[1.3.0] Procedural Parts - Starwaster Branch

Starwaster

Procedural Parts, Starwaster Branch.

Download Latest Release for Procedural Parts

Features

The features include

• Everything accessible by tweaking
  • A broad range of shapes including cylinders, truncated cones, filleted cylinders, bezier cones.
  • New part shapes are easy to develop and plug in, so cuboid / pill shaped / whatever else you want shaped will be able to be created.
  • Most stuff configurable in the config file, including resources and fill ratios, tech levels, available shapes
  • Diverse support for career mode - tank shapes, dimensions, and contents all limited by researched tech
  • All supplied parts are carefully designed to be as 'stock alike' as possible in their tech level requirements - You can't create a monster tank before you've discovered basic rocketry for example.
  • Other mod support - tanks for RealFuels, Kethane, Extraplanetary Launchpads, and TAC. Heat shields for Deadly Reentry. (thanks to OtherBarry)
  • Plays nicely with Ferram Aerospace Research
  • Multiple textures available for part surfaces. These are fully compatible with StretchySRB textures.
  • A Module - TankContentSwitcher that can be applied to existing tanks (with say module manager) and allow their contents to be tweaked. Tweak any tank in the VAB into a Liquid fuel only or oxidizer tank.

Parts available

• Tanks Different parts supplied for different 'groups' of fuels (Liquid fuels, SRBs, Monoprop, Xenon). The multiple part approach is to allow for tech limiting of sizes and volumes.
  • SRBs Tweakable thrust (or burn time for real fuels). Tweak between a choice of two bells that are designed for surface or vacuum, with varying ISPs.
  • Decoupler Tweakable diameters (with tech defined limits), ejection impulse, and can be in either decoupler or separator mode (again tech dependent).
  • Structural Part Good for fuselage, adapters, whatever. Half as light as the equivalent tank.
  • Batteries It's a bit rough and ready, but it works well enough.
  • Nose Cone Specialized structural part for nose cones. The shape is limited to a smooth cone with a bounded ratio of diameter to length.
  • Heat Shield Built to the same specs as Deadly Reentry. Will shield any sized object from heat. (requires deadly reentry)

Installation

Just extract the zip into your KSP folder and you should be away. Some of the integration with other mods requires the latest version of ModuleManager, which is included in the zip.

Known Issues

• Sometimes if the procedural part is the lowest part on the rocket, it may explode on the launch pad. Easily worked around with a launch clamp. This is fixable but will take more effort than its worth.

Custom Textures and Texture Packs

Procedural Parts is compatible with all texture packs for StretchySRBs. It's easy to roll your own texture packs too.

Here's some texture packs that other people have compiled:

Ferram4's Saturn and Nova Textures.

Installation instructions in zip.

Download MainSailor's Procedural Textures

Forum Thread for MainSailor's Procedural Textures

blackheart612

Full thread!

Enceos' Procedural Textures

Full Thread

Integration with Real Fuels and Modular Fuel Tanks

Integration with Real Fuels and Modular Fuels Tanks is complete. Ensure you have Real Fuels version 6.1 or newer, and Modular Fuel Tanks 5.0.1 or newer. 

For MFT, the existing tank types are turned into the corresponding MFT type.

For RealFuels, there's an SRB which can be switched between low altitude and high altitude versions, plus a tank which can be switched between the various RF tank types.

Integration with other mods

Procedural Parts has built-in support for MFT, RealFuels, Kethane, Extraplanetary Launchpads, and TAC.

There's also a procedural heat-shield for stock / Deadly Reentry

All part's drag models will automatically update if using Ferram Aerospace Research.

The tank types will automatically appear if the mods are installed. They should be 'fair' compared to their unmodded versions.

How to cheat in career mode have lower tech restrictions

The current tech restrictions have been tailored to closely mimic stock, with a bit of room to alter the original specs. Note that this will not be changed with the out of the box config.

If you'd like more generous limits, you can create a MM patch (ie: cut and paste this into a file called mycheats.cfg in your GameData dir) and tweak to your liking:

@PART[proceduralTank*]
{
	@MODULE[ProceduralPart]
	{
		@TECHLIMIT,*
		{
			// Increase the max length for all tech levels by 3*
			@lengthMax *= 3
			// Corresponding volume increase
            @volumeMax *= 3

// Increase the max diameter by double
            @diameterMax *= 2
            // Since volume goes up on diameter^2, need to use increase^2
            @volumeMax *= 4
        }
	}
}

This will affect all procedural tanks and the SRB. The name of the Real Fuels SRB is "proceduralSRBRealFuels" so you'll need to make another similar patch for that one if you want to mess with that too.

If you'd like to be able to use all the shapes from the early game then use the following MM patch:

@PART[*]
{
    @MODULE[ProceduralShape*]
    {
		-techRequired = dummy
    }
}

This will affect all parts.

