Petition to include all 2013 purchases for free DLC

CjStaal

PETITION TO INCLUDE ALL OF 2013 FOR FREE DLC!  

276 members have voted

1. 1. Should all of 2013 be allowed the free DLC?

• YES
    • NO
    • Include to August 2013

1 hour ago, CjStaal said:

This is all false goodwill that's screwing the people who supported them when they needed it. Plus after people buy DLC then they'll push more and add microtransactions. "100 Maneuver nodes for just 39.99!"

How is it false goodwill? They updated their sales model (as many companies do) and grandfathered in those of us who'd got it before the change in terms. If anything that's goodwill. I use several services that over the years have changed their sales model and have just been like, well, you gotta pay more now, deal with it. 

And where do you get the idea that we'll get microtransactions? Has there been any hint or suggestion of that? And anyway, It's a game heavily designed to be modded which would make that pretty hard, as someone would just write a "free maneuver nodes" mod. 

I'm part of the old school group who got it way back, so I'd get the DLC for free. but I'm going to buy it anyway because I want to support this game (and I've got two licences for KSP, the old one on KSPstore and a more recent one on steam). 

Strange thing is... I bought it in 2013; but didn't play it until 2017. 

I kinda buy games on my Steam wishlist when they're cheap and then let em sit around until I'm bored with the other games I'm playing.  I think I was like a September purchase?  ...so yeah, a month or two late to get the freebie.  If it's a good game I don't mind giving them a few bucks for the next version.  S'pose I could always wait a few months til it goes on sale too... they always do.  Nearly 100 games still on the wishlist (probably 20-30 that are under $10) and I haven't really started playing the last one that I bought on a sale: Motorsports Manager

I may step out of character and buy this one right at release for full price.  Gonna wait til I read a review or demo of the Mission Editor though.  That's really the only thing of significance that I've seen so far that has me interested in the update.

Squad pretty narrowly avoided a Hello Games incident with that promise, from what I remember, even if the language was ambiguous. While I don't think they should have made that promise (even while receiving my free DLC which I'm not going to pay for on principle because "where's my public roadmap, Squad?") I can't fault them for doing it. If you didn't hit the deadline then too bad for you, life's full of stuff like that.

I bought the game in June of 2013, and I'm not complaining one bit. It's easily the best dollar-per-hour value in an entertainment purchase I've ever made. I've had over 2,000 hours of extremely entertaining play for the cost of a movie ticket and a medium popcorn. After all that, sitting here and demanding that they give me something more for free seems a bit childish.

Just now, Red Iron Crown said:

I bought KSP for $7, it was that price because of when I bought it. Should everyone who bought later than me at a higher price get a partial refund because I paid less? 

No but you should definitely feel ashamed and indebted for your low cost purchase, and the happy accident resulting in many hundreds, if not thousands of hours of gameplay you received for said purchase. /s

I bought the game in August 2013... And I paid less than 0.5$ per month gaming to it... Also I gift the game to another 3 persons. 

If the new DLC seems interesting I will buy it.

No, that is false. I will buy as nerd fan that I am to this game.   

42 minutes ago, JoeNapalm said:

I've run out of Likes, today, so allow me to bestow upon you this gift horse:

MontyPythonHolyGrail-TrojanRabbit1.jpg\

-Jn-

monty python and the holy grail... The trojan rabbit. 

This is the same thing as asking a brick and mortar store to give you a refund for an item you bought today, or last year, based on a sale they ran 5 years ago.

Some of us bought this game when it was no ore than watching a rocket you built go Up Up and Awa...Boom!..... sigh.....  and some of us bought it when it is the complex 'simulator' it is today (Boom! still included at random times).

Again, this just seems like more of the whiny entitlement quite a few players have expressed since the announcement.  The only ones that asked about the promise were asking to make sure Squad was going uphold their offer.   And because they are, it just increases brand loyalty.  And if you look at the timeline, those who are eligible for the offer easily have moved onto greater things in their lives and could most probably afford the DLC, so it is not about the money. 

I would like to see the license for KSP updated to disallow anyone that complains about the DLC deal from playing, unless they play using a specific set of mods chosen by rolling dice every time they start the game.

Edited by razark

Personally, I think the grace period should extend to...

<checks email>

August 3, 2014, 6:23:36 PM CST.

In terms of my actual opinion: I think what Squad is doing is quite reasonable, extending free DLCs to those who purchased under the understanding that they would get free DLC. It's a relatively small fraction of the userbase that purchased the game by that point, before it had really gotten hammered out into a truly enjoyable, full-fledged video game. I doubt Take Two would be stupid enough to renege on that promise; the PR disaster that would result would almost certainly cost them more than just giving out a few free DLC copies.

Granted, one should never bet too heavily against human stupidity and short-sighted corporate greed.

32 minutes ago, Starman4308 said:

I doubt Take Two would be stupid enough to renege on that promise; the PR disaster that would result would almost certainly cost them more than just giving out a few free DLC copies.

Granted, one should never bet too heavily against human stupidity and short-sighted corporate greed.

