KSP Acquired by Take-Two Interactive

UomoCapra

Several posts had to be pruned from this thread.  Folks, just a gentle reminder, please don't discuss or advocate hacking, piracy, or theft, even in jest.  It's not an allowed topic here (see forum rule 2.2.a), and we take this very seriously.  Thank you for your understanding.

4 hours ago, boxman said:

How dare you spin this as great news for the community, when you know this was one of our biggest worries.

You had made a promise years ago that you would never stoop so low that you would actually sell out like this and yet here we are and you are even spinning it into something positive. Not only did you sell out, but you sold out to one of the biggest and worst publishers that are in love with microtransactions. My bet is that this game will soon be infested with DRM and that they will do their best to limit mods, so that they can sell it to you for profits. I bet Filepe is disgusted by the direction squad has gone after he left, as this goes against everything he wanted for this game.

You do realize that Squad PR has confirmed several times that the game will remain modding friendly and drm free right?

1 hour ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

You do realize that Squad PR has confirmed several times that the game will remain modding friendly and drm free right?

Why exactly should I trust anything they say anymore, when their biggest promises was broken in the past, like this very announcement?

Edit: Also this kind of response is completely standard whenever a franchise or studio is bought up. They always say that little to nothing will change, but yet in nearly all cases that turns out to be far from the truth.

4 hours ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

I'm not worried. I also wasn't aware that you represent me. 

I can recall no such promise, and I've been playing since 2012. Link? 

If you have been around this long, then you should know that it was a commonly asked question here on this very forum that they had to answer often, especially around the time when they messed up by mentioning a possible future DLC. It was also answered on their official dev streams as well at least once.

Edited by boxman

18 minutes ago, boxman said:

Why exactly should I trust anything they say anymore, when their biggest promises was broken in the past, like this very announcement?

Wait, what?

If this is a good thing?

I can say only so much: Time will tell, time will tell....

And one thing for shure, no one will stop the train that left the station.

And this one has already!

Why i am sceptical?

I have seen many things in the game industry, but one can be always  proven wrong.

Edited by Nightmare

On 2017-5-31 at 5:18 PM, Kerbart said:

Will GTA content suddenly show up on Duna?

Eyy, Jeb. It's me! Your cousin Kirrim! Want to go bowling on Eve?

Edit: I've been away for two weeks and come back to this? I missed all the fun... :(

Edit 2: 'gratz to Squad. Don't know how I personally feel about this, but it seems like a business-savvy move to me.

Edited by kreutzkevic

12 hours ago, boxman said:

Edit: Also this kind of response is completely standard whenever a franchise or studio is bought up. They always say that little to nothing will change, but yet in nearly all cases that turns out to be far from the truth.

Looking foward to examples of "nearly all cases."

Alright, how the he'll did I not see this!!??

I saw some mixed reactions, but based of of the Squad staff comments, it seems to be good.

Excited for the future of KSP, now let's see it become the greatest game ever :D

I expect this to go as well as a KSP newbie launching his first rocket.

I guess some people are happy with a check and empty reassurances that KSP will remain mod-friendly and that Squad will retain control over an IP they no longer own...

Just a week ago Squad were telling us that they were still proudly independent and hard at work, with a hint of disgust at the notion that they might have sold out to Valve, but they were in the process of finalizing the deal with... Take Two ?

Well, it's the same people who thought that a game console port would be a good idea after all...

I really hope the check had a lot of numbers on it, it's deserved and it will make the inevitable backstab more bearable...

Oh well, at least it's not EA...

Edited by EthanKerbman

17 hours ago, boxman said:

If you have been around this long, then you should know that it was a commonly asked question here on this very forum that they had to answer often, especially around the time when they messed up by mentioning a possible future DLC. It was also answered on their official dev streams as well at least once.

Yeah, I remember them saying something about not selling out. Not sure if that included just EA/those kinds of questions or a blanket term, though. I mean, all the dev team basically left so there's no-one to keep the promise I guess. 

Hopefully someone can find a source...

9 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

I think the "no selling out" thing may have been in reference to SQUAD, not KSP. That is, the company will not be bought, but the IP is entirely different.

