Life Disadvantages thread

ModerndayLink

I have ADD (attention deficit disorder) and it makes it hard to focus in school, I used to take concerta and now I have been able to focus without taking the medication.

I also found out the hard way that I am allergic to eggs, so  because of this I can't eat cookies or cakes or pancakes. I have overcome this by using flax seed as a substitute in cakes, and applesauce as a substitute in pancakes.

Probably my biggest disadvantage in life is my location - a country where nearly EVERYTHING is regulated. Want to launch a low power sugar + KNO3 rocket? Ha! Good luck finding KNO3. You somehow managed to find it? Good luck meeting all the regulations - there's a lot. 

Really grinds my gears that I can't do anything up here. :mad:

On 10/06/2017 at 8:27 PM, TheEpicSquared said:

Probably my biggest disadvantage in life is my location - a country where nearly EVERYTHING is regulated. Want to launch a low power sugar + KNO3 rocket? Ha! Good luck finding KNO3. You somehow managed to find it? Good luck meeting all the regulations - there's a lot. 

Yeah, it's similar living in the UK. Everyone is so close together, you'd struggle finding somewhere to launch, along with similar restrictions to the ones you face

On 10/06/2017 at 9:27 PM, TheEpicSquared said:

For me too, i always dreamed of building sounding rockets, but nah, the rocket will probably either end up in the sea together with the Mammoths, on some rich hypocritical farmers field or on a apartment building. I wish i lived in a Desert, or a steppe. Nothing in the way. But you know, i just got to live with it.

One of my disadvantages is that my engineering dreams will never take off because i probably do not have a good enough education. The only things that can happend is me appearing out of nowhere, or someone else stealing my ideas, and he/she will take off with my idea while i serve McDonalds.

Again, i just got to live with it.

You can't quicksafe or quickload in real life. Just imagine you could make a quicksafe before doing something stupid and if you fail, you simply quickload!

However, I wouldn't want to have Alt-F5, as I know myself, I wouldn't stop qickloading until everything is perfect (and it's never), so I would be trapped in life forever.

Edited by Physics Student

17 hours ago, NSEP said:

One of my disadvantages is that my engineering dreams will never take off because i probably do not have a good enough education. The only things that can happend is me appearing out of nowhere, or someone else stealing my ideas, and he/she will take off with my idea while i serve McDonalds.

I hear SpaceX doesn't look too closely at educational status...

One disadvantage I have is occasional complex migraines- When one strikes, I can't really use my brain for a few hours, then afterwards I have a bad headache for a whole day. I'm still not sure how to stop it at the beginning, and I worry that if I go to space I'll get a really bad one right away.

I grew up with horrible allergies. Pets of all shapes and sizes, most nuts, most fruits, house dust mites, hay, and pretty much anything pollen-related from April to August. In elementary school, I sometimes had to stay home because even indoors and medicated I was not able to function normally. We tried a dozen different treatments; none worked.

Then, softly and silently and almost unnoticably at first, it started to lessen during my teenage years. By the time I was 20, regular antihistamines were enough to let me live a reasonably normal life during spring and summer, and I no longer had to decline visits to friends with pets entirely. By 25, I would be able to get through the less intense days without medication.

And nowadays? I sneeze a little more often, and in May and June, there may be some extremely dry and sunny days where I pop a modest blocker for comfort. I can eat almost anything I like, with the exception of apples (and I we have our own tree that grows special hypoallergenic ones every year). The dust allergy remains as the worst one, but as long as I keep my room mopped once a week it's not a noteworthy issue.

I am left with an instinctive aversion to the smell of blooming flowers and dry plant matter, an instinctive aversion to touching animals, a general dislike for citrus fruit, and a deep gratitude to whatever biological process allowed me to roll a natural 20 on my saving throw there. To all who still suffer from heavy allergies, I feel for you.

Edited by Streetwind

2 hours ago, cubinator said:

I hear SpaceX doesn't look too closely at educational status...

One disadvantage I have is occasional complex migraines- When one strikes, I can't really use my brain for a few hours, then afterwards I have a bad headache for a whole day. I'm still not sure how to stop it at the beginning, and I worry that if I go to space I'll get a really bad one right away.

