KSP Acquired by Take-Two Interactive

UomoCapra

7 hours ago, Moach said:

I believe I speak with the voice of nearly every player on every platform when I say:  We do NOT like Freemium games, we never did. We would much rather buy our games normally like we did back in the days when they were good

And the church said, AMEN

7 hours ago, Moach said:

I believe I speak with the voice of nearly every player on every platform when I say:  We do NOT like Freemium games, we never did. We would much rather buy our games normally like we did back in the days when they were good

We also do not like cold fries, wet clothes, flat tires and unpaid overtime work, to name but a few things that also have nothing to do with KSP.

As for "buy our games normally (...) when they were good" I'm forced to assume (as you're rather vague) that you refer to the good ole' times of the mid nineties, when you had to fork over precious money for a pretty picture on a box, and the only way to determine if a game was half decent were ad-sponsored magazines that gave every. single. game. a rating of 90% or more (the adjustment was simple: subtract 90, multiply by 10).

And if those games had bugs? Well, too bad, no updates for you, we have your money already! Remember Outpost? I have a whole bunch of games from those days. Not all of them were good. Most of them were not, to be honest. And bugs weren't fixed, younjust had to deal with them.

I prefer the modern day, where publishers make money after a release with DLC, because it keeps them accountable for delivering good work. Bad games die, good games live a whole lot longer.

we remember the good games from back then because they stood the test of time, and we forgot about the mountain of atrociousness they stood on. I'd rather not go back to that failed distribution model. It's gone for a reason.

Edited by Kerbart
Editor missing features.

1 hour ago, Kerbart said:

We also do not like cold fries, wet clothes, flat tires and unpaid overtime work, to name but a few things that also have nothing to do with KSP.

As for "buy our games normally (...) when they were good" I'm forced to assume (as you're rather vague) that you refer to the good ole' times of the mid nineties, when you had to fork over precious money for a pretty picture on a box, and the only way to determine if a game was half decent were ad-sponsored magazines that gave every. single. game. a rating of 90% or more (the adjustment was simple: subtract 90, multiply by 10).

And if those games had bugs? Well, too bad, no updates for you, we have your money already! Remember Outpost? I have a whole bunch of games from those days. Not all of them were good. Most of them were not, to be honest. And bugs weren't fixed, younjust had to deal with them.

I prefer the modern day, where publishers make money after a release with DLC, because it keeps them accountable for delivering good work. Bad games die, good games live a whole lot longer.

we remember the good games from back then because they stood the test of time, and we forgot about the mountain of atrociousness they stood on. I'd rather not go back to that failed distribution model. It's gone for a reason.

well, don't take my phrasing down too literally there - I meant "back when they were good" more or less thinking of the way some known companies had at a certain point in their history, switched their line of thinking from "make things people wanna buy and sell it to them"  to "make things and tell people they are free, then sneak in methods to get them to pay without noticing" -- this of course, does not apply to the many noble companies who never did make such an unwelcome transition (and to whom the criticism is also not relevant)

also, I consider DLCs* in the form of finite-purchase items with immediate value (aka: expansion packs) as individual releases, and should be understood under the definition of "games" in my statement

*this is to exclude the alternative use of the term DLC as meaning "items that can be purchased with ingame currency which is acquired with real money", a practice which I believe should be immediately outlawed by governments, ideally with companies who engage on it made to pay reparations to the many they knowingly abuse - this practice is the cornerstone of all that is rotten in the industry today, for it deliberately exploits users within a local monopoly where the profiteer controls both supply AND demand - fundamentally betraying capitalism at it's core. often this is done by intentionally harmful methods which exploit known gambling addiction behavioral patterns, even subverting the same studies meant to help those afflicted with it to hone their tactics and inflicting such malady onto children (often at the expense of unsuspecting parents)  -- and worse of all... unlike the gambling addict, there is zero chance of ever hitting a jackpot here

and remember, the manner in which games were sold "back when they were good" has nothing to do with how they are distributed - I'm VERY glad the days of the boxed CDs are gone the same way as VCR movie rentals which had to be rewinded before return

but I would very much rather the tried-and-true ways of putting out a small demo and selling the full game outright would return

I'm still trying to work out a perfect way of phrasing my rant - it may need a few more tries to get it just right

but surely you get the gist of it by now

Edited by Moach

On May 31, 2017 at 10:38 AM, Sirad said:

Ooooooooooooooooooooohhh come on, what should anyone expect ?

