KSP Challenge: Build and Fly a Mk2.5 Space Shuttle!

1 hour ago, The Moose In Your House said:

Oh, thx. how do you get the badge and what can you do with it?

Unless it changed from the last challenge I entered, Badie sends a PM containing the badge to everyone who completed it. Then you can right-click on it and select save image as.

Then you can put it in your signature.

14 minutes ago, DeltaDizzy said:

Unless it changed from the last challenge I entered, Badie sends a PM containing the badge to everyone who completed it. Then you can right-click on it and select save image as.

Then you can put it in your signature.

Thx, but I don't know how to do the signature.

Edited by The Moose In Your House

On 6/1/2017 at 8:58 PM, 53miner53 said:

Explorer STS-1a complete! 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0eMT8zRijNmLV9uUGJnZkRjOXM

launched 3 2.5t probes, though they don't have the comms range to be anything but impactors. 

Scoring:

Shuttle=10

Orbit=20

Land with no damage=20 (unless you count the EFT. Separated the main boosters a little early)

7.5 tons of cargo=7.5

57 points! 

@53miner53  Need the craft file, please

On 6/2/2017 at 6:13 PM, *MajorTom* said:

Sorry, I did not quite understand:

"to build a shuttle/winged orbiter or SSTO" "The orbiter must be lifted into space by a Launch System that decouples or un-docks once expended, allowing the Orbiter to land entirely under it's own power."

SSTO and decoupled LS? But HOW? is SSTO means single stage to orbit? single = not decoupled engines= not decoupled launch system?

I ask about it because I build 2.5. parts +stock ssto what carries 2 part payload (aka 10km/s dv ion deep space manned spaceship). But Is my SSTO (not spaceship) good for this challenge? If good enough I can build video of flight, if not - please tell where is my misunderstanding...

79ff87c38dc0.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATED

video here (sorry some mistakes in description text because did it at deep night...):

and i made a better energy system for ion spaceship (but lost 1-2 km dV, now 9 km dV if decouple unnecessary empty xenon tanks at right time

Looks like it 55.5 points

50 for flight, 5.5 for 5.5 tonn ion spaceship (i can do heavyer, but dont want in my kerbal space program at this time)

craft file here (if someone want it) http://dropmefiles.com/cr1ZB

Can you please repost the craft file?

On 6/3/2017 at 7:27 AM, ThirdOfSeven said:

I made this small shuttle for my KSP Weekly translation, just to have something in background, but despite being made in urge and haste, it flew well, so I'm posting no-voice version here.

Rocket is completely stock, Shuttle is Mk 2.5. It can have up to 7 kerbals in Crew. No Docking. It has 700 kg sattlelite in cargo bay to be "useful". Landing is completely Kerbal.

KSP 1.2.2 used.

Be inspired to build bigger and more powerful shuttles :)

Craft file, please

On 6/3/2017 at 6:25 PM, snkiz said:

Well I've sucessfully completed my first challange.. sort of. I learned I don't like being constraind to certian parts, and scatter creeps up on you. This was exausting by the end but I only gave myself a few days to do it.

Fist off the album:

780Y29o.jpg

No idea if the embed link works we'll find out..... nope we'll try this one!

Endurance launch

Shuttle 10pts.

orbit     20pts.  (is kerbo stationary extra credit?)

overshot the landing, spashed  10pts. ( 2nd atempt first was at night. Still haven't got my lighting down to manage that!)

launched 3 comsats... at once! 3pts

Mods used: (hint they are on the ship nascar style)

Munar industries

mk 2.5 shuttle

MK 2 expansion (OMS and RCS)

nebula decals (Stickers!) / handrails

DK Salvage (The cargo bay is the reason I wanted to do the challange.)

LE Tech (ladders)

Navigation lights

surface lights

Thats all I puprosly used something else my have snuck in. I did resize some landing gear, thought that'd be ok considering the engines and wings already resized in the mod. Going to share those with Linuxgamer. I don't know how to share  my craft, and I'll have to clean her up a bit. This was her first flight, I need to fix the booster/tank seperation, I fogot action groups and brakes would have been nice. But she's a tough ship.

The guy who does the mk2/3 expansion should give linuxgamer a hand updating this to current spec/art. They almost mesh as they are now and it wouldn't be hard to make all three mods work well together. Some parts are sorly missing. (docking port, Reaction wheel. wasted spaces.) but The Mod has good bones.

First, congrats on finishing your first challenge.

Please upload the craft file

and, you pinged and they responded, a bunch of new part will be released soon

On 6/4/2017 at 1:28 AM, *MajorTom* said:

2. looks like some glitches  in side elements aerodynamic - look at light blue arrows at my video 1;00 - is it in wrong direction

Maybe not, but I can't test without your craft file.  It is possible that is correct, given the shapes of the parts

Thank you all for participating in this.

Entries made by :

• DeltaDizzy
  • zxv_3815
  • 53miner53
  • artwhaley
  • EpicSpaceTroll139
  • *MajorTom*
  • ThirdOfSeven
  • Red Shirt
  • Tinty Moce Fowt
  • snkiz
  • GonDragon
  • The Moose In Your House
  • EpicSpaceTroll139
  • FuzzyHead
  • Dervarre
  • Physics Student

The winner with the highest score is:   @EpicSpaceTroll139, with 66 points:  http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/161331-ksp-challenge-build-and-fly-a-mk25-space-shuttle /&do=findComment&comment=3081788

The winner with the most likes is: @Tinty Moce Fowt, with 9 likes: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/161331-ksp-challenge-build-and-fly-a-mk25-space-shuttle /&do=findComment&comment=3079203

And, my favorites (I couldn't decide) are:

@artwhaley : http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/161331-ksp-challenge-build-and-fly-a-mk25-space-shuttle /&do=findComment&comment=3077133

@Tinty Moce Fowt : http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/161331-ksp-challenge-build-and-fly-a-mk25-space-shuttle /&do=findComment&comment=3079203

In addition to the docking adapter from @artwhaley he has also contributed several other adapters.

