KSP Acquired by Take-Two Interactive

UomoCapra

5 hours ago, Mako said:

Squad says they have a vision. I hope it's true, but the development of KSP and lack of roadmap leads me to believe KSP was never planned to be what it is today. I can't help but feel that it could be better if there was a plan.

It's a different company than the mid-game EA company that set our (lack of) expectations, I'm sure they've got some sort of plan. Whether they share it or not will continue to color my opinion of them, though.

I predict this will be good or bad or indifferent or some combo of those...just call me Nostradamus ;) .  Just please don't go to the agile model and all that phone home every two seconds crap that kills my already slow network, I can't use software that does that...maybe in 100 years from now when someone puts up a bunch of really cheap satellites offering real uncapped broadband, kind of like the Kerbals seem to have, but until then please don't clog up my bandwidth with all that data on how I use the program.

I'm really happy for all of the team at Squad. It must be so exciting to see your little baby go from EA, to consoles, being able to continue support after full release long enough to generate a paid DLC and now even attracting big name publishers! KSP really is the darling of Steam's early access program. Well done!

Of course we're all protective of KSP as fans and as people we're resistant to change, but I think we need to look past this and accept that if Squad see the benefit in doing this deal, we need to trust them. Of course for yours and our sakes I do hope that it does all work out, but even if it doesn't we really need to appreciate the journey we've all come on together through our shared love of KSP.

Will they be looking to implement micro-transactions to the game? I really, really hope not, but considering their recent statements and track-record with things like GTA online where paying (a lot of) real money is pretty much the online way to realistically get most things, I wouldn't be too optimistic for this game's future... Sorry I couldn't be happy for you. Pretty much any other publisher would be mostly fine by me, it just so happens that is is actually one of the worst publishers out there right now in terms of consumer friendly behaviour. Micro-transactions are inexcusable in paid games. Heck, overprised DLC was bad enough, but what comes from free-to-play games should just stay there. They shouldn't be the industry standard for everything.

Oh, and as if they really didn't have enough micro-transactions in their games yet, just an article regarding their current practices that came out this week: https://www.thetechgame.com/News/sid=11649/we-can-do-more-microtransactions-says-publisher-of-gta-and-red-dead.html

I can't imagine microtransactions in KSP unless they do away with the sandbox mode, which would be quite a drastic change.

But maybe take-two is creative enough to find more ways to milk the customer base? I sure hope not, but even so, I'm gonna keep a copy of the latest "non-ruined" version of the game at all times. Just to be safe. We'll see.

Given the type of game the KSP is, the only thing that I can imagine anyone, doesn't matter what company they are, could possibly make p2p is DLC expansion packs, which squad already started to make the history one a few months ago. Anything else would either cause the game to tank in popularity (and therefor money which would be unwise) and make the current fan base hate them ( which means less people buy said p2p stuff and therefore less money again). If T2 continues with the simple DLC expansion pack idea, I don't think they can mess up too badly.

Edited by nascarlaser1
made it easier to read

I'm afraid they will try to simplify the mechanics of the game too much to make it playable for idiots :-(
Although I never really belonged to the best of mathematics, the difficulty and complexity of this game I appreciated  the most,

The way I see it:

Worst case scenario: I have installs and install files all the way back to 0.90 and I can happily play 1.2.2 and 1.3 for many years yet.

Best case scenario:

T2: RoverDude, we have been looking at USI, and we want you to be the new creative director for KSP.  We are also doubling the size of your team, so get out there and make it Great!

Notes on pay-to-win:

1) single player game with no clear objective, so what is 'win' anyway?

2) we already have an infinite fuel check-box in the cheat menu, along with add/remove buttons for both funds and science, what else could they possibly add?  The ability to jump into just about any orbit of any body, turn off reentry heating and collision damage?  We got that too!