They would even say 'we are all happy about it' if everyone gets sacked, because they signed a paper on that :-)

Ever heard someone officially saying 'we are all unhappy about it' in the recent 10 Years, Worldwide, any Developing Company?

yup , i m the kind of being who may eventually say that kind of thing, because well everithing can happen after all, but non gonna complain as you said ^^

(na ps else: @Azimech well , how to say or not to say ... no idea)

& all the best and grats ^^ (just some old habits that tend to stick xDr)

On June 18, 2017 at 4:53 AM, Vanamonde said:

The last time we had this much outrage on the forum was when Squad named Curse as the official mod partner. Needless to say, the game survived that. :D

never heard ...

Edited by WinkAllKerb''
deci wut ... well ... obvious (btw this is a private cursed joke) don't bother

Why if you don't agree with Squads decision to sell out to Take2 moderators delete your posting? Even when you give arguments in why you think so?

The Kerbal community is aware of the problems that Squad has, Squad can deal with it in 2 main ways. We solve our problems by selling Kerbal and create even more problems. Or you you think it over and make decisions wich not only is good for Squad but the game and the community as well. Yes everyone is a critic we know that, we watch Sherlock. But The kerbal space program is a very unique game heck even NASA plays it. The game Squad has in its hands is a true goldmine wich is getting destroyed by bad management. Remember Commodore, they had the most innovative and exciting technology yet by missmanagement they went bankrupt and Apple took there place. I really dislike the dejavu experience i have.

On 7/4/2017 at 1:42 PM, Moach said:

well, don't take my phrasing down too literally there - I meant "back when they were good" more or less thinking of the way some known companies had at a certain point in their history, switched their line of thinking from "make things people wanna buy and sell it to them"  to "make things and tell people they are free, then sneak in methods to get them to pay without noticing" -- this of course, does not apply to the many noble companies who never did make such an unwelcome transition (and to whom the criticism is also not relevant)

also, I consider DLCs* in the form of finite-purchase items with immediate value (aka: expansion packs) as individual releases, and should be understood under the definition of "games" in my statement

(...)

but I would very much rather the tried-and-true ways of putting out a small demo and selling the full game outright would return

I don't think anyone likes the idea of micropayments inside KSP, at the same time there shouldn't be a knee-jerk assumption that the game will go down that route.

40 minutes ago, xxXHonestJohnXxx said:

The kerbal space program is a very unique game heck even NASA plays it. The game Squad has in its hands is a true goldmine wich is getting destroyed by bad management. Remember Commodore, they had the most innovative and exciting technology yet by missmanagement they went bankrupt and Apple took there place. I really dislike the dejavu experience i have.

• People at NASA play KSP, not NASA itself. People at NASA probably also play Elite, but that doesn't mean NASA is preparing for interplanetary warfare. Whatever games NASA staff plays (and hopefully in their own time) does not necessitate NASA policy or endorsement.
  • The game is not a "true goldmine," it's a niche game. A very succesful one, but it will never get blockbuster popularity like GTA or Medal of Honor or whatever it's called.
  • While Squad has made some questionable decisions (FTE comes to mind) we are getting updates and new content. That's far from "destroyed." Heck, instead of being published by a marketing company whose owners dream of producing a movie, we now have a game publishing company, whose interest is publishing games, publishing the game. Imagine that!
  • Commodore went out of business because it was led by an accountant who aimed for short term profit. I very much doubt T2 will use that approach; history has taught them that there's much more money to be made with a long running franchise that with short term selling out. 
  • Apple was very much going the direction of Commodore under Sculley, until Jobs came back. Which shows that you're much better off with management that is passionate about games (T2) than with a marketing company (Sculley's background was marketing too) who never intended to pursue this product for starters. Not sure were the déja vu would apply.

2 hours ago, Kerbart said:
  • People at NASA play KSP, not NASA itself. People at NASA probably also play Elite, but that doesn't mean NASA is preparing for interplanetary warfare. Whatever games NASA staff plays (and hopefully in their own time) does not necessitate NASA policy or endorsement.
  • The game is not a "true goldmine," it's a niche game. A very succesful one, but it will never get blockbuster popularity like GTA or Medal of Honor or whatever it's called.
  • While Squad has made some questionable decisions (FTE comes to mind) we are getting updates and new content. That's far from "destroyed." Heck, instead of being published by a marketing company whose owners dream of producing a movie, we now have a game publishing company, whose interest is publishing games, publishing the game. Imagine that!
  • Commodore went out of business because it was led by an accountant who aimed for short term profit. I very much doubt T2 will use that approach; history has taught them that there's much more money to be made with a long running franchise that with short term selling out. 
  • Apple was very much going the direction of Commodore under Sculley, until Jobs came back. Which shows that you're much better off with management that is passionate about games (T2) than with a marketing company (Sculley's background was marketing too) who never intended to pursue this product for starters. Not sure were the déja vu would apply.

