KSP Acquired by Take-Two Interactive

UomoCapra

7 minutes ago, nascarlaser1 said:

soo @SQUAD makes the game and T2 helps sell it?

Almost. Squad makes the game and T2 sells it and gives squad their agreed on cut. And likely T2 mechanizes KSP in any way they see fit. But as unwashed masses, for us this is all speculative and for Squad, they cannot legally tell us even if they wanted to. Which I'd understand if they didn't.

Just now, 5thHorseman said:

Yup. And I don't really follow Minecraft anymore but that seems too have worked out fairly well.

For the most part, yeah. I think the mobile version has microtransactions now or something, but that's what happens to all mobile games.

1 hour ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Hey man, if you won't write let me! I got TONS of ideas to run on!

It's not that I wouldn't do it. If @SQUAD actually thought I was good enough, and wanted me, I would be on-board in a split-second... and they know it.

But they've made it clear, over and over, there isn't supposed to be any kind of official KSP backstory. So as much fun as it would be, I just don't foresee something like this happening, even if they have been bought by Take-Two. 

Just now, Just Jim said:

It's not that I wouldn't do it. If @SQUAD actually thought I was good enough, and wanted me, I would be on-board in a split-second... and they know it.

But they've made it clear, over and over, there isn't supposed to be any kind of official KSP backstory. So as much fun as it would be, I just don't foresee something like this happening, even if they have been bought by Take-Two. 

As far as i'm concerned, the farthest kerbal's "story" goes is that you have a box of rocket parts and some planets and moons to fling them at. Maybe there's a bit more with Career mode, given the agencies and contracts, but that's still barely a story. From there, you can create your own story in your own career.

I don't really know what to think about this to be honest.  I guess I'm thankful it is not a no-name company and it is not a money-grubbing EA style company as far as I know.  I just don't have a single game from Take Two that I can think of.

11 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

I'm excited about the April Fools' Day announcements that can come out of this.

eHDVUAn.png

The forum software does not provide enough facilities to express how amusing I find this.

I have no clue what to think about this. Weird to see a game being sold to a publisher this late in the life-cycle, while retaining the publisher team as an external dev.

It does indicate a future committment to the title, which I very much like. Otherwise the buy wouldn't make sense, as long as T2 isn't outright planning to make KSP2.

4 minutes ago, Alshain said:

I don't really know what to think about this to be honest.  I guess I'm thankful it is not a no-name company and it is not a money-grubbing EA style company as far as I know.  I just don't have a single game from Take Two that I can think of.

Mate, we're talking about Tripple A publishing. Almost everyone there can be described in words that our mods would give me a bunch of warning points for.

As for Take 2, the first thing I can think off is Evolve.

Edited by Temeter

8 minutes ago, Temeter said:

I have no clue what to think about this. Weird to see a game being sold to a publisher this late in the life-cycle, while retaining the publisher team as an external dev.

It does indicate a future committment to the title, which I very much like. Otherwise the buy wouldn't make sense, as long as T2 isn't outright planning to make KSP2.

Mate, we're talking about Tripple A publishing. Almost everyone there can be described in words that our mods would give me a bunch of warning points for.

As for Take 2, the first thing I can think off is Evolve.

Well I pulled up a list of their games, I do have Civ 4 and Civ 5, though I hate Civ 5.  I also have the Bioshock Series which I liked.

Unfortunately some of the other games of theirs that I have don't paint them in a good light.  L.A. Noire is one I purchased prior to the Steam refund system and to date I haven't been able to get more than 20 minutes in without it crashing.  Then there is GTA which has gotten progressively worse since Vice City.  Someone gifted me XCOM: EU, which I find to be a terrible game in general.

Edited by Alshain

I'm seeing a lot of hand-wringing right now.

My take is that this is a good thing. Turning an IP into a franchise is par for the course - think of how many fallout or civ games there have been. Getting a new version of KSP every 4 or 5 years sounds great to me. 

Edited by Norcalplanner

3 minutes ago, Temeter said:

Otherwise the buy wouldn't make sense, as long as T2 isn't outright planning to make KSP2.

I'm kinda thinking that's a given, that Take-Two is going to either develop future Kerbal titles in-house or farm it out to a different developer. Why else would they purchase the trademark outright instead of just negotiating a distribution agreement?

1 minute ago, TheSaint said:

I'm kinda thinking that's a given, that Take-Two is going to either develop future Kerbal titles in-house or farm it out to a different developer. Why else would they purchase the trademark outright instead of just negotiating a distribution agreement?

Hm, I guess you're right. The main article was a bit weird in just saying they 'bought the game'.

30 minutes ago, Temeter said:

Otherwise the buy wouldn't make sense, as long as T2 isn't outright planning to make KSP2.

Of course they are, it's literally in the name of their company.

"Take Two".

1 hour ago, Lupi said:

Something like that. They've bought the rights to publish the game, and presumably they've bought the Kerbal Space Program name and branding. We'll know more as things go forward, though perhaps @UomoCapra or @Badie could better explain.

We can't talk about any specifics of the deal. But basically, this means that Take-Two Interactive now owns the KSP intellectual property. Squad on the other hand will continue to provide support and ongoing development for the title through game updates and expansions, while remaining autonomous and maintaining total creative control. We will however get Take-Two's full support in all kinds of aspects, including but not limited to production support, marketing, development, customer support and QA. This willl allow us to realize our vision with the highest quality standards and to keep KSP alive for many years to come.

13 minutes ago, UomoCapra said:

We can't talk about any specifics of the deal. Buit basically, this means that Take-Two Interactive now owns the KSP intellectual property. Squad on the other hand will continue to provide support and ongoing development for the title through game updates and expansions,

So Squad was bought as well? Or is it basically a "hostage situation" where you guys still continue to work on it so long as you're profitable?

while remaining autonomous and maintaining total creative control.

So long as the IP remains profitable.

We will however get Take-Two's full support in all kinds of aspects, including but not limited to production support, marketing, development, customer support and QA.

So you're not actually going to get complete control.

This willl allow us to realize our vision with the highest quality standards and to keep KSP alive for many years to come.

Yeah, you don't buy an IP just to see it squandered.

Edited by regex

2 hours ago, regex said:

TTI is actually in the business of video games, they're not a marketing-firm-turned-video-game-publisher.

Yet I like very few games from actual video game studios.:P