KSP Challenge: Place the groundstations!

Just wondering, are we allowed to parachute the groundstation in?

I'm modifying a Stratolauncher to carry the groundstation, so I can drop it over the groundstation, parachute it down, nd drive it the rest of the way. I'll need to devise alternate transport for the reef.

Edited by DeltaDizzy

6 hours ago, DeltaDizzy said:

Just wondering, are we allowed to parachute the groundstation in?

I'm modifying a Stratolauncher to carry the groundstation, so I can drop it over the groundstation, parachute it down, nd drive it the rest of the way. I'll need to devise alternate transport for the reef.

I think it's covered under the rocket/parachute delivery method. Keep in mind, the groundstation assembly I've created is just powerful enough to drive out of a MK3 bay, it's not really capable of trucking. And besides, it would be mixing delivery methods. So if you can't drop it inside the 200m. sphere, you'd be better off with landing a plane there.

5 hours ago, luizopiloto said:

what about stations delivered by boat? ಠ__ಠ

Yes, just like I'm doing right now. But keep in mind, you have to do the last bit by truck.

Here I've arrived with the ferry after sailing around the whole peninsula. I should've started from KSC with the truck on the ferry in the first place. Now to decide where to go with it.

Excuse me guys. Some points maybe I didn't understand perfectly.
What does it mean:

On 2017. 06. 07. at 6:28 PM, Badie said:

Various objects are hidden on Kerbin, some are references to popular culture. You can choose to delete them, explore them or ignore them

If the groundstation has weels and can it go by itself, can it be counted as a truck?

The groundstations (made by the gamer) should be as close as possible to the "original" ones?

6 minutes ago, TheYellowMan said:

Excuse me guys. Some points maybe I didn't understand perfectly.
What does it mean:

If the groundstation has weels and can it go by itself, can it be counted as a truck?

The groundstations (made by the gamer) should be as close as possible to the "original" ones?

No, a groundstation is supposed to drive a few meters, out of a truck or cargo bay. It should fit in a Mk3 cargo bay, how you do it, doesn't matter.

2 hours ago, llanthas said:

I'm intensely curious what the groudstations look like now...   Were they a physical object already in the game?

Download the save, go to the tracking station and from there to a flag. Although disabled, the models are next to it.

Edited by Azimech

On 7.6.2017 at 6:54 PM, monstah said:

Stock take off and landing?

Superb take off and landing?

Stylish take off and landing?

Supernatural take off and landing?

SHAZAM! - took off and landed?

Kaboom=all groundstation parts are inside a 50m radius around the flag!:D

Funny Kabooms 

Urses 

I have quite a thing going on...:D

It has Azimechs groundstation on board, slightly lighter. I hope i have the patience with this max speed of around 35m/s...:confused:
This contains my secret stock electric propeller drive, in Chinook shape.

Spoiler

rUV8OgZ.png

Edited by Mikki

I might not do this challenge at all; I'll have too much fun trying to visit each of the easter eggs!

Quick question to @Azimech: What terrain settings did you use? I tried to load one of your objects to see what it was but it exploded. Never mind; I didn't read the OP carefully enough.

Edited by Mjp1050

Ok, so here is my entry:

A STOL-ish MK3 transport was used for all missions - it was developed slightly along the way, as I got a better idea of fuel consumption and improved pitch authority with flaps deployed.
Cruise to each location was assisted by Waypoint Manager and Kramax Autopilot Continued. Typically cruising at 8000m, 200m/s.
The ground station from the provided save file was used with a slightly widened wheel base, still fitting into the MK3 bay.

First, easy, mission was to VoIP Valley - sent a scout plane ahead to figure out the procedures.
Then followed Package Peak, CODEC Crater, Megabit Mountain.
Router Reef was a bit tricky, as it was hard to find a parking spot where the vehicles did not slide down.
Synchronous Summit was saved for last, as it seemed the most daunting. A few re-loads were required before a landing was completed with only a few bits missing.

Overall a nice challenge, and certainly a save file with some interesting surprises. I guess my score will be 6 * 30 = 180 points.

http://imgur.com/a/saPN5

Edited by norup

2 hours ago, norup said:

Ok, so here is my entry:

A STOL-ish MK3 transport was used for all missions - it was developed slightly along the way, as I got a better idea of fuel consumption and improved pitch authority with flaps deployed.
Cruise to each location was assisted by Waypoint Manager and Kramax Autopilot Continued. Typically cruising at 8000m, 200m/s.
The ground station from the provided save file was used with a slightly widened wheel base, still fitting into the MK3 bay.

First, easy, mission was to VoIP Valley - sent a scout plane ahead to figure out the procedures.
Then followed Package Peak, CODEC Crater, Megabit Mountain.
Router Reef was a bit tricky, as it was hard to find a parking spot where the vehicles did not slide down.
Synchronous Summit was saved for last, as it seemed the most daunting. A few re-loads were required before a landing was completed with only a few bits missing.

Overall a nice challenge, and certainly a save file with some interesting surprises. I guess my score will be 6 * 30 = 180 points.

http://imgur.com/a/saPN5

Good job! I do the same, tweaking the design with every new flag.

1 hour ago, million_lights said:

The blades don't spin but it's all stock parts, a VTOL and it flies very well.

But is it a stock helicopter? You decide xD

AZezDmZ.jpgnDixwU0.jpg

Fascinating design! From the rear it looks like something real. The front is very sci-fi :-)

But a stock helicopter? Nope ;-) If you want to try one, there's one parked near Synchronous Summit. Just put a kerbal (pilot) in and fly away.

Edited by Azimech

On ‎7‎-‎6‎-‎2017 at 6:54 PM, monstah said:

Stock take off and landing?

Superb take off and landing?

Stylish take off and landing?

Supernatural take off and landing?

SHAZAM! - took off and landed?

STOL means Sea Take-Off and Landing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.