Slip Sliding Away

Red Shirt

I'm playing in 1.2.2, waiting for a few more mods to update. My current game is heavily modded. My laptop would probably melt if not for the cooling fan unit beneath it. So, not sure if this is a game bug, mod bug, or some setting I fail to grasp - A while back I landed on a steep incline on Mun. EVA'd and could not get back to the ship because the little green guy kept sliding. IRL that would not happen but this is not RL. I accepted it. A few days ago I ditched a shuttle in the mountains just west of KSC. I was pretty pleased to land (on my own) intact on a gentle south facing slope. The shuttle would not stop sliding at 0.9 m/s. Exited to the tracking station where it allowed me to recover. Thought it odd but whatever. Now, I land the shuttle on the runway (like a pro - okay MJ spaceplane guidance), cut the engines, locked the brakes, and flaps down. Plane kept a rollin' (all night long). Why? I have no idea. Check the settings on brakes, they were at stock position. Set them all the way up and made no difference. Any clues? If game bug is it fixed in 1.3?

By the way, I am very impressed how few bug complaints there have been in 1.3. After all it was apparently a fairly major internal coding overhaul.

Heavily modded? Are you using Adjustable Landing Gear?

I tried to use that with 1.2.2 and it was like every ship was on roller skates -- except for when I was hitting takeoff speeds, then it was like they were wearing roller skates in molasses.

You may be able to adjust the sliders in ALG to fix it, but I couldn't get anything that felt right and went back to stock gear.

-Jn-

6 minutes ago, JoeNapalm said:

Are you using Adjustable Landing Gear?

Nothing but stock for landing gear. Tried adjusting the friction settings to both extremes. Didn't seem to help. I have not been able to decipher the purpose any of the landing settings. 

7 hours ago, Red Shirt said:

IA while back I landed on a steep incline on Mun. EVA'd and could not get back to the ship because the little green guy kept sliding. IRL that would not happen but this is not RL.

You refuse to accept that gravity works in real life?   I've slid down many mountains (some intentional, some not), I can assure you, this happens in real life. 

There may be a friction bug, but in this case I wold not call it that. 

Edited by Gargamel

40 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

You refuse to accept that gravity works in real life?   I've slid down many mountains (some intentional, some not), I can assure you, this happens in real life.

I have never slid down a slope I could not figure out a way to get back up. Note I did not say fell off a steep incline. The victim AKA Jeb walked a short distance from the ship. While trying to return the surface behaved as glass under the Jeb's feet, meanwhile the craft sat there perfectly still just a few meters away. Besides my grasp on real life, sliding would not explain the shuttle on the runway. But thanks for being helpful. Yes sarcasm implied.

48 minutes ago, SpacedCowboy said:

H,mmm, Sounds like a case of "Tyler syndrome"!

Old age and years of alcohol abuse will do that. Walk this way - uhmm, no. 

I know what you're talking about dw. I've had some really weird sliding glitches and related phenomena... It's highly annoying when a perfectly stable lander decides to fall over. On a flat. When I haven't touched it. At all.

I had a weird slide down a slope before too though. I could spin the kerbal round on his/her axis but could not walk in any direction and nor would it allow me to RCS off the surface... one time the issue seemed to happen on a proximity to the lander craft basis. I went to tracking station and back... seemed to fix the issue.

This morning in 1.2.2 I revisited my Minmus 2module base and Eva'd a kerbal. The base started sliding immediately even though the kerbal was on the ground.

The modules of the base are all connected via kas. When I moved the kerbal, the base would follow.

The slide was halted once the modules were unlinked. At no point was SAS engaged.

For Slope ankering is a USI funktion realy helpful. Ground tater.

As for slide problem i has a experience like you in a case of wight distribution. My plane was a little missbuild and has a big load on oxidizer after landing. After the landing this caused the middlestack to sack down between the wings and there mounted wheels. The plane has nose up after this and began to roll backwards with full brakes. I managed to roll towards a runway light and as the plane stoped for short moment to recover it. Now i attach the wheels to middle stack and drag them from there toward the wings with gizmos for wider land stand.

Maybe you have some forces like me not realy visible but present for physics engine.

Funny Kabooms 

Urses 

Edited by Urses

9 minutes ago, Urses said:

Maybe you have some forces like me not realy visible but present for physics engine.

Makes as much sense as anything I can come up with. Seems obvious this is not a common issue. Time to embrace it as a unique feature in my game. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.