TCIS's Guide to Editing Parts

Chel

Are you annoyed that the crash tolerance of a part is too low, breaking at what feels like a feather touching it? Want to add some extra thrust to those jet engines? Want to mess around and, due to your foolishness, break the game have some fun with your new 'beefed up' parts? All you need is simple knowledge of the KSP files, and a text editor!

I've used Windows Notepad as my editing program, as it's the easiest thing for me, and is installed on my PC, but you can use whatever you want, as long as it can open files. Simply go to the part that you want to edit, find the .cfg file of it, right click it, select 'open with', then select Windows Notepad (or whatever you're using). It should open it, and you're halfway there!

Go to the thing that you want to edit (e.g. crash tolerance, name, description,) and change it! I was annoyed that the jet engines used too much fuel (in my opinion, please no flame war on fuel efficiency!), so I changed the rate of fuel draining for the engine thrust. Next I modified the J-33 'Wheesley' Basic Turbofan Engine's crash tolerance (changed to 150m/s), the thrust (max thrust to 2500), and some other values.

Next, after you've changed your respective part(s), simply go to 'File', and click 'Save'. Then simply close the editor, launch KSP whenever you're ready, and pray that you don't break the game enjoy your edited parts!

Edited by The_Cat_In_Space

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.