Rover wheel not running at 100% capacity

i am holding forward and only getting 5 from the moter, but when i turn left and right a bit it shoots up to 100%

so what is the deal with that?, any way i can make it run 100% at 100% of the time?

thx

Edited by Zym3x
got the images working

For me it looks like you have a heavy vehicle on a slope. And if you run upwards you will get slover. After you turn to side you get a smaller slope to work with and you can go faster this way. 

Funny Kabooms 

Urses 

You might try adjusting the traction control setting. If KSP's traction control works anything like the real thing then it should send less power to the wheels when they start to slip. Turning the traction control slider down may allow the wheels get more power at the expense of spinning out on slopes.

To prevent slipping in the first place you can click on that Friction Control button and turn the friction up on your wheels.

Edited by HvP

yeah slopes may help speed, but from my observations the motor is actually working harder when you turn vs just holding forward. You can see it on the electricity bar, it just drops a lot quicker.

Yup, this a problem for the largest wheels only - unlike the others, they use 'tank' steering, meaning they use differential throttle to turn, rather than physically steering. The 'bug' (if there is one, not sure if it's intended behaviour or not) is that the throttle the steering can use doesn't scale with how fast you're moving or traction control or anything, like normal driving does, instead just going all the way up to 100 at all times. As such, if you mash left and right repeatedly, you can effectively run the motor at 100% at all times :)

Are you already close to top speed? I'm pretty sure that how KSP handles top speed on wheels is that it throttles your motors back when you start going too fast, such that you're only accelerating enough to keep up with any friction or slope.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.