Future plans  (sorry, right now Starwaster has his hands busy just doing maintenance and updates)

• Cuboid parts, with customizable side lengths
  • Extruded parts, such as hexagonal and octagonal pieces
  • Add optional mounting pod for surface mounts to pod tank.
  • Procedural command module, possibly with rescaling / tweakable IVA.

Features That Are Not Planned

• Shapes with 'holes' in them and concave shapes - including toroids.
  • Procedural wings, procedural fairings - there's good mods for these already.
  • Procedural engines - May happen one day, but not a priority.

Acknowledgements

ProceduralParts has an extended family tree

• StretchyTanks is the original module by the great @AncientGammoner
  • StretchySRBs was created and updated by NathanKell and e-dog.
  • ProceduralParts is a near complete re-write by @swamp_ig.
  • ProceduralParts was then maintained by @NathanKell
  • ProceduralParts is now owned and maintained by RadarManFromTheMoon
  • Then it was maintained by @OtherBarry and RadarManFromTheMoon
  • Now it's being maintained by some @Starwaster person.

Also featuring

• Extensive work on config and mod integration by OtherBarry
  • Models by Tiberion
  • Further textures by Chestburster and Dante80.
  • Config code by jsimmonds

Licence

Remains as CC-BY-SA 3.0 Unported.

Edited by Starwaster
KSP 1.3.0 Update

Final Procedural Parts update for KSP 1.2.2

https://github.com/Starwaster/ProceduralParts/releases/tag/v1.2.11

• This is the final update for KSP 1.2.2 (next stop, KSP 1.3.0!)
  • Updated categories for Procedural Batteries and decouplers. (Muppet9876)
  • Updated USI Life Support (Muppet9876)
  • Increased significant figures to 5. (apparently we lost precision with KSP 1.0)

Procedural Parts update for KSP 1.3.0

PRE-RELEASE

No significant changes from the previous update other than compatibility changes necessary to compile against the 1.3.0 binaries.

This will stay in pre-release for about a day or so. If no major bugs pop up in that time I'll let it into the wild.

https://github.com/Starwaster/ProceduralParts/releases/tag/v1.2.12

Thanks for updating this! :D

Just to ask, would it be possible to add pipes that go down the sides of the fuel tanks, like the stock fuel tanks? I love this mod but I'm not really a fan of the plain cylindrical shape of the fuel tanks, some pipes would make them more interesting to look at.

1 hour ago, yorshee said:

Thanks for updating this! :D

Just to ask, would it be possible to add pipes that go down the sides of the fuel tanks, like the stock fuel tanks? I love this mod but I'm not really a fan of the plain cylindrical shape of the fuel tanks, some pipes would make them more interesting to look at.

I'm sure it would be possible, but it's not something I see myself tackling in the foreseeable future. My hands are full as it is and I don't even get to play the game very much right now which is something I'd like to spend some time doing.

4 hours ago, Acvila said:

the fuel tank has fixed weight no matter volume, is something wrong with my install? last PP for 1.3

Using only stock KSP 1.3.0 and Procedural Parts I can confirm that mass does change as the size is changed.

Ok, i copied all the director in other place, i removed all mods, i installed all mods again and now i have two copy, one it's working, the other don't. i think it's about research tree, because in old game even if i'm only early in the tree, i can use full size PP, but with the same save in the new install i can't and PP is working well!

LE

I think it was Cofigurable containeres conflicted with IFS. I had installed both(they conflict each other, but i manualy instaled both), after removing Cofigurable containeres, it's working!

Edited by Acvila

On 20.6.2017 at 3:19 PM, Acvila said:

I think it was Cofigurable containeres conflicted with IFS

Was this with the new released 2.4.1 or the previous version?

I ask because the release was about 9 hours before you posted.

11 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

Was this with the new released 2.4.1 or the previous version?

I ask because the release was about 9 hours before you posted.

i tested now with the last CC(with or without intrusive patches) and same thing, all PP parts have 1000Kg no matter of dimensions. remove CC(not plug in) and PP is working.

tested with only CC and PP mods, still the same, 1000Kg no matter dimension

Edited by Acvila

On 6/22/2017 at 2:38 AM, Acvila said:

i tested now with the last CC(with or without intrusive patches) and same thing, all PP parts have 1000Kg no matter of dimensions. remove CC(not plug in) and PP is working.

tested with only CC and PP mods, still the same, 1000Kg no matter dimension

Configurable Container is interfering with Procedural Parts functionality. Its MM patches deliberately remove the part of the mod where mass changes occur and the modder responsible is aware that removing that section has the consequences of removing mass calculations.

https://github.com/allista/ConfigurableContainers/blob/master/GameData/ConfigurableContainers/Parts/ProceduralParts.cfg#L5

Edited by Starwaster

• 3 weeks later...