How do I make a 2x2 grid of videos?

JacobJHC

I think this is the right subforum because this is video related and not KSP related.

I am currently working on a video I made for an SSTO that visited Thatmo from the Outer Planets Mod. Like most SSTOs I build it had no testing to ensure it could make it there and back. I ended up using many many gravity assists to get myself out there. I want to put 4 clips, each a flyby, into a 2x2 formation so the video can show 4 at once instead of a whole bunch one at a time. Does anyone know how to do this? I use movie maker. (I doubt it helps but you never know)

Open Broadcaster Software allows to place many videosource subwindows at once - at any position you prefer.

You can play several clips (previously recorded), video from camera, static pictures, game window - in main OBS window and record this.

Edited by kerbiloid

I did this in Roxio Creator using four 'overlays' as it calls them, which is creating four 'overlay' tracks and pasting content into them. I could then position and resize them as needed.

After dumping that unstable piece of [censored] after being fooled four times, I evaluated a bunch of editors and settled on Magix Movie Studio, basically their consumer version of Vegas that they acquired from Sony. They do much the same thing, except each video track is a video track and not specific for overlays. It has independent resizing and repositioning settings for each clip in a track, so I'd just have to create four video tracks, paste my clips into them, then resize and reposition them.

Here's an example, very early in the video.

The only thing I miss in Movie Studio is the ability to reposition and crop video clips at the same time. But maybe I'm missing a step.

I do like my Blender. Its video editing utilities allow for all kinds of things, from placing multiple video tracks on the same screen to synchronising video and audio. You can also composite in other things, like 3D titles or objects, or those "filter" things that are all the rage these days.

10 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Open Broadcaster Software allows to place many videosource subwindows at once - at any position you prefer.

You can play several clips (previously recorded), video from camera, static pictures, game window - in main OBS window and record this.

Thanks. I am trying to use OBS to do so but it will not show the videos when I tell OBS to film their windows. Is there something specific I need to do for them to show up? 

Maybe I don't understand right, but you don't need to start videos in different windows.

You would create a scene, then add several sources to it.
Source type would be video file or so (don't have installed OBS at hands), not window.
On the OBS main panel you will see several rectangles where these clips will be shown. You can move and resize them.
When you then run the scene translation, all clips will play in their rectangles in OBS scene window.

(Also you can add a source for your webcam)

Edited by kerbiloid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.