!?!?! AAYYYYYYYY LMAAAAOOOOOO)

Sorry

I did it and I'm so happy this worked out as planned.

It's not the first shuttle I've ever build but It's the first one I've ever been able to land. Since I'm such a bad Aircraft Pilot, I think It's safe to say that this vessel is just easy to fly.

Craft file (Kerbal X)

Full Album (not 100% up to date as I made some improvements. When you look close, you'll see that the external tank is slightly tilted. This made the Ascent a bit less easy to fly. It has been fixed.)

It's extremely small, agile and stable. And come on, isn't it adorable?

9whBGpi.png
JjwrF1c.png
J6rKhUr.png

I mounted the fuel Tank on top instead of on the side. It's an SSTO with a single Vector engine.

LLhGUTr.png

The Payload on this launch is just a small communication satelite.

PS: I guess I'm going to make a series of vehicles that are easy to use.

Edited by Physics Student

2 minutes ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

Argh, I've been wanting to use this mod for a long time, too bad I won't be able to complete the challenge before the time runs out.

Considering the thrust and efficiency of the vector, you could probably make a rocket-like SSTO by sticking the cockpit on top of a whole bunch of fuel tanks and a vector at the bottom. Doesn't even need wings. Granted, it wouldn't have much payload, but you could post something! :P 

Well, unless the reason you don't have time is because you don't have access to KSP right now.

Just realized I should put up my shuttle's craft file. Might want to do some slight modifications to it. That roll on ascent can get pretty nasty.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.