Problems with boarding

Hello All,

I seem to keep having real problems with getting my Kerbals back into the ships. The problem is where they have to 'grab' or 'climb' back. I just can't seem to manage it. I get them to the bottom of the ladder, click F for grab or climb, they move onto the ladder and slip back down. I have tried adding several ladders to see if that helps, but no, the same thing happens.

How do you all get them back in?

Keith

Which version are you running? Is it modded? That problem should have been mostly fixed around version 1.2.1 or something. If you are sliding down and off ladders once you have grabbed them, then tap W to climb a bit to counteract the sliding problem.

It sounds like maybe you are going past the top of your ladder? Boarding can be tricky, close enough is not close enough with a ladder I had just off to the side of the port. Grab the ladder, tap the 'W' key to climb and look for the 'B' board. Maybe if you posted a screen shot we could see where the problem is.

Ok thanks.

No mods, and it is the new beta version. I am not going past the ladder, it is trying to actually get on and stay on. However, by adding lots of ladders it can be done, but it is not that easy. Tapping the w does help though, once I ma on the ladder. Not sure if a screenshot would help, but I can certainly add one.

The lander I created had four rockets on the sides of the fuel tank, the ladder to the capsule in the middle. I think there was not enough space for the ladder - but I will try to post the pciture and see what you think.

So the fuel tanks are knocking you off the ladder? I have had some luck with the space bar for a jump, but you have to be ready to grab the ladder on either your way up or back down. Sometimes I will even get the 'B' board during my jump.

Ok - the issue seemed to be getting on the ladder. The new lander has the side rockets higher, so the ladder reaches the ground - almost. By using the F key and then the W key it seems to work.

The morale of this story is to ensure your ladders get close enough to the ground! I have little luck with the rocket pack - not very good at using that. This is only my 3rd week with the game!

Thank you all for your help.

Keith

A little oops now and the does everybody good. Something I always do is try out landers on the Launchpad first to eliminate teething problems. Rovers get a full field test around KSC to check not just drivability but also entry/exit, resetting experiments etc.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.