[Help] Overshooting on time warp

I am trying to go to eve. I get out of kerbins sphere of influence with constant velocity (~3000m/s) towards eve. Then if I do time warp. After just 5 minutes, i find my craft out of kerbol system. And it shows "On escape trajectory out of the sun." If decrease time wrap it moves very slow. With full time wrap, it moves fast then suddenly shows it out of kerbol system. Is it a bug or I am doing something wrong? It happens all the time. 

Maximum time warp is some ridiculous value with a bunch of zeros -- I don't recall if it's 100,000 or 1,000,000, but given you're on a transfer orbit from Kerbin to Eve, your transit time would be something like 75-90 days, and at 100,000 time warp, that time will pass in just a couple real-time minutes -- and if you were on a cometary transfer (i.e. highly eccentric, for a bad window and/or very fast trip) you'll be above system escape velocity as you travel.  If you had an encounter set up before you warped, an unintentional gravity assist can also kick you above system escape.

To avoid this, after setting up a maneuver (say, a capture burn), you can click on your orbit past the node, and one of the popup options is "warp to next maneuver".  This will auto-warp at highest speed, so take the least of your real-world play time, but will automatically stop one minute before your burn is due.  Not the best for going and getting a cup of coffee while your game runs, but perfect for avoiding an overshoot (aside from the fact that if your attention isn't on the game window, you'll still overshoot because you won't notice the warp has stopped within that minute).

Another option is to use auto-warp to a location short of your next burn.  For an interplanetary transfer, the closest you're likely to be able to click will give you hours, or even days, but the auto-warp will stop before you overshoot and you can then manually warp closer when you come back to your computer.

Edited by Zeiss Ikon
typo and additional through on system escape

I think "escape trajectory out of the sun" can mean "will capture into another planet's SOI".

The patched conics are a much better guide: just see if your orbital track continues to show an Eve intercept.

Also, Kerbal Alarm Clock is an outright godsend, as you can make alarms for SOI transitions, manuever nodes, raw time alarms, ascending/descending nodes, you name it. It's not stock, but it's one of the most widely used utility mods; I use it religiously.

Standard mod things apply: you should probably install mods into a copy of your KSP game folder (for Steam, this will usually be C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program), so you always have a pristine installation untouched by mods, Steam doesn't update KSP behind your back, etc.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.