Interesting reply, you really like to hear yourself talking. Furthermore it is obviousyou  are missing the point here wich i am trying to make. You could have saved yourself some time.

Edited by xxXHonestJohnXxx
Spelling

5 hours ago, xxXHonestJohnXxx said:

Why if you don't agree with Squads decision to sell out to Take2 moderators delete your posting? Even when you give arguments in why you think so?

This thread is literally full of people disagreeing with that decision. If a post was removed it's likely because it didn't follow the community guidelines in some way, none of which require Squad support in the post. 

If you wish to discuss a specific post with a moderator, send a PM to one of your choosing and we can talk about it. In public is not the place for that. 

On 6/1/2017 at 3:45 PM, THX-1138 said:

Concern 2 - Mods and Modders.  I enjoy Vanilla KSP but KSP+MODS takes the game to a different level that only modders can provide.  Take Two should embrace mods and modders as KSP team has done.  No exceptions.  Instead TakeTwo should provide tools and guidelines to modders to take the game to a different level.  DLC and mods can co-exist, it has been seen with KSP and many other game (i.e. ARMA, IL2, etc.)

Yeah, I'm a little worried about this too. Ever heard the phrase, "America Runs on dunkin?" Well, KSP runs on mods.

Edited by Lo Var Lachland

On 7/14/2017 at 4:00 PM, xxXHonestJohnXxx said:

Interesting reply, you really like to hear yourself talking. Furthermore it is obviousyou  are missing the point here wich i am trying to make. You could have saved yourself some time.

Apparently I do. Pray tell me, what's the point? perhaps some arguments would help to make your case. Brevity is only beneficial when your underlying message is clear, and obviously It wasn't, or I wouldn't have missed it.

On 7/19/2017 at 8:55 AM, monstah said:

Some off-topic content has been removed from the thread. Remember, we're talking about Take-Two and KSP, here!

Also, keep in mind: no politics posts, no religion posts. Thank you :) 

But...but...but... KSP is my religion!

4 hours ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

Thats weird...

Looks like its not a well-maintained list.  It shows Civ VI as "coming soon for PC" but that game was released in October of 2016, some 9 months ago.  :/

Edit:  It also shows XCOM: Enemy Within as "coming soon" but that game was released in 2013, some 44 months ago.  Yikes. :rolleyes:

Edited by klesh

19 hours ago, klesh said:

Looks like its not a well-maintained list.  It shows Civ VI as "coming soon for PC" but that game was released in October of 2016, some 9 months ago.  :/

Edit:  It also shows XCOM: Enemy Within as "coming soon" but that game was released in 2013, some 44 months ago.  Yikes. :rolleyes:

Hmm. That makes me kinda hopeful. The Making History expansion is supposedly "coming soon". Maybe it was already released? :wink:

On 07/06/2017 at 7:24 PM, sarbian said:

You clearly have a master in semantics

sorry, but well i just couldn't resist Sarb with that one ... https://xkcd.com/1052/ ... "recognized by one peer's" this one always make me laugh for some "weird" reasons in/out

ps: i wanted to multiquote a few others things amongst the thread especially between p 13 & 26, but this one is a good sum up ^^

Edited by WinkAllKerb''
oops 1/4 btw, but well ...

On 22.7.2017 at 6:43 PM, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

Hmm. That makes me kinda hopeful. The Making History expansion is supposedly "coming soon". Maybe it was already released? :wink:

You silly pirate. :wink:

My feelings are mostly positive. Take-Two own some brilliant games. Like Bioshock. They even Civ, my favorite game series ever. (Besides Beyond Earth...). However they're rumors spreading around. Some of them make sense. Some are outright ridiculous. But hopefully everything goes right and we get more awesome updates from you guys in the future.

Mainly I hope this works out well for the Devs. They've produced a game that has probably given me more enjoyment than any other, a game I have dreamed about since I was a small child. They deserve job security, nice bosses, and a free coffee machine in the office!

19 minutes ago, peadar1987 said:

Mainly I hope this works out well for the Devs. They've produced a game that has probably given me more enjoyment than any other, a game I have dreamed about since I was a small child. They deserve job security, nice bosses, and a free coffee machine in the office!

As someone who has a free coffee machine in the office, I won't drink the stuff. One time there were ants in the machine. Also the coffee is awful.