Every planet in KSP is very interesting and unique in it is own pattern.

Visiting Moho? Enjoy all sorts of landscapes!!!

Visiting Eve? Enjoy hundreds of different surface features, like lakes, big craters, big lakes in craters, big mountains, big mountains in lakes in craters on plain in an explodium sea and many more! 

Kerbin is awesome to drive around!

Mün is awesome with its procedulary generated craters!

Minmus? Awesome!

Ike? GODDAMN FREAKING MOUNTAINS JUST FREAKING EVERYWHERE, U WANT TO LAND HUH? HUH?!?!?! SCREW YOU AND YOUR LANDER THEN

But Duna... It is the same literally everywhere, it is just hills, that are scattered across different places, at different altitude...

The greatest equatorial valley is very boring, there is no sharp edges at its start, it doesn't make a challenge, and a loss of a challenge is a thing that destroys all the fun.

The highest peak on Duna is just a very tall hill with a very boring view from the top. It doesn't even makes it a challenge to climb up there!

The only great valleys are at the poles! It is so awesome! They are deep, sharp and interesting to drive and explore around! Much like Dres's awesome canyons!

My suggestions is to make Duna more interesting in its topography! Make the edges more sharp! Make it difficult to move through different terrain! Make it difficult to land on! 

Add a few more craters near the polar region! It would me more like Mars! Add some plains that would be the resort of calm and would attract people to be more precisive in their landing spot! Add lots of tiny craters all over the surface, but keep them really small! Like 10 to 5 meters in diameter and make them scattered really far away from each other!

I know it might corrupt saves, make stuff that were so familiar to the new players more different, hard.

But it just adds some hard fun to the game! Makes the trip rememberable and remarkable! People still play the game because they have something unexplored, that they want to explore!

I really want the game to change more! Add some planets! People are getting bored with visiting Laythe or Eeloo or any other planet  4994494949th time! 

Sorry if I am wrong. I am very dumb after all.

I'd like to have Olympus Mons on duna. A mountain so tall that it nearly (or literally) sticks out of the atmosphere. now you have to coincider Dunas topography when aerobreaking.

I'm not a fan of sharp edges or steep slopes on duna, as you pointed out yourself, we have plenty of that in the Kerbol system already.

Edited by Physics Student

29 minutes ago, Physics Student said:

I'd like to have Olympus Mons on duna. A mountain so tall that it nearly (or literally) sticks out of the atmosphere. now you have to coincided Dunas topography when aerobreaking.

I'm not a fan of sharp edges or steep slopes on duna, as you pointed out yourself, we have plenty of that in the Kerbol system already.

Maybe they can combine both sharp edges and smooth ones, so it will look more natural?

There is still the "old Duna"... they changed it in 0.21. Before that it was a bit more exciting to explore Duna, no idea why they changed it.

Anyway, there is a mod that restores it back to its old glory:

Maybe you like this old one a bit better?

2 hours ago, Dafni said:

There is still the "old Duna"... they changed it in 0.21. Before that it was a bit more exciting to explore Duna, no idea why they changed it.

Anyway, there is a mod that restores it back to its old glory:

Maybe you like this old one a bit better?

I know about this mod.

I am talking about making Duna good using the design of the past and possibilities of our days.

A more interesting Duna is a good idea, something like @Physics Student suggested. A big volcano, that sticks out if the Atmosphere is an awesome idea. Not only does it look and sound cool, it also makes geography a thing to note while in space. Aerobraking is boring, having a big thing in the way makes for an interesting challenge.

Honestly I think every celestial body needs an upgrade (except prehaps Kerbin and the Sun). The key is coming up with a unique feature for each celestial body which makes it interesting to explore.

Personally, I would like to see a large extinct volcano on Duna's surface, much like Olympus Mons. I would also love to see dust storms, which can be a planet-wide event on Mars IRL and could give Duna more character aswell, but that dives into the whole weather/clouds debate which isn't for this thread.

4 hours ago, RatchetinSpace said:

dust storms

I like the idea too, but then KSP would have to implement some sort of weather feature. Which could be impractical or require lots of coding to do.

Disclaimer - I am not steeped in game engineering or programming.

54 minutes ago, qzgy said:

I like the idea too, but then KSP would have to implement some sort of weather feature. Which could be impractical or require lots of coding to do.

Disclaimer - I am not steeped in game engineering or programming.

Weather is almost impossible to simulate if you are not playing on NASA supercomputer.

That's sad.

On 6/6/2017 at 5:33 AM, cratercracker said:

The greatest equatorial valley is very boring, there is no sharp edges at its start, it doesn't make a challenge, and a loss of a challenge is a thing that destroys all the fun.

Well, it's not always about that kind of challenge...flying through Bigger's Canyon (as I call it) from the equator to the pole was one of the parts I enjoyed most in Kerbfleet's Duna mission long, long ago. No, it wasn't difficult in the sense that a Tylo landing or an Eve ascent are, but there were definite challenges to it. And once I did figure out how to fly my Mk3 mining spaceplane in it, it made for some very enjoyable moments:

Spoiler

NNeRo7J.png

I think sometimes the game needs to be slow. It's not all about white-knuckle suicide burns. Sometimes it's just about immersing yourself in the quiet and enjoying the journey.

It was great when it had water kerbillions of years ago.

Make it great again:

Spoiler

8NeGgo9.jpg

y0yNitv.jpg

9IBHqe2.png

cVQ8ku2.png

9i9aMtc.png

2ISQFQz.png

RQZbGuM.png

zzyG2bJ.png

zELwtSR.png

YNcZHWa.png

Q2cWEOk.png

OSmpKHp.png

1QLzMY7.png

5wM44vP.png

Maybe I should try that again with scatterer and its much better looking water

On another note: you really think its more boring than Ike?

45 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

It was great when it had water kerbillions of years ago.

Make it great again:

Reveal hidden contents

8NeGgo9.jpg

y0yNitv.jpg

9IBHqe2.png

cVQ8ku2.png

9i9aMtc.png

2ISQFQz.png

RQZbGuM.png

zzyG2bJ.png

zELwtSR.png

YNcZHWa.png

Q2cWEOk.png

OSmpKHp.png

1QLzMY7.png

5wM44vP.png

Maybe I should try that again with scatterer and its much better looking water

On another note: you really think its more boring than Ike?

Hmm...

You gave and idea!

How about we will make a liquid with a texture of a normal ground.

And then call it quicksand.

Joking of course.

And no, Ike is not fun, IT IS IRRITATING 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.