Funds to limit construction time (now with a poll)

theJesuit

Do you think limiting and drip feeding funds would be worthwhile to limit build 'times' at KSC?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think limiting and drip feeding funds would be worthwhile to limit build 'times' at KSC?

• Yes, nerfing funds and drip feeding them in would work well!
    • No, why would you do this?
    • Possibly, but with some suggestions...

Hi all,

Just wondering (again) about the way career, funds and EPL/GC play nicely together or don't and a simpler alternative to KCT.

Pinging @linuxgurugamer and @nathan1 to see what they think and whether this would be possible with their current mods StateFunding and AltFunding.

So the first question is this: Is it possible to mod in a two tier Funds system?

The second question is this: Is it possible to mod the in game name of Funds

The third is a question on feedback for this idea:

• The Funds are dripped into your save based similar to State Funding (rate changeable according to Career rep, KSC building tiers etc)
  • ALL parts are modded to have a cost directly associated with their mass, which is what EPL and GC calculate build times on.
  • Funds would effectively equate to RocketParts or whatever.  This retains an 'insta' build option, but Funds have been significantly nerfed so that you need to wait.
  • Contracts may just give enhanced rep, which increases funds.  Recovered rockets and stages are 'recycled' rocketparts anyway and come back as Funds, giving a boost before launching your next rocket.

It does mean that 'money' is out of the equation, but my own head canon suggests that money isn't a motivating factor for kerbals working, mainly as costs to upgrade facilities and hire kerbals are one offs - we don't actually pay anyone!  It is simply a cost of building or generating them.

It also means that setting up EPL bases on the Mün becomes much more important!  As off world resource mining is free.

What do you all think? Please offer feedback.

Disclaimer - I may do something like this as part of the AngleCan Simplex mod.

Peace.

Edited by theJesuit
Added poll (after an hour)

16 hours ago, theJesuit said:

I can answer this one at least - certainly. If no other way then create your own "translation" that's just English - or whatever language you choose - but the word for "Funds" replaced with whatever you want. I don't think you need to do anything that drastic though - the text is probably easily modded just for that one word. Perhaps with MM even.

On 6/4/2017 at 5:29 PM, theJesuit said:

So the first question is this: Is it possible to mod in a two tier Funds system?

Yes.

Probably, but I've never tried. Monophonic's idea of creating a translation would work, at least.

Just wondering (again) about the way career, funds and EPL/GC play nicely together or don't and a simpler alternative to KCT.

Pinging @linuxgurugamer and @nathan1 to see what they think and whether this would be possible with their current mods StateFunding and AltFunding.

[...]

The third is a question on feedback for this idea:

• The Funds are dripped into your save based similar to State Funding (rate changeable according to Career rep, KSC building tiers etc)
  • ALL parts are modded to have a cost directly associated with their mass, which is what EPL and GC calculate build times on.
  • Funds would effectively equate to RocketParts or whatever.  This retains an 'insta' build option, but Funds have been significantly nerfed so that you need to wait.
  • Contracts may just give enhanced rep, which increases funds.  Recovered rockets and stages are 'recycled' rocketparts anyway and come back as Funds, giving a boost before launching your next rocket.

I'm trying to understand what you're getting at... are you asking to unify construction through VAB/SPH and construction through EPL/GC? If that's the case I would think altering EPL/GC so construction time/resource costs are tied directly to the funds cost of parts (and then possibly adjusting the funds costs of parts) would accomplish that.

Do you think limiting and drip feeding funds would be worthwhile to limit build 'times' at KSC?

Assuming you are talking about a replacement for KCT (relating to your "simpler alternative to KCT" comment), if you don't require construction to actually take time then I think an important point of KCT is missing. For example, if you have KCT and a life support mod installed then you have to consider what your options for rescue missions are before you launch, but if construction is instant then you don't.

I think severely limiting funds from contracts combined with a "drip funds" mod to force you to not just launch all your missions within the first month of your career is a good way to play, but I don't think it really replaces what KCT does.

Regarding AltFunding, it currently allows scaling of funds received by time or by reputation. Scaling by building upgrade progress seems like an interesting idea. I still need to check whether AltFunding is working or has any bugs in 1.3 anyway...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.