I've also gotten more parts from @SuicidalInsanity

Also, the name on the cockpit is now optional, can be removed by right-clicking on the part (in the new release)

I hope to release a final version of both mods either late this evening or tomorrow.

The spaceplane mod will include the submitted craft files.  Craft authors, if you would like to change the name of the craft, let me know.

1 hour ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Aw, looks like I'm late to the party. I'm currently testing or the orbiter made for this... :( 

Oh well, I'll do the next challenge then. :) 

Same..........

@linuxgurugamer Put my craft file on google while I figure out kerbalX. 

Endurance

Edit:

kerbalX says I used Dr. Jets Chop shop, I've been using the DAS-1 for so long I forgot it wasn't stock and RLA is all over the probs that I forgot to take out. :blush: There were a few parts it didn't recognize. Namely the the DK Salvage pack, a couple newer parts in mods it knows about and of course the gear. List is in the spoiler below as I see no linux version of partmapper.

KerbalX link

Spoiler

TubularPlatform, Tube250, Tube1x2H, TeeHalf, Straight1m, Torus0625, EVA handrail type 2a, Elbow45, Torus125, mk25SSME, HDSmallGearBay and LDGearSmall

end edit.

She's a beast up 150 m/s and you have to shut down for tank separation, kill number 1 engine entirely. I'm a bad pilot but I got her up. Probably have to replace the gears as I don't know how linuxgurugamer implemented them.

Edited by snkiz
Added kerbalX

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Thank you all for participating in this.

Entries made by :

• DeltaDizzy
  • zxv_3815
  • 53miner53
  • artwhaley
  • EpicSpaceTroll139
  • *MajorTom*
  • ThirdOfSeven
  • Red Shirt
  • Tinty Moce Fowt
  • snkiz
  • GonDragon
  • The Moose In Your House
  • EpicSpaceTroll139
  • FuzzyHead
  • Dervarre
  • Physics Student

Thank you all for the votes and support!

Thanks again to @Badie for organizing, to @cratercracker for the badge, and to everyone for the creative entries.

And thank you to @linuxgurugamer for evaluating all these entries. I also want to take this opportunity to thank you for the amazing effort you put into preserving and extending so many mods. I didn't want to say earlier (because it would've looked like sucking up) but after attempting to fly another (not as pretty) replica of the Phantom Express that used only stock parts and TweakScale, I realized that I wasn't happy after all, and so I'm making the Mk 2.5 Space Plane Parts a permanent addition to my mod list. I'll be adding a new and more accurate replica of the Phantom Express to my KerbalX page this week (for anyone interested), and it's much more controllable and glides like a dream thanks to some fuel flow priority tweaks but mostly -- I really believe -- due to the flight characteristics of the Mk 2.5 Space Plane mod. So thanks again @linuxgurugamer (and thanks to @RaginCaucasian for the original, and @artwhaley, @SuicidalInsanity, and anyone else who has contributed to this wonderful mod).

17 minutes ago, Tinty Moce Fowt said:

Thank you all for the votes and support!

Thanks again to @Badie for organizing, to @cratercracker for the badge, and to everyone for the creative entries.

And thank you to @linuxgurugamer for evaluating all these entries. I also want to take this opportunity to thank you for the amazing effort you put into preserving and extending so many mods. I didn't want to say earlier (because it would've looked like sucking up) but after attempting to fly another (not as pretty) replica of the Phantom Express that used only stock parts and TweakScale, I realized that I wasn't happy after all, and so I'm making the Mk 2.5 Space Plane Parts a permanent addition to my mod list. I'll be adding a new and more accurate replica of the Phantom Express to my KerbalX page this week (for anyone interested), and it's much more controllable and glides like a dream thanks to some fuel flow priority tweaks but mostly -- I really believe -- due to the flight characteristics of the Mk 2.5 Space Plane mod. So thanks again @linuxgurugamer (and thanks to @RaginCaucasian for the original, and @artwhaley, @SuicidalInsanity, and anyone else who has contributed to this wonderful mod).

Wait until I get the final version of the mod available, it will have new parts and the COM has been adjusted a bit

I just updated Mr. Snuffels. Thanks to RCS Build Aid (my all time favorite mod), it's now always stable (even on ascent) and has a decent set of RCS Thrusters. Some little tweaks here and there made it all around better without changing the design too much.

Honestly, I invested so much work now, please concider adding it. It's really easy to fly!

Here are some up to date immages. It's just a little cuter now, but It's a lot easier to fly.

On my first design, the external Fuel Tank was a bit off center, RCS Build aid for the rescue!

Edited by Physics Student

2 minutes ago, Physics Student said:

I just updated Mr. Snuffels. Thanks to RCS Build Aid (my all time favorite mod), it's now always stable (even on ascent) and has a decent set of RCS Thrusters. Some little tweaks here and there mad it all around better without changing the design too much.

Honestly, I invested so much work now, please concider adding it. It's really easy to fly!

Here are some up to date immages. It's just a little cuter now, but It's a lot easier to fly.

It's too cute to NOT include :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.