My impending addiction to Star Trek!

AR3S_TGL

One of the things I've noticed is that there are a decent number of episodes in TNG that have very similar plots... but I'm not sure if that's a bad thing. My only real issue with TNG is that there's no mirror universe episode. The closest we got was "Yesterday's Enterprise", but that's not the mirror universe. I guess DS:9 kind of fixed that.

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 8:00 AM, 5thHorseman said:

However, it left me wondering, if their entire communication system is built up on - essentially - memes... how do they learn to talk? Do they give all their children lifetime access to their own culture's version of knowyourmeme?

The same way we do, I presume. A lot of people forget that we speak in memes, too. A good portion of modern English vernacular has origins in old stories. "Break the ice" for example, is from Shakespeare's plays. So it's not much of a stretch that communication could be done by referencing stories. So long as the meaning is universally understood, then it works. Sometimes we make comparisons between our lives and the characters in various stories.

Well.... I was like 10, and I was doing the usual (That was 5 years ago) for some reason i was obsessed with physical props+effects, space, and general aircraftery , and in the "recommended" tab, there was a strange looking disk shaped spacecraft, guess what it is! it was the uss voyager, and a short video on how they did the fx... I watched that video like, 5 times over, then saw + heard the title of the show (i`ll leave you to figure that one out! :wink:) and, of course, watched the battle of wolf 359, then (part) of a episode of voyager, then a episode of TNG, then a documentary on the science behind it, and from then on, I never really watched any other scifi movie (star wars a few times), with a exception of 2001, and 2010 a space odyssey.... I love 2010....

I have pound a dusty copy of the first Elite Force. It is by brother's favourite game. I have been playing that, Subnautica and Rimworld.

On 2017-6-20 at 7:12 AM, FokkerAce said:

Well.... I was like 10, and I was doing the usual (That was 5 years ago) for some reason i was obsessed with physical props+effects, space, and general aircraftery , and in the "recommended" tab, there was a strange looking disk shaped spacecraft, guess what it is! it was the uss voyager, and a short video on how they did the fx... I watched that video like, 5 times over, then saw + heard the title of the show (i`ll leave you to figure that one out! :wink:) and, of course, watched the battle of wolf 359, then (part) of a episode of voyager, then a episode of TNG, then a documentary on the science behind it, and from then on, I never really watched any other scifi movie (star wars a few times), with a exception of 2001, and 2010 a space odyssey.... I love 2010....

Attempted to watch 2001. Failed miserably. I liked it, so it is with my film possibilities (with Sunshine, Mission: Impossible and the Borne series)

2 hours ago, AR3S_TGL said:

I have pound a dusty copy of the first Elite Force. It is by brother's favourite game. I have been playing that, Subnautica and Rimworld.

Attempted to watch 2001. Failed miserably. I liked it, so it is with my film possibilities (with Sunshine, Mission: Impossible and the Borne series)

wait what? You failed miserably and liked it? Or are you talking about star trek being one of your film possibilities?

Edited by FokkerAce

21 hours ago, FokkerAce said:

wait what? You failed miserably and liked it? Or are you talking about star trek being one of your film possibilities?

No, you mentioned 2001, which I liked but couldn't be bothered to watch. Star Trek was on this list of films and programmes I generally couldn't be bothered watching. Obviously, now it is not.

2 hours ago, AR3S_TGL said:

No, you mentioned 2001, which I liked but couldn't be bothered to watch. Star Trek was on this list of films and programmes I generally couldn't be bothered watching. Obviously, now it is not.

its slow, but good, its also a very accurate representation of space travel........ (aka the longest road trip in the world)

15 hours ago, FokkerAce said:

its slow, but good, its also a very accurate representation of space travel........ (aka the longest road trip in the world)

Yeah, I will definitely will watch it soon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.