[1.2.2] Realistic Progression Zero (RP-0) - Lightweight RealismOverhaul career v0.54 June 15

rsparkyc

Welcome to Realistic Progression Zero, the lightweight career add-on for Kerbal Space Program's Realism Overhaul.

RP-0 is a career mode for RealismOverhaul with minimal install requirements, and fair and balanced gameplay. Our aim is to allow players to enjoy RealismOverhaul in career mode, without installing a huge number of modules on top of those required by RealismOverhaul itself. However we also wish to ensure that RP-0 works with as many additional mods as possible; we use the Community Tech Tree for the basis of career progression, and try to place as many parts from other mods as possible in a balanced fashion without them being requirements.

When starting the game, the balance should be similar to KSP's normal career, so we recommend "Moderate" or "Hard" settings. If playing without part unlock costs, it's recommended you drop contract funds payouts to 20% to maintain balance, since in real life the research programs and the setting up of factories cost much more than serial production.

We recommend installing via the CKAN, ckan.exe install RP-0 on the command line, or just look for "Realistic Progression Zero" in the GUI.

To install manually, install all required mods, then grab the latest release from the releases page and extract the stuff in the GameData folder in the zip into your KSP/GameData folder (and overwrite as needed).

RP-0 is a community effort, and your contributions are appreciated. You can report issues on our issues page, and access the source code on github. The tech tree itself is designed to be particularly easy for humans to edit.

As @pjf is mostly unavailable, this new top-post is maintained by rsparkyc.  The original thread can be found here: 

Releases Page (however, we recommend using CKAN; if installing manually be sure to install all requirements first)

Source (Github)

License: CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0

Requirements (RP-0 will not work without this):

- Realism Overhaul and all its required and recommended (NOT SUGGESTED) mods

- Real Solar System

- Community Tech Tree

- Lack's SXT (although only the engines have RO configs as of yet)

- Ven's Stock Part Revamp

- Contract Configurator

- Custom Barn Kit

Recommended (RP-0 will not play right without these; note in addition to RO's recommended mods):

- Deadly Reentry

- Kerbal Renamer

- TestFlight

- Procedural Fairings

- Procedural Parts

- B9 Procedural Wings

- Kerbal Construction Time

- Taerobee

- Adjustable Landing Gear (NOTE: Not for 1.1 yet, alas, but RP-0 is playable without it)

- SCANsat

Supported (to varying extents, in rough order of completeness of support)

- BobCat's Soviet Engines

- FASA

- Raidernick's mods

- Habitat Pack (Bigelow habitats)

- Starshine Merlin engines

- Universal Storage

- DMagic's Orbital Science

- AIES (engines, mainly)

- Mk2 Lightning Cockpit

- B9 Aerospace

- Space Shuttle

- KAS/KIS

- Infernal Robotics

Note that more effort has gone into balancing earlier nodes than later nodes. Your feedback and assistance in balancing all nodes is appreciated!

Changelog

Tutorial Campaign in RP-0 (YouTube)

Eye-candy from existing RP-0 games:

NathanKell's very realistic career:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

pjf's IronDoge RP-0 career:

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by rsparkyc

Great - seems @pjf is still active on twitter but no longer on the KSP-forums (nearly one year now).

Is it possible for a Mod ( @DuoDex ) to merge the threads. Maybe starting @

Now a question regarding RP-0 v0.54: i haven't seen a simulation at @NathanKell 's Stream.  - have i just missed them or are they somehow deactivated?

3 minutes ago, KroShan said:

Now a question regarding RP-0 v0.54: i haven't seen a simulation at @NathanKell 's Stream.  - have i just missed them or are they somehow deactivated?

KRASH is the mod that you should use for simulations now, but the costs haven't been configured for RP-0 yet, so that's why @NathanKell hasn't installed or used it.

Edited by rsparkyc

2 minutes ago, KroShan said:

Great - seems @pjf is still active on twitter but no longer on the KSP-forums (nearly one year now).

Is it possible for a Mod ( @DuoDex ) to merge the threads. Maybe starting @

KRASH Takes care of that these days :)

1 hour ago, Edwin1993 said:

Hi, I've just installed RSS+RP+RP-0, but I am not getting any contracts show up in my mission control? Can you tell me where to look on how to fix this issue?