I get acephalgic scintillating scotoma, basically migraine auras without the follow-on headaches. I started getting them back in 2007. First time I had one it scared the crap out of me, I thought I was having a stroke or something. But after talking to my doctor I discovered that they were essentially harmless and I was only getting them about every other month, so I just ignored them. But, after I had my surgery in 2014 I started getting them two or three times a week, which was a bit more of a problem. So my doc here put me on medication for it, and now they're down to about every other week. So, I guess I'm unlucky that I get them at all, but lucky that I don't get the headaches.

1 hour ago, Streetwind said:

I grew up with horrible allergies. Pets of all shapes and sizes, most nuts, most fruits, house dust mites, hay, and pretty much anything pollen-related from April to August. In elementary school, I sometimes had to stay home because even indoors and medicated I was not able to function normally. We tried a dozen different treatments; none worked.

Then, softly and silently and almost unnoticably at first, it started to lessen during my teenage years. By the time I was 20, regular antihistamines were enough to let me live a reasonably normal life during spring and summer, and I no longer had to decline visits to friends with pets entirely. By 25, I would be able to get through the less intense days without medication.

And nowadays? I sneeze a little more often, and in May and June, there may be some extremely dry and sunny days where I pop a modest blocker for comfort. I can eat almost anything I like, with the exception of apples (and I we have our own tree that grows special hypoallergenic ones every year). The dust allergy remains as the worst one, but as long as I keep my room mopped once a week it's not a noteworthy issue.

I am left with an instinctive aversion to the smell of blooming flowers and dry plant matter, an instinctive aversion to touching animals, a general dislike for citrus fruit, and a deep gratitude to whatever biological process allowed me to roll a natural 20 on my saving throw there. To all who still suffer from heavy allergies, I feel for you.

I had terrible allergies also when I was younger, and that was back in the 1970s when there was nothing reasonable to treat them at all. I had a prescription antihistamine that I could take, but it would knock me out for hours. The playground at the school I went to was surrounded on two sides with these massive oleander hedges, and every spring when they would bloom I would just be incapacitated. I would miss probably a week or two of school a year. Cats and perfume were also bad, but they were pretty easy to avoid. But like you I grew out of it, by my teen years it was just an average hay fever.

Probably the worst I have is Marfan syndrome. (Although I haven't been officially diagnosed with it, since I haven't gone in to have the genetic testing, my doctor and I both agree that it is most likely suspect.) I've always had loose joints, I have a long history of dislocations. And then in 2014 I had emergency open heart surgery to correct a 10cm ascending aortic aneurysm, which by all rights should have killed me. So now my aorta all the way from my aortic root through the arch is a mix of ex-pig parts and Dacron tubing. I'm going to have to go back in and get my aortic valve replaced sometime in the next 10-15 years. (7-12 years now, where does the time go?) But they're already doing that as a minimally-invasive procedure through the femoral artery for high-risk patients now, by the time I get around to it they'll almost certainly be doing that for everyone. So, the good news is that this is the worst thing that can happen from Marfan's. We're just keeping an eye on my eyes to see if my lenses slip (which is correctable with surgery), and I'm working out to keep my muscle strength up which helps with the dislocations and to keep my resting heart rate down which will stave off the valve replacement.

Really, even with all that, I can sit here and easily name half-a-dozen people I know or have known personally that have it worse than I do. My wife works as a physical therapist, she sees people every day she works who would gladly trade their circumstances with me. No point in complaining, you just have to play the cards you're dealt.

20 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

get acephalgic scintillating scotoma, basically migraine auras without the follow-on headaches. I started getting them back in 2007. First time I had one it scared the crap out of me, I thought I was having a stroke or something. But after talking to my doctor I discovered that they were essentially harmless and I was only getting them about every other month, so I just ignored them. But, after I had my surgery in 2014 I started getting them two or three times a week, which was a bit more of a problem. So my doc here put me on medication for it, and now they're down to about every other week. So, I guess I'm unlucky that I get them at all, but lucky that I don't get the headaches.

I usually get that, followed by a numbness in a thumb or toe which crawls about my body, and my mind gets fuzzy and I can't remember how to speak. The headache is the least awful part of the ordeal.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.