Rover not rovering

I'm going to assume that the MK3 cockpit is your control point, so that looks good. I don't see nearly enough EC storage, but let that pass for now.

Usually this problem is caused by an incorrectly positioned control point, but that doesn't look like the right answer with your rover.

So the next possibility is that you've done a lot of manipulation of the wheels with the rotation gizmo. Doing that can confuse the game about which direction is "forward" for a particular wheel. And this seems pretty likely to me, because I don't even understand how you have those front wheels attached.

I'm not sure why it isn't moving normally (too much weight, maybe?), but I can explain why it moves why you use A and D. Those particular wheels use 'tank' steering - rather than turning physically, they increase the throttle on one side of the vehichle to create a turning motion. This throttle increase doesn't seem to obey the usual rules - throttle usually tapers off as speed increases, but this is not the case when steering, allowing you to run your wheels constantly at full speed. Hence, if you just tap A and D repeatedly, you'll actually accelate forwards, much faster than you could normally.

Not a solution, just an observation. :)

Edited by GluttonyReaper

6 hours ago, GluttonyReaper said:

I'm not sure why it isn't moving normally (too much weight, maybe?), but I can explain why it moves why you use A and D. Those particular wheels use 'tank' steering - rather than turning physically, they increase the throttle on one side of the vehichle to create a turning motion. This throttle increase doesn't seem to obey the usual rules - throttle usually tapers off as speed increases, but this is not the case when steering, allowing you to run your wheels constantly at full speed. Hence, if you just tap A and D repeatedly, you'll actually accelate forwards, much faster than you could normally.

Not a solution, just an observation. :)

this is what i have observed

11 hours ago, bewing said:

I'm going to assume that the MK3 cockpit is your control point, so that looks good. I don't see nearly enough EC storage, but let that pass for now.

Usually this problem is caused by an incorrectly positioned control point, but that doesn't look like the right answer with your rover.

So the next possibility is that you've done a lot of manipulation of the wheels with the rotation gizmo. Doing that can confuse the game about which direction is "forward" for a particular wheel. And this seems pretty likely to me, because I don't even understand how you have those front wheels attached.

First off, i appreciate a member of squad responding, thanks for making this game! Second, i did have to use a lot of manipulation to get the wheels on a structural sheet. Is there a way to fix this, or should I just make a new design?

P.S.: why does the wheel power degrade when i go forward. It works fine for a few seconds after i launch it, but then i can see the motor power randomly drop.

8 minutes ago, AHeroReborn said:

i did have to use a lot of manipulation to get the wheels on a structural sheet. Is there a way to fix this, or should I just make a new design?

Is there some reason why you didn't want to use a girder or two for the central section? Since girders have sides, you wouldn't have to do anything wacky to attach the wheels.

8 minutes ago, AHeroReborn said:

P.S.: why does the wheel power degrade when i go forward. It works fine for a few seconds after i launch it, but then i can see the motor power randomly drop.

Those mondo wheels use a tremendous amount of EC, and you have no batteries. So the wheels quickly use up all the stored charge in the MK3 cockpit's battery, and once that is gone they are limited to what the solar panels can provide.

Just now, bewing said:

Is there some reason why you didn't want to use a girder or two for the central section? Since girders have sides, you wouldn't have to do anything wacky to attach the wheels.

Those mondo wheels use a tremendous amount of EC, and you have no batteries. So the wheels quickly use up all the stored charge in the MK3 cockpit's battery, and once that is gone they are limited to what the solar panels can provide.

oh, i guess my picture didn't show the batteries on there..:D

i have over 1000 EC

Well, probably best to fix one problem at a time anyway. The "loss of power" issue may disappear with a small redesign to make the wheels work properly.

-- And actually, structural panels do not crossfeed. So depending on where your batteries are attached, one set of wheels or the other set should probably run out of power very quickly.

Edited by bewing

Are you testing this rover on Kerbin or another planet or moon?

The Mun and Minmus have such low gravity that it can be difficult to get wheeled rovers moving. There may not be enough friction to overcome your resting inertia. Maybe turning up the friction control on the wheels could help. Also, tweaking the traction control could possibly help.

Edit to add: Double check your key assignments in the settings screen. For example, I have my rover controls remapped so that I can operate the drive wheels separately from the reaction wheels, sometimes I forget.

Edited by HvP

51 minutes ago, HvP said:

Edit to add: Double check your key assignments in the settings screen. For example, I have my rover controls remapped so that I can operate the drive wheels separately from the reaction wheels, sometimes I forget.

Reaction wheels can indeed result in weirdness when combined with rovers.

Another potential source of weirdness is how you placed the wheels. Did you place them using symmetry in the VAB or SPH? Did you place them manually? Did you rotate the wheels using the rotate tool?

On 6/5/2017 at 10:29 AM, bewing said:

Well, probably best to fix one problem at a time anyway. The "loss of power" issue may disappear with a small redesign to make the wheels work properly.

-- And actually, structural panels do not crossfeed. So depending on where your batteries are attached, one set of wheels or the other set should probably run out of power very quickly.

I wass actually thinking about this ind that s probably the problem

i think i got it friends, thanks for the help:rep:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.