Geostationary orbit of Duna interferes with Ike

As the title suggests, I've been assigned a mission to place a satellite in geostationary orbit above Duna at a target that is directly below Ike and at the exact orbit of Ike. I thought maybe the sneaky thing was to just land my probe on the surface of Ike facing Duna, but as soon as I enter Ike's SOI my mission notes say I'm no longer in the correct orbit. Is there something I'm missing here? For reference, the orbit specifics of the contract are: Apoapsis/Periapsis: 2,880,000 meters, Inclination 0 degrees, and I have to hold stationary orbit above Area J-G7J which is directly below Ike. Any help would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, ThermalVB said:

Is there something I'm missing here?

Nope, you've got it exactly right, it's a dumb contract.  :)

There are worse ones.  "Mine ore from Jool and take it to <anywhere>" is one of my favorites-- it's a priori impossible.  The contract system is notorious for occasionally spitting out "lemons" that are either flat-out impossible, or whose difficulty is way out of proportion to the reward.

Anyway, in your case:  all I could suggest would be, try getting into Duna-stationary orbit just barely east (or west) of the limit of Ike's SoI, and see if that's close enough for the contract to complete.

• If it does, great!
  • If it doesn't, it means it's the game's fault for giving you an impossible contract, and I'd say you're well within your rights to just force it complete using the Alt+F12 cheat menu.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.