TheKosanianMethod

So I've been sitting around in school doing nothing, and I found 2048, a game of matching tiles to get tile number 2048. It also tracks the player's score, so I was wondering if anyone else had found it, and what their highscore was.

My personal best is 12,428 with the highest tile being 1024.

Played it way too much some time back. It is sort of addicting but I grew tired of the randomness in it throwing any strategy out the window. No maths involved and not much of a puzzle. Now, cross 2048 with Sokoban and it could get weirdly interesting.

• 1 year later...

It's the middle of the night and I'm bloody exhausted. I think I've gone as far as can/want to with this game. It took me forever to get to 2048. And then a long, long time to do it again. Then a friend showed me how she made it to 4096. So I shot for that and finally got it. By then I was addicted, and I mean I could not stop playing the damn game. I cruised forums on how to play and watched those crazy videos on YouTube where they speed the game up and you don't have a clue about what's happening when. I finally found a version with an undo option, so I decided to learn by using this. I used this a lot because after 4096 it's so easy to go the wrong way. One misstep and it's over. I learned a LOT this way. I'd highly suggest it. A few days ago I hit the 16384 tile, and I thought, that's it, I'm wiped. But a couple of days later I tried again and finally hit 32768. Tonight, with much fear, staring and thinking, I hit 65536. Hit me if I try to keep going. I had to tell someone. I keep looking at the screen in disbelief. I REALLY sucked at this game for about 3 years. I tried to post a photo here but can't find a way to do that; if I figure out how, I will. Oh yeah, high score is 487418. Faceplanting now.

6 hours ago, ssshunt said:

It's the middle of the night and I'm bloody exhausted. I think I've gone as far as can/want to with this game. It took me forever to get to 2048. And then a long, long time to do it again. Then a friend showed me how she made it to 4096. So I shot for that and finally got it. By then I was addicted, and I mean I could not stop playing the damn game. I cruised forums on how to play and watched those crazy videos on YouTube where they speed the game up and you don't have a clue about what's happening when. I finally found a version with an undo option, so I decided to learn by using this. I used this a lot because after 4096 it's so easy to go the wrong way. One misstep and it's over. I learned a LOT this way. I'd highly suggest it. A few days ago I hit the 16384 tile, and I thought, that's it, I'm wiped. But a couple of days later I tried again and finally hit 32768. Tonight, with much fear, staring and thinking, I hit 65536. Hit me if I try to keep going. I had to tell someone. I keep looking at the screen in disbelief. I REALLY sucked at this game for about 3 years. I tried to post a photo here but can't find a way to do that; if I figure out how, I will. Oh yeah, high score is 487418. Faceplanting now.

Uhhhh.....maybe go for a walk somewhere and wind down...

https://cubeupload.com/

That's a good site for uploading images, if you want to do so ^

18 hours ago, YNM said:

2048 isn't that hard though XD

It is if you are a physic or math professor seeing it for the first time:

Both of these channels are good.  Numberphile is amazing... Worth falling down it's rabbit hole. 

I've found that  mathematicians and logictiions jump in right away, solve the game and say "It's a 3s rip-off," and while it is, that doesn't make it easier to lay people. I have good pattern recognition but I still had a hell of a time at the beginning. Took me forever to hit 2048. Thanks for the videos! I'll check out Numberphile.

3 hours ago, ssshunt said:

solve the game and say "It's a 3s rip-off,"

All I know is to (try) keep the biggest value in a corner.

The name for that can be balls.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.