Yeah TT would be dumb to do it from a PR stand point, but in the off chance that they did, it may cause a portion of the community to be mad but people would still play the game, and people will still buy the DLCs. Eventually, even those who swear to never purchase anything from squad again, would eventually buy it, especially when there is a feature that turns out to be awesome. You will succumb to the pressure of "everyone else has it and it looks great". Eventually the angry mob would dissipate, and only every now and then a disgruntled player will start a thread about it. TT really doesn't have anything to lose, but respect,  and I don't know how much they care about that.

Many will be quick to quote me and say "No! I would never buy anything from Squad/TT again, and I mean it!", and that's fine, and it likely won't come to that anyway so it doesn't matter.

I'm just saying, if any of you are me, you know dang well you wouldn't stop playing KSP. It's too good of a game. You will be angry, sure, but you will make an angry purchase and play the heck out of that DLC. 

Edited by Galileo

2 hours ago, katateochi said:

And where do you get the idea that we'll get microtransactions? Has there been any hint or suggestion of that? And anyway, It's a game heavily designed to be modded which would make that pretty hard, as someone would just write a "free maneuver nodes" mod. 

Well, to be fair, if you look at the vast majority of PC games recently published by Take Two, then...

...dang. That argument doesn't work, either.

Squad has worked hard to bring us every update to date. This is their only video game, so they would never want it to lose it's reputation. They make good decisions about their marketing, development, and public announcements; not trolling people to give them their currency by making micro-transactions, or making it so most of the people don't get a free DLC. The devs what they do for a REASON! I know some of you hate that Take-Two Interactive bought KSP, but as the devs said if I remember: we will work with them, not for them. That means it probably won't be Take-Two saying "Make fuel a micro-transaction! Make maneuver nodes a micro-transaction! Get a 50% off deal for Making History!" to the devs.

NOTE: I think this thread was made thinking that the devs were being forced to do something for Take-Two for money.

Edited by Casualnaut

Honestly, despite being around since 0.15.2 (which doesn't even seem that long ago), I don't care about the free DLC. It is a nice gesture by Squad, but not one that anyone should expect or demand. The initial cost to me (which I don't even remember) has already been long since amortized away while KSP has turned into quite the excellent game.

Seriously, anyone in question here has been playing KSP for 3-4 years, and is active enough to post on the forums, and still thinks they somehow are owed, because they haven't received enough value for their money?

So let's hypothetically say that Squad agrees to extending it to all 2013 purchasers. Two minutes later: "Petition to extend this to all 2014 purchasers... " 

They had to draw the line somewhere, and somebody was inevitably going to be on the unfortunate side of it. 

You only paid for what the game was when you paid for it. Not for possible future DLC which you had no idea about.

You should have been aware that the project might be abandoned at any given time, as clearly stated by the devs.

I bought 0.21 (~20$) because i was content with it, and couldn't imagine how it can get better. As far as i was concerned, they could ditch the project and i would still be happy, but now i got even more value for my money.

14 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

I bought KSP for $7, it was that price because of when I bought it.

In all honesty, that's all it was worth back then. Only a silly joke about green aliens launching themselves on goofy firecracker rockets.

And again, the project could have ended at that! That's not a game i wanted, and i couldn't predict that it would grow into an absolutely beautiful space flight simulator, could i? which is why i didn't buy it! :P

Edited by Overfloater

8 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

So let's hypothetically say that Squad agrees to extending it to all 2013 purchasers. Two minutes later: "Petition to extend this to all 2014 purchasers... " 

They had to draw the line somewhere, and somebody was inevitably going to be on the unfortunate side of it. 

What @Vanamonde posted is exactly the issue.  I purchased my copy in May or June of 2013 so I'm on the outside looking in at the free DLC (by a Month or 2)  as well, but no hard feelings on my side.  I saw the option on STEAM in April but held off 2 months before my purchase.  My fault for not picking it up a few months earlier.

If SQUAD were to extend it to all purchasers in 2013, the people who purchased in 2014 would be upset:  "Well, SQUAD stretched out the free DLC to all of 2013, why not all of 2014; I bought my copy Jan 1, 2014...why don't I deserve free stuff!?!"  It's not worth it.

Besides, IIRC the whole "free DLC" stuff came out of an MIS-STATEMENT (or perhaps better defined as a very loosely worded statement) on the forums by a dev at the time in 2013 stating that all future content would be free.  At the time, I believe the dev was referring to version updates (this was back in the Wild West days of Early Access, where some people were worried about having to PURCHASE the product UPDATES) but his statement was misconstrued/mistaken to be referring to DLC.  Once that happened, the feces hit the fan so to speak and they (SQUAD) ended up offering DLC free as well to quell the forum uprising that was occurring.  (Please someone correct if I'm mis-remembering this whole thing, I never went back to re-read the thread).

TL;DR:  I bought in May or June 2013 and I don't agree that the free DLC should be expanded any further than April of 2013 like SQUAD had previously guaranteed.  IMO the "free DLC" debacle was a huge misunderstanding in which a bunch of people are already getting free stuff from which (IMO based on the situation at the time) isn't really even warranted based on an overreaction and misunderstanding.  Now that it has been guaranteed though, I do believe SQUAD should have to follow through on their promise.

14 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

Personally, I think anyone who posts in this thread should get free donuts.  

I should definitely get a donut, I've been following this game since 2011 but only got it last year.

Although Kerbal donuts I would happily not accept, as you never know what the green stuff on top is.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.