Ligo detected more gravity waves

Ligo has detected a rather unusual black hole merger, where one was 20 solar masses, the other was thirty, also their axis were not aligned, meaning these could have been primordial black holes

https://www.ligo.caltech.edu/news/ligo20170601

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/ligos-latest-black-hole-merger-confirms-einstein-challenges-astrophysics1/

10 hours ago, insert_name said:

Ligo has detected a rather unusual black hole merger, where one was 20 solar masses, the other was thirty, also their axis were not aligned, meaning these could have been primordial black holes

More likely that they were captures than primordial.

Straight interview with one of the... investigators I presume ?

Although, it's interesting in that this other interview was made just a day after this detection, and he hinted at it without any excitement whatsoever !

Wonder :

- So gravitational waves are harder to tell ? I mean, could there be some mechanism that immediately visualizes where the thing came from etc. ?

- Are data newly gathered often not free to the public ? (it's most likely a yes but interesting to see how secretive they are about that !)

* ps : okay it's impossible for such well-trimmed video to be posted straight after the whole thing, but there's no other january to be found I think !

Edited by YNM

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.