You clearly have a master in semantics

Sigh....I'm thinking within 1 year of the takeover it will be "KSP Jeb, but not as we remember it"

I have no proof of this, only a gut feeling. Please don't slate me for my now-decided comment....

...it's just how I feel it's gunna go :(

seeing what take two owns i think kerbal space prgram will be incredible and the expansions will be worth buying for sure

cmon guys, they own fricking Dora the explorer! what could go wrong? freaking Dora!

can't wait for the Dora space rocket expansion

@SQUAD You've officially put a thorn back in my paw. I purchased KSP for PC after April 2013 like everyone else who bought it to play on their console system, yet console players don't have to pay for the expansion?!?! WHY?! I love this game, don't get me twisted. All I'm asking for is a bit of fairness here. Why don't console players have to pay and why must I?! Have fun to everyone else who gets it for free... 

17 minutes ago, TheLionsBite said:

@SQUAD You've officially put a thorn back in my paw. I purchased KSP for PC after April 2013 like everyone else who bought it to play on their console system, yet console players don't have to pay for the expansion?!?! WHY?! I love this game, don't get me twisted. All I'm asking for is a bit of fairness here. Why don't console players have to pay and why must I?! Have fun to everyone else who gets it for free... 

Where are you getting this from? The only news I've been seeing about free stuff and console is that the update from Blitworks to KSP 1.3 will be free (to quell people's fears that a new port would require a new purchase). I haven't seen anything about free DLC (and trust me when I say that I would know).

Edited by TheRagingIrishman

18 minutes ago, TheLionsBite said:

Well, to be fair, they have waited a very long time for a playable game... sooo, I have no qualms with that, but I also haven't read that anywhere either. Sources? If they get it for free, I'd say that's pretty fair. While we have enjoyed and loved every minute of this game, they have been stuck with a broken bit of software for the better part of a year.

Edited by Galileo

On 6/6/2017 at 4:19 PM, MaxPeck said:

It seems to me that the Kerbals themselves are the real moneymaker here.  You've got an established, kid-friendly semi-goofy character that you can now market the hell out of.  Sure, Squad, you go ahead and tinker with KSP, make it work.  Meanwhile, just in time for Christmas, we have a parade of Kerbal-themed games, everything from a clone of the Sims (with Kerbals!) to a clone of Lemmings (Kerbals would be PERFECT for a Lemmings remake)... you could even do a MMO for kids a-la Club Penguin/WebKinz/Animal Jam, but with KERBALS!  Monetizing the Kerbals into a product line makes sense, and you wouldn't have to fool with KSP at all.  KSP introduced and established the brand, but now, let's make it so you don't have to be a junior rocket scientist to play with the Kerbals.  Down the road, once Kerbals are a thing, we roll out KSP2, which is much more user-friendly and a lot less reliant on the user having an IQ over 110.

At least, if I'm T2, that's what I would do.  YMMV.

I would buy Kerbol Skyline though, develope Kerbin and colonize the Kerbol system :sticktongue:

@TheRagingIrishman, @Galileo I misread this part of the statement. 

And yes, we’re keeping our promise of free DLC for everyone who purchased KSP through April 2013! We’re continuing to work closely with Blitworks on the updated version of KSP for consoles, which will be available on the Xbox and PSN digital stores when it is complete. This will be a free update for anyone who already owns KSP on Xbox or PS4.

The wording is a bit misleading to me, as I'm currently flat broke and have no real hope of having the extra coin to purchase the expansion pack for quite a long time. Such a focus made me skip right over whatever "Blitworks" is (I don't own any console version, therefore don't really care) and focus on the last sentence I've quoted the OP here. Thanks for catching me up. It sucks how much catching up I'll have to do, but just "oh well," I guess.

:/:funds:;.;

In possibly related news (and late news, due to Squad's apparently contractually obligated lack of communication skills :wink:), KSP doesn't seem to be available from the Squad store anymore.

https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/kspstore/index.php?p=22

https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/6gmwfa/ksp_no_longer_available_for_purchase_in_squad/