[1.3] Physics Calmer aka "gentle drop on the runway"

Morse

I can't believe nobody has done such a mod before. I can't believe it so hard, that I'm actually sure someone did, and it just that my google-fu wasn't strong enough.

Anyway,

So, imagine the situation: you constructed an enormous behemoth of a plane consisting of 200 parts. You try to launch it, but it explodes the very moment it touches the runway. If only you could disable the crash damage for 5 seconds, until the wobbling is calmed, and the plane settles on the runway...

And that is precisely what this mod does. It is trivial: it enables "no crash damage" and "unbreakable joints" through cheat menu for 5 seconds on flight scene load. That's it!

Download

Code (the whole 20 lines of it)

51 minutes ago, garwel said:

Is it needed with gradual physics kick-in since KSP 1.2 (I think)?

I don't know about "gradual kick-in", but I wrote this just now, for 1.3, because my 150-parts plane couldn't make it past 3 seconds of flight 9 times out of 10. Now it starts OK every time. Now to make it airborne... well, that's a totally different story :)

1 hour ago, Morse said:

I can't believe nobody has done such a mod before. I can't believe it so hard, that I'm actually sure someone did, and it just that my google-fu wasn't strong enough.

KJR has it baked in.  Or at least something very similar.  Admittedly though if all you want is this function, a stand-alone mod might be useful.  :wink:

2 hours ago, garwel said:

Is it needed with gradual physics kick-in since KSP 1.2 (I think)?

The problem is, after the physics gradually kicked in the plane still means to jump upwards because the wheels are below the tarmac or the suspension of the gear is filled with gunpowder or what ever - when falling down the 2nd time the physics are 100% and the thing gets destroyed.

So the purpose of this mod is likely much appreciated.

If damper power could also be set to 0 for a few seconds that would be perfect.

• 4 weeks later...

Kerbal joint reinforcement does take care of that too. However it does take care for a lot more. 

So this is an excellent mod as a stand-alone if you still want to keep you loading nominal and your joints as in Stock 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. I've been having problems with the procedural fairings, there is something about them the physics load really doesn't like, at least with large ones. I wish I'd been recording with one, the whole fairing ripped off (usual failure) and the large solar panels inside were hurled out at near relativistic velocities. Seriously, they completely disappeared climbing over KSC on a dead flat trajectory.

I've been wondering the same as you were, thanks for getting to it :)

On 7/6/2017 at 11:11 PM, White Owl said:

Yeah, I believe KJR is incompatible with Infernal Robotics and other moving parts mods, so this Physics Calmer would be a very useful alternative.

Pretty sure the latest dev versions are compatible as I'm using IR with no issues.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This mod is great and belongs on CKAN!

Also, do you think I could prevail upon you to also invoke this when vessels dock or undock?  I'm having a heck of a problem winching small wheeled rovers to anything without them flinging themselves wildly into the sky…

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2018 at 12:50 PM, Atario said:

This mod is great and belongs on CKAN!

Also, do you think I could prevail upon you to also invoke this when vessels dock or undock?  I'm having a heck of a problem winching small wheeled rovers to anything without them flinging themselves wildly into the sky…

I probably won't support this one enough to warrant CKAN listing. Same for docking/undocking. This is mod is very simple, and I intend to leave it this way. For docking/undocking you probably should find something else.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Can't say anything about world stabilizer, never used it. But it looks like it does a ton of things. If your only problem is like mine: just the runway drop, then I would recommend my mod. It's super simple, and will never interfere with anything.

Other than that, I can't even say if the mod is still relevant or not. I never played without it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.