ISRO Discussion Thread

19 minutes ago, Codraroll said:

I'm not sure if the grainy cameras are silly and outdated, or a testament to an impressive policy of making do with what you've got and not squander money upgrading things that still work perfectly. That footage from the control room looks like it was shot by cameras produced in the seventies, and they may very well roll for several more years because they still do the job they were designed to do.

Also absolutely fitting for KSP.

Found by the side of the road and launched in space again.

I personaly feel it like a statement. We do not need something fancy. We use all things we have add best human capabilities and shoot this chunk into the space to do some work and not to please medias with some "shiny poo".

Go for it India. You are one of the best in computers, now you have opened a new workfield.

Funny Kabooms 

Urses 

Edited by Urses

i just gonna that say: socio story telling psycho linguistic belief sparse context is complicated <= blablabla ruleZZzzzz well well rulesZZzzzz and me ...

and HYPE  ISRO ^^ 101% happy their share more & more content

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

17 hours ago, WinkAllKerb'' said:

i just gonna that say: socio story telling psycho linguistic belief sparse context is complicated <= blablabla ruleZZzzzz well well rulesZZzzzz and me ...

and HYPE  ISRO ^^ 101% happy their share more & more content

I am confused.

On 16/06/2017 at 3:43 AM, WinkAllKerb'' said:

i just gonna that say: "local time stamp evolve www.weather.com" context is complicated

but hype hype hype and 101.314% %% supporter of ISRO here

Edited by WinkAllKerb''
notice that for now i'm a bit busy with bandaïnamco so i keep it short here

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Nibb31 said:

It was quite common in the early days of spaceflight, but you're right that it's a rare occurrence nowadays.

Hmm. Is there any list online ? Might be hilarious to read !

22 minutes ago, tater said:
Given that the fairing is there, this thing could possibly survive reentry quite intact.

No. A fairing is a fancy piece of plastic, it vaporises like everything else when reentring.

Edited by Gaarst

22 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

No. A fairing is a fancy piece of plastic, it vaporises like everything else when reentring.

This is not correct on multiple levels. Aside from the fact that the fairing is made of Al, all fairings are also heat shields of a kind. In addition, many spacecraft have survived reentry without vaporizing.

Fancier plastic (likely a plastic/carbon fiber composite these days) would actually make reentry survival more, not less likely.

The upper stage includes the 4th stage rocket within the fairing. If the payload shifts forward (it's loose), then the US could well orient in a stable, nose-forward position. The longer the 1425kg  IRNSS-1H spacecraft remains intact, the higher the chances of it surviving to the surface.  

Edited by tater

7 hours ago, YNM said:

Hmm. Is there any list online ? Might be hilarious to read !

I can think of one off the top of my head. . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbiting_Carbon_Observatory#Original_launch

There were a lot of people on the ground that morning who didn't think that was hilarious. Not even a little bit. :(

I don't really get what's hilarious about it, but well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payload_fairing#Mission_failures_caused_by_payload_fairings

Turns out I was wrong. Most fairing failures have occured after 1999. I was mostly thinking of the "Angry Alligator" incident on Gemini 9.

Edited by Nibb31

19 hours ago, Ten Key said:

I can think of one off the top of my head. . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbiting_Carbon_Observatory#Original_launch

There were a lot of people on the ground that morning who didn't think that was hilarious. Not even a little bit. :(

6 hours ago, Nibb31 said:

I don't really get what's hilarious about it, but well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payload_fairing#Mission_failures_caused_by_payload_fairings

Turns out I was wrong. Most fairing failures have occured after 1999. I was mostly thinking of the "Angry Alligator" incident on Gemini 9.

Yeah, I know failures are never fun .-.

Also surprised there are less occurence earlier on ! Does it have something to do with launch rate ?