KSP Acquired by Take-Two Interactive

UomoCapra

Hello everyone,

We have very exciting news to share with the KSP community today: Take-Two Interactive has purchased Kerbal Space Program. The important thing to know is that this big news doesn’t change much for the KSP community. Squad and the current development team is still here and we’re hard at work on KSP and its future updates, but now we are fortunate enough to do so with the help of an experienced publisher like Take-Two, and we couldn’t be more excited and happy to see where our conjoint collaboration will take KSP forward. 

Right now, we’re still focused on the Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion and we’ll continue to keep you updated on our progress. And yes, we’re keeping our promise of free DLC for everyone who purchased KSP through April 2013! We’re continuing to work closely with Blitworks on the updated version of KSP for consoles, which will be available on the Xbox and PSN digital stores when it is complete. This will be a free update for anyone who already owns KSP on Xbox or PS4. We can’t wait for you to play what we’ve been working on in the coming months! 

This is a very exciting time for KSP and the Community, and we hope you’re as thrilled as we are. The team at Take-Two are big fans of KSP, who have been persistently knocking on our door trying to work with us for a long time. They share your passion for the game and we’re really eager to see what Squad and Take-Two can do together for Kerbal Space Program moving forward! 

Happy launchings!

-The KSP Development Team

8ithNvpRQhlnYWJwx4om6AFClaOR08Gv4eZqSCfq

2 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Mixed emotions on this one. For the sake of the community and the continuance of the game, I hope it works well.

Same. On the one hand, I feel happy for SQUAD and the devs; on the other hand, I'm slightly concerned about the future.

The community... how will they react to this, I wonder? icon_think.gif

Edited by TotallyNotHuman_

Knowing Take Two Interactive I do not trust them. 

This wont be the end of KSP as some will surely say and it saddens me to see this game go to the hands of TT but I guess if it means TT gets it or Squad shuts it down I'd prefer the game to continue existing (maybe now work can start on KSP 2? new engine?)

Good luck to the devs and Squad! oh and to Take Two Interactive - Dont mess this up.

Edited by EladDv

1 minute ago, EladDv said:

Knowing Take Two Interactive I do not trust them.

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to game publishers, so could you please elaborate?

Edited by TotallyNotHuman_
Yeah, no.

Take-Two have been the publisher on quite alot of niech games ive loved over the years that helped spur relevent genres from the dark shadows into the light of mainstream..

I hope KSP (and sandbox games) go through the same blossoming, yeah theres a few sandbox games and physics games, I probably own half of them.. but its the scale that KSP has

if take two can hire good developers to keep a common code base and not kill mods every cycle.. this is going to go great.. theyve obviously aquired KSP when its settled down a bit but remained on the top shelf as far as steam goes.. they wouldnt have done it lightly.. Take Two has some history good and bad.. but I think KSP having its dedicated team back would be a beautiful thing

(And hopefully they kill off autostrut!)

Edited by Overland

Just now, TotallyNotHuman_ said:

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to game publishers, so could you please elaborate?

I've heard some stories from devs on how TT work, I wont divulge most of the details but let's just say that funding can be tight, quality is sometimes sacrificed for hitting deadlines and community support is not at the top of their priorities 

Just now, EladDv said:

I've heard some stories from devs on how TT work, I wont divulge most of the details but let's just say that funding can be tight, quality is sometimes sacrificed for hitting deadlines and community support is not at the top of their priorities

[underlined for emphasis]

Could you kindly point me at some of those sources (in PM, if such a thing is not allowed here)?

1 minute ago, TotallyNotHuman_ said:

Could you kindly point me at some of those sources (in PM, if such a thing is not allowed here)?

Those are personal conversation I've had with devs working in well known companies on well known titles under Take Two and 2K specifically. I'm sorry I cant provide sources out of respect to the privacy of the people I talked with.

But be sure this is industry wide - look on all the half finished buggy games that are coming out lately.

Edited by EladDv

Just now, EladDv said:

Those are personal conversation I've had with devs working in well known companies on well known titles under Take Two and 2K specifically. I'm sorry I cant provide sources out of respect to the privacy of the people I talked with.

Ah, I understand. No need to be sorry.

Thank you for the enlightening conversation nonetheless.

:)

I see a lot of mixed reactions but I am very happy about this. This is a games company at least and this is a publisher who've created my favorite games. I'm seeing rumors about poor funding further up but is that all that much more than rumors surrounding Squad? After all they've brought Civ, GTA, Bioshock, and modern Xcom into the world.

At the least they are definitely not a publisher to push for unnecessary DLC like others.

Edited by Spartwo

8 minutes ago, EladDv said:

The complete opposite is happening here. Take-Two has shown us nothing but its full commitment to make KSP as great as it can be.

4 minutes ago, UomoCapra said:

The complete opposite is happening here. Take-Two has shown us nothing but its full commitment to make KSP as great as it can be.

I sure do hope so! Those stories are but a few cases in a large publishing house. Not all games are being treated the same and I hope KSP gets the best treatment possible (as all games and development houses) but sometimes there are hitches in the road, whether it comes from management or marketing or issues with developers or fans.

I dont want to be a naysayer I'd love it if KSP will continue to grow under the TT umbrella.

Edited by EladDv

4 minutes ago, UomoCapra said:

Looking at Take Two's list of published games, I'd have to agree. Look at GTA V, when it was getting ported to pc, it was delayed by months because it wasn't ready. That didn't make the community happy, but I think it was the right call. 

I should say that take two did take two very very awesome multiplayer mods for GTA 5 down

yeah it was theirs and all , but the way they did it was a bit out of sport . they claimed those mods were rivaling their business . and sent cease and desist letters to the mod devs .

Also i know take two had the right to shut them down and i know GTA Online has in-game purchases , but this attitude for a game like KSP ? Meh :confused:

Edit : however chances are we'll see a brighter and better future for KSP :) 

Edited by Alpha_Mike_741
sounded a lil harsh at first :)