How did you install? CKAN? Have you had a working installation in the past? I'm assuming you have all the required dependant mods?

referring to this post @NathanKell :

i will stick to the new contracts since the progress wasn't that big and can be easily redone. i really appreciate the work of @pap1723
here is the part of the log file:

Spoiler

[LOG 20:53:49.800] Contract Log: Outdated save file detected! All contracts in save file were updated!
[ERR 20:53:49.861] [ContractSystem]: Contract type 'SatelliteContract' not found

[ERR 20:53:49.862] [ContractSystem]: Contract type 'CollectScience' not found

[WRN 20:53:49.877] ContractConfigurator.ConfiguredContract: Error loading contract for contract type 'HSFOrbitalMoon1Repeatable'.  The contract type either failed to load or was uninstalled.
[LOG 20:53:49.879] Penalizing 859375.018626451 funds from player for contract failure
[LOG 20:53:49.881] Penalizing 901.9231 reputation from player for contract failure
[LOG 20:53:49.883] Added -891.4311 (-901.9231) reputation: 'ContractPenalty'.
[LOG 20:53:49.897] Contract (Human Orbital (1/LLO)): We have failed our contract for Jebediah Kerman's Junkyard and Spacecraft Parts Co: Human Orbital (1/LLO)
[LOG 20:53:52.306] [INFO] ContractConfigurator.ContractType: Cancelling contract of type flybyMercury (Mercury Flyby): Wrong prestige level.
[WRN 20:53:52.307] ContractConfigurator.ConfiguredContract: Removed contract 'Mercury Flyby', as it no longer meets the requirements.
[LOG 20:53:52.318] [INFO] ContractConfigurator.ContractType: Cancelling contract of type first_spaceStation (First Space Station): Wrong prestige level.
[WRN 20:53:52.319] ContractConfigurator.ConfiguredContract: Removed contract 'First Space Station', as it no longer meets the requirements.
[LOG 20:53:52.322] [INFO] ContractConfigurator.CompleteContractRequirement: Contract CrewedSupersonic: requirement CompleteContract was not met.
[LOG 20:53:52.323] Penalizing 10850 funds from player for contract failure
[LOG 20:53:52.324] Penalizing 2 reputation from player for contract failure
[LOG 20:53:52.325] Added -1.857627 (-2) reputation: 'ContractPenalty'.
[LOG 20:53:52.360] Contract (X-Planes (Supersonic)): We have failed our contract for Reaction Systems Ltd: X-Planes (Supersonic)

So what's the current direction of RP0?  @pap1723 is working on a new tech tree, I heard?  Is he also doing new contracts?   

EDIT: Should have just checked github earlier - https://github.com/KSP-RO/RP-0/issues/642  . 

Also, any idea what the Zero in RP0 is for?  Always been curious about that.

Edited by Maxsimal

18 hours ago, rsparkyc said:

How did you install? CKAN? Have you had a working installation in the past? I'm assuming you have all the required dependant mods?

Yea I did install it with CKAN. It worked fine in my ksp 1.1 install, but I recently updated it to 1.2.

This is my ksp mod list:

C:\Users\Edwin\Desktop>CKAN.lnk list

KSP found at c:/program files (x86)/steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program

KSP Version: 1.2.2.1622

Installed Modules:

