[SOLVED] 1.3 Crashes after changing resolution

Fixed by uninstalling Rivatuner and MSI Afterburner. More info:

KSP Version: v1.3.0.1804 Windows 64-bit, updated from v1.2.x

Graphics card: Geforce GTX 1070, Driver version 382.33 (tried before updating and crashed, tried after updating, same problem)

What Happens: Game crashes after changing screen resolution. My monitor resolution is 1650x1050. It crashes when I change to lower or higher resolutions.

Mods / Add-Ons: All Stock

Steps to Replicate:

1- Get a monitor with max resolution of 1650x1050

2- Open the game

3- Change resolution to something else

4- Crash

Gif showing (it is too small, but log files are below with more info):

giphy.gif

Log Files:

output_log.txt

error.log

crash.dmp

Edited by Crabman

The error.log shows "d3d9.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)" instead of a KSP or Unity file. d3d9.dll is Windows library for DirectX, isn't known for causing such errors (and your dll version seems fine). Also the nVidia driver (nvldumdx.dll 22.21.13.8233), though having been reported in connection to various issues, has never emerged to be the cause.

So, can't find any evident cause just now. Would you like doing a couple tests to better define the issue?

1. Launch KSP in DX11 and/or OpenGL mode instead of DX9. Doable by adding " -force-d3d11 " or " -force-glcore " as arguments; with Steam, open Properties for KSP, General tab, Launch settings to paste the argument. If the issue was really caused by d3d9.dll, there shouldn't be an issue in these modes.

2. Save a copy of your settings.cfg file somewhere safe, then use a text editor to open the file within KSP root directory. Search for lines with "SCREEN_RESOLUTION_WIDTH = " and "SCREEN_RESOLUTION_HEIGHT = ", those hold the current resolution settings. Change those to any valid combination supported by your display.

Please make sure to use a combination supported. The display control panel should show which are valid combinations, those should be the same available in KSP settings. Should test 2. work successfully, please verify what KSP settings show for valid resolutions, it is expected those to match with the display control panel.

If none of the above works, further info could be of help. Mind providing output from DXDiag?

Thank you for your time, diomedea

Both workarounds you provided at number 1 worked. Tried with -force-d3d11 and worked perfectly, tried after that with -force-glcore and also worked.

The settings on settings.cfg were already at 1920x1080, but ingame the resolution was capped by my monitor's resolution.

I'll keep using -force-d3d11 for now, thank you!

DxDiag.txt

Happy the workaround worked for you :D

Thanks for DXDiag.info, interestingly in Diagnostics section it also reports a problem with KSP_x64.exe. However I'm not able to find hints in there showing the real cause, sorry.

Believe at this point the cause be tied to that d3d9.dll, though it seems fine to me. Should you have other games using DirectX 9, those also may encounter issues (not necessarily all, sometimes a copy of that dll is installed with a game folder so to not depend on the one in system).

Status update:

I found the problem and fixed. I found this after trying to install another software (Matlab) and wasn't installing, it just crashed always.
It was caused by "EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005)". Coincidence?

On 31/05/2017 at 6:54 AM, diomedea said:

The error.log shows "d3d9.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)" instead of a KSP or Unity file. d3d9.dll is Windows library for DirectX, isn't known for causing such errors (and your dll version seems fine).

Tried reinstalling DirectX, but couldn't because it said I already had the lastest version. I searched a little more and found that this problem might be caused by RivaTurner/MSI Afterburner.

And that was it. Uninstalled both and I could not only install Matlab, but it also fixed Kerbal's crash.

Thank you again!

Edited by Crabman

• 4 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.