3) the game resource files are all text based, so most players who are able to manually install mods can probably go in and 'improve' just about anything they want even without mods.  Main Sails with 10,000 ISP: sure, Verners that can lift a 25x3.75m stack taller than the VAB?  how many Gs do you want at lift-off?

I think it is pretty safe to say that even if they wanted to, T2 could not add 'pay to win' in any meaningful way.

I think Squad was doing a fine job, but I see no reason to get worried as I can still play 1.3 until I need a VM in a VM in a VM to run an OS with backwards compatibility to windows.

28 minutes ago, Terwin said:

Best case scenario:

T2: RoverDude, we have been looking at USI, and we want you to be the new creative director for KSP.  We are also doubling the size of your team, so get out there and make it Great!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

On 6/1/2017 at 8:28 PM, 5thHorseman said:

I don't know for sure, but I do remember playing some great modded GTA:SA in the day. Those multiplayer races were some of the buggiest - and therefore most fun - races I've ever had the joy to participate in. I do recall reading that Rockstar wasn't supporting mods, but I don't think they did anything to dissuade people.

However I played GTA4 on console and GTA5 not at all (Maybe someday) so don't know how moddable they are on PC. I remember seeing YouTubers doing races on custom maps in GTA5 but don't know if that's as far as modding goes there.

IDK about PC modding either but I have the console version of GTA 5. It's unmoddable and has a lot of missing content compared to the PC version to fit size restrictions/etc.

Edited by _Augustus_

47 minutes ago, Terwin said:

what could he do with that?...

48 minutes ago, Terwin said:

That's pretty much the worst-case scenario, would totally ruin this game. I wouldn't even accept USI as a free DLC.

52 minutes ago, Terwin said:

The way I see it:

Worst case scenario: I have installs and install files all the way back to 0.90 and I can happily play 1.2.2 and 1.3 for many years yet.

Best case scenario:

keep fingers crossed for this. My dream: No bad surprises, game gets finally bugfixed and remains moddable.

On 6/1/2017 at 1:45 PM, regex said:

This, exactly.

And regarding that worst-case scenario, TTI owns KSP and Squad can't do jack about it.I doubt it would even go that far. I view it more as a "hostage situation" where Squad basically has to remain profitable. So long as they're profitable and make TTI money, no one gets hurt.

The difference here is that unlike the typical EA scenario, Squad goes back to being a marketing company.  It might look the same to us, but hopefully plenty of Squad will remain.

On 5/31/2017 at 9:20 PM, Red Iron Crown said:

I don't get how some people think getting an experienced, successful publisher who's interested in making more KSP involved is a bad thing. Even if you aren't a fan of them, they're still an experienced, successful publisher who's interested in making more KSP.

This is really the best news for KSP's future in a long time.

One of the issues with capitalism and franchises is that you it is quite possible to extract too much out of a franchise too fast and kill the franchise.  EA seems to believe that this is the more profitable means, and plenty of other companies follow a similar path (see movie studios).

To be honest, I suspect that Squad has been following the various "KSP sequel" threads and has yet to come up with a workable sequel idea.  The DLC idea* makes sense, and I have to wonder how they work with/around KSPEDU (I seriously hope this doesn't interfere with RO.  I'm going to have to create a bunch of zip files with "complete" sets of mods and KSP editions from here on out.  Good to be hopeful, better to be prepared).

I really wonder if TT really knows what they are doing for KSP2/Kerbal "whatnot" Program or just sees a wildly successful early access and assumes more money will follow.

On 6/2/2017 at 7:28 AM, lodger said:

I'm one of those Linux desktop users, since 1998. If KSP will no longer be released for Linux because some business dude thinks it's not worth doing so I'd be more than disappointed. KSP is by far the best, native Linux game on the market. Unfortunately, business dudes in the gaming industry don't give a snack about Linux. TT is no exception here (ever seen a Linux native GTA release? Me neither!) and if they decide to cut costs (which usually is the first thing that happens after such a deal) I'm pretty sure the Linux version will definately be the first to fall victim to this.

