TCIS's Guide To Asteroid Capture!

Chel

Seen those things in the Map view, that have a ? on them? Ever wanted to see one up close, but not close enough that it destroys all life on Kerbin? Then this guide is for you!

What You Will Need

A Kerbal, preferably not scared or stupid enough to screw it up and risk redirecting the asteroid to a planet or moon.

An Advanced Grabbing Unit, also called an 'AGU' for short, but is nicknamed the 'Klaw'.

Skill and patience

Knowledge of manoeuvre nodes

A craft capable to encounter an asteroid, and get back to Kerbin, without running out of fuel

Part 1: Decisions!

Asteroid capture has so many possibilities! Do you want to shoot it off into space? Put it in orbit around a planet or moon? What size of asteroid do you want?

Once you've decided what you want to do with it, then I advise planning it out on a piece of paper before actually attempting it, so you don't forget anything important.

Part 2: Construction!
Once you've planned it out, then it's time to get building! You can use either a rocket or a spaceplane, but a rocket is preferable. Design a rocket that has lots of fuel and Monopropellant, as RCS thrusters will be VERY handy in stopping you from hitting the asteroid, and making precise movements. Once you've built a suitable spacecraft, then attach at least one AGU to your design, preferably a large distance away from the ship (I.e. mounting it on girders at the top of the command pod). Once you've chosen the crew, built the craft, and everything else, then it's time to launch!

Part 3: Small Fish In A Big Pond

Hopefully your craft should get into Kerbin orbit. Heading straight for your target isn't ideal as soon as you've launched, I suggest getting into an orbit anywhere from 125 to 200K. That means less distance between you and your destructive, rocky, friend, floating out there in the massive pond, that is, space. The easiest thing to do next would be to create a manoeuvre node that intercepts your target, and provides some distance between it, so you don't end up getting there, but slamming into it, potentially sending it towards a planet or moon.

Part 4: Patience, And A Steady Hand

Once you've setup a manoeuvre node that intercepts your asteroid, complete the necessary burn. If you followed my advice, then fuel shouldn't be an issue. Once the burn is done, timewarp as much as you need to, to cross the large distance between Kerbin and the asteroid. I suggest time-warping down gradually as you get closer, as you don't want a collision that could've been avoidable! Now that you're heading towards it at quite some speed, turn your craft around, and FIRE THOSE ENGINES! Do this to stop you from crashing into it or missing it. Once you're close to the asteroid, and have basically stopped all forward motion, then prepare for grabbing!.

Part 5: Steady...Steady...Steady!

If you followed my advice with fuel, then you should also have heaps of Monopropellant as well as fuel handy. Deploy your AGU, and right click on it, selecting 'Control From Here'. This will change the keyboard controls to what it 'sees', making it useful for grabbing. This is also a handy tip if you are docking to something. Go slowly, using RCS thrusters to move in. Once you're close enough, the 'arms' of the AGU should be touching the asteroid. If you've successfully grabbed it, then the camera should change, and you will know that you're attached!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.