Stock BDA dogfighters 1.2 (youtube)

Welllll... after many errors, both user and technical, I've finally decided to trust goduranus to host the video. Thank you very much to BDArmoury taking a huge dump on my good morning, by the way, as now I need to submit an issue. I ran the fights the same as I always have, but no guns would fire at all. Only missiles would fire, regardless of my attempts to change settings about. Both Super Dreadnought and Alpha bare the GAU-8 like fangs, which experienced dogfighters know to fear that deadly purr on their six. No purr, no fair. The easiest fix is to hand Alpha over to my challenger in hopes that his older version of BDA will honor our fight, the same as we honor the challenge. 

Alpha versus P-1187 Super Dreadnought incoming! Take coverrrr~!

@Triop If you feel some kinda way about a fight with another rules set appearing in your thread, know this: As you may well-understand, we love what we do, so we shared it with you. And I still intend to submit a craft for this competition as well, only I must wait until the issues with BDA are resolved. Reading back, it looks like that's pretty much what you're holding out for as well... 

Annnd we in interrupt our regular programming to bring you: Alpha vs Super Dreadnought, Round 1:

Fight

Uploaded without edit, skip to 1:20 for action.

Coming up next, Round two, from the Super Dreadnought's perspective

Edited by goduranus

9 hours ago, goduranus said:

@aleksey444 that one is pushing the limits of the original rule where it says the craft should look like a plane. It looks like an A-wing, is there a real world plane that has a similar configuration, if not then maybe @Triop can pitch in?

@goduranus

It looks like an airplane.  Maybe not in that screenshot, but definitely in general.

There are no real world analogues for ADFX-01 Morgan (it's a sci-fi plane), nor for the Dorito.

It took me a few days to engineer it.  Please run it.

Edited by aleksey444

2 hours ago, goduranus said:
  Hide contents

Complete victory for the Alpha. I once thought I had the best dogfighter, but looks like TheLionsBite has one way better

And I was sick with worry I'd have to go public with Alpha... Looks like that time in testing really is paying off. So far she's still undefeated against four hardcore competitors, but the day will come that she's forcibly retired, I'm sure. Best gratification of the day right here, knowing Alpha had to pull out all the stops once again. The fatal flaw in Super Dreadnought was almost certainly her aerodynamics. 

@aleksey444 While Dorito and Morgan aren't modeled after real world planes, their outstanding features have real-world precedents, like vertically stacked engines on the English Electric Lightning, or mid-wing engine pods on the SR-71. The AF-2's wing shape looks like the Hopeless Diamond, which is good, but its dragster styled rear spoiler doesn't seem to have a real world precedent. I did run your plane, but I just don't want the main planes in this thread to wind up on a slippery slope like in the other thread.

AF-2 Badger vs the Dorito

Spoiler

Both sides expended many missiles at the beginning, with neither side scoring a missile kill. Seeming having superior low speed maneuverability and airbrakes, the Dorito was able to best the Badger in the subsequent gun duel. The Badger wasn't able to get guns on due to the lack of yaw authority as a result of the absence of a rudder.

Edited by goduranus

@goduranus Are you gonna be regularly recording these battles? Because you may have noticed my plane, the Dorito, not firing its missiles. I fixed the fixed the issue, and if you're still going, then from here on out, I'd like the fixed version to be used.

2 hours ago, goduranus said:

They are firing missiles, see AF-2 Badger vs the Dorito video, the Badger was getting missile warnings.

Well, not all of them, and not all the time. In that video, one of my planes never fired any of its missiles at all; the 3 minute mark shows my plane still has four missiles on its hardpoints, and it starts out with four missiles.

Edited by drtricky

On 6/23/2017 at 2:38 PM, aleksey444 said:

There are no real world analogues for ADFX-01 Morgan (it's a sci-fi plane), nor for the Dorito.

The canard-delta wing configuration of my plane the Dorito can be found on the Eurofighter Typhoon, as well as many other fighters.

Edited by drtricky

F-10 Striker vs MicroAIII

Spoiler

Missile exchange favored the MicroA, with 1 MicroA lost for two F-10s. F-10 Striker was sitting duck for MicroA's guns due to speed loss resulting from overly aggressive turns

Edited by goduranus

5 minutes ago, goduranus said:

What was the problem and how did you fix it?

My old plane had one hard point on each wing, with two missiles each. The inboard missiles on the hard points were too close to the fuselage, which prevented them from being fired. I moved the hard points further away from the fuselage to fix this. 

Although I did add an additional four missiles to increase its suppression ability, unrelated to the earlier problem. Is that illegal right now? I can quickly change it if that's the case.

Edited by drtricky

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.