Guess who publishes the *other* big Linux game, Civ 5?

Personally, I dual boot to windows for my gaming (I typically lose half my resolution keeping the fps similar in Linux), but I'm aware of what I can play in my Steam list, and mostly it is KSP, Civ 5, and TIS-100.

On 6/2/2017 at 1:16 PM, Xeiki said:

Hehe, rant time :)

Let me explain with a seemingly unrelated example: The Elder Scrolls.

Wierdly enough, I think I sank more time into TES:IV oblivion than I have into KSP (weird, I know).  I think most of what you are experiencing is simply rose-color glasses.  Also, just because we weren't forced to search out every nook and cranny of Cyrodill doesn't mean we didn't.  We just had the option to do our quest or go exploring.  Also the character progression was simply broken, and the complexity wasn't an excuse (of course this is a bit specific to Oblivion, while Morrowind has optimal leveling, it isn't quite as critical).  Jumping off cliffs/bridges to improve acrobatics or having your feet gnawed by rats to improve armor skill simply isn't fun gameplay, and it was all gone (or at least unnecessary by Skyrim).  Yes, Skyrim was still a bit of a letdown, but only because I had already tasted The Elder Scrolls.  I've bought Morrowind, but can't get myself to really get into it.

The only real point to this (other than to counter this rather common argument) was that I expect the old hands will have similar ideas about KSP, and won't really enjoy KSP2 the same way the next Kerbal generation will.  But don't expect to sell them on KSP (especially if KSP2 is full VR and KSP is stuck in Unity).

Edited by wumpus
the rest of my comments (the forum software added this post after the first quote).

Who remembers Star Wars Galaxies?

A complex game, popular with a niche group. Then the publisher decided that the niche group wasn't profitable enough, so they dumbed down the game to appeal a wider audience.

That wider audience didn't exist.

I'm concerned that T2 will make the same mistake with KSP

It seems to me that the Kerbals themselves are the real moneymaker here.  You've got an established, kid-friendly semi-goofy character that you can now market the hell out of.  Sure, Squad, you go ahead and tinker with KSP, make it work.  Meanwhile, just in time for Christmas, we have a parade of Kerbal-themed games, everything from a clone of the Sims (with Kerbals!) to a clone of Lemmings (Kerbals would be PERFECT for a Lemmings remake)... you could even do a MMO for kids a-la Club Penguin/WebKinz/Animal Jam, but with KERBALS!  Monetizing the Kerbals into a product line makes sense, and you wouldn't have to fool with KSP at all.  KSP introduced and established the brand, but now, let's make it so you don't have to be a junior rocket scientist to play with the Kerbals.  Down the road, once Kerbals are a thing, we roll out KSP2, which is much more user-friendly and a lot less reliant on the user having an IQ over 110.

At least, if I'm T2, that's what I would do.  YMMV.

Edited by MaxPeck

I think we can all agree that having a major games company overseeing development can't really hurt. One might even say that it's about time for some adult supervision :wink:

How dare you spin this as great news for the community, when you know this was one of our biggest worries.

You had made a promise years ago that you would never stoop so low that you would actually sell out like this and yet here we are and you are even spinning it into something positive. Not only did you sell out, but you sold out to one of the biggest and worst publishers that are in love with microtransactions. My bet is that this game will soon be infested with DRM and that they will do their best to limit mods, so that they can sell it to you for profits. I bet Filepe is disgusted by the direction squad has gone after he left, as this goes against everything he wanted for this game.

30 minutes ago, boxman said:

How dare you spin this as great news for the community, when you know this was one of our biggest worries.

I'm not worried. I also wasn't aware that you represent me. 

31 minutes ago, boxman said:

You had made a promise years ago that you would never stoop so low that you would actually sell out like this

I can recall no such promise, and I've been playing since 2012. Link?