Black Box

Ty Tan Tu

I guess this has come up before, but I thought I would bring it up again with the advent of the Comm Network.

I was flying a test mission with a MechJeb attached. I was done with the craft, and decided to burnt it up over Kerbin. The ship burnt up fine enough, but the Navball was still there. Zooming in, my MechJeb did not burn up. I followed it down and it crashed in a inhospitable mountains area, I thought , 'Cool! it would be fun to track down that part and recovery it.'

35296137755_74665f8be3_o.jpg 

The idea for a mod would be a black box with a tiny bit of mass, so that it does not end up to far away, and is hard to find. It has a radio beacon, but limited battery. You can narrow down where it is with a relay antenna, but you don't have much time. Maybe the black box has all the info of the last say two hours of the flight. But the fun would be in just finding and recovering the black box - with the clock ticking... 

While this sounds like a cool idea, you're going to have to be more specific with how you want it implemented. I could easily model a black rectangle and make it impossible to break but it sounds like you want a slightly more complicated part. Think about what specifically would have to be done and if it could be done using stock modules.

I'm thinking more along the lines of search and rescue type contracts tied in with this idea.

Also, your incident with the mechjeb case reminds of when my spacecraft spontaneously disassembled and sent the mechjeb case into a solar escape orbit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.