- _BuildManager autodetected dll
- AdvancedJetEngine v2.8.0
- ALCOR 0.9.6
- ASETAgency 1.0
- ASETAvionics 2.0
- ASETProps 1.4
- Atmosphere autodetected dll
- B9PartSwitch v1.7.1
- B9-PWings-Fork 1:0.40.12
- BDAnimationModules 1:v0.6.4.4
- CelestialShadows autodetected dll
- CityLights autodetected dll
- CommunityResourcePack 0.6.6.0
- CommunityTechTree 1:3.0.3
- ConnectedLivingSpace 1.2.4.2
- ContractConfigurator 1.22.2
- CryoEngines 1:0.4.6
- CryoTanks 0.3.5
- CustomBarnKit 1.1.12.0
- DeadlyReentry v7.5.0
- DeployableEngines 0.3.5
- DistantObject v1.8.1
- DistantObject-RealSolarSystem v1.8.1
- DMagicOrbitalScience 1.3.8
- EditorExtensionsRedux 3.3.12
- EngineLighting 1.5
- EVEManager autodetected dll
- FASA 1:v7.1
- FerramAerospaceResearch 3:0.15.8.1
- FilterExtensions 2.8.1.2
- FirespitterCore v7.5.1
- FirespitterResourcesConfig v7.5.1
- HangarExtender 1:v3.4.9
- JanitorsCloset 0.2.20
- KAS 0.6.2.0
- KerbalAlarmClock v3.8.4.0
- KerbalConstructionTime 1.3.5
- KerbalJointReinforcement v3.3.2
- KerbalRenamer 0.7
- Kopernicus 2:release-1.2.2-6
- KRASH 0.5.22.1
- KSCSwitcher 0.7
- KSP-AVC 1.1.6.2
- KSPSteamCtrlr autodetected dll
- KSPWheel 0.9.4.15
- MagiCore 1.2.5
- MechJeb2 2.6.0.0
- ModularFlightIntegrator 1.2.4.0
- ModuleManager 2.7.6
- NearFutureConstruction 0.7.6
- NearFutureProps 0.6.3
- NearFuturePropulsion 0.8.7
- NearFutureSolar 0.7.2
- NearFutureSolar-Core 0.7.2
- PartFX autodetected dll
- PersistentRotation 1.8.4
- PlanetShine 0.2.5.2
- PlanetShine-Config-Default 0.2.5.2
- PQSManager autodetected dll
- ProceduralFairings v3.20
- ProceduralFairings-ForEverything v0.2.0
- ProceduralParts v1.2.10
- ProgressParser 6.0
- RasterPropMonitor 1:v0.28.1
- RasterPropMonitor-Core 1:v0.28.1
- RCSBuildAid v0.9.1
- RealChute v1.4.3.0
- RealFuels rf-v12.1.0
- RealHeat v4.4
- RealismOverhaul v11.5.1
- RealismOverhaulCraftFiles v11.5.1
- RealPlume 2:v10.5.1
- RealScaleBoosters 0.15
- RealSolarSystem v12.0.0
- ReentryParticleEffect 1.2a
- RemoteTech v1.8.6
* RetractableLiftingSurface 0.1.4
- RN-SalyutStations v2.8
- RN-SovietProbes v2.2
- RP-0 v0.53
- RSSDateTimeFormatter 1.1.0.0
- RSSTextures4096 v10.4
- RSSVE autodetected dll
- SCANsat v16.11
- scatterer autodetected dll
- SemiSaturatableRW 1.12
- ShaderLoader autodetected dll
- ShipManifest 5.1.3.3
- SigmaDimensions autodetected dll
- SmokeScreen 2.7.4.0
- SolverEngines v3.1
- SovietEnginePack 0.3
- StageRecovery 1.7.2
- Steamworks autodetected dll
- SXTContinued 0.3.12.1
- TACLS v0.13.0
- Taerobee 1:3.0
- Terrain autodetected dll
- TestFlight 1.8.0.1
- TextureConfig autodetected dll
- TextureReplacer v2.5.4
- Trajectories v1.6.6
- TriggerAu-Flags v2.9.2.0
- TweakScale v2.3.4
- UniversalStorage 1.3.0.0
- Utils autodetected dll
- VenStockRevamp v1.9.6
- WaypointManager 2.6.2
- xScience v5.6

Legend: -: Up to date. X: Incompatible. ^: Upgradable. ?: Unknown. *: Broken.

2 hours ago, Edwin1993 said:

Yea I did install it with CKAN. It worked fine in my ksp 1.1 install, but I recently updated it to 1.2.

Could you provide a screenshot of the contract configurator GUI?

32 minutes ago, Edwin1993 said:

Sure but it's just an empty window

Ok, so that shows that it's not that contracts are broken, but that they're just gone entirely.  What's in your /GameData/RP-0/Contracts folder?

4 minutes ago, rsparkyc said:

Ok, so that shows that it's not that contracts are broken, but that they're just gone entirely.  What's in your /GameData/RP-0/Contracts folder?

It looks like they are all there, I've checked the folders and they all have config files in them:

7 hours ago, Edwin1993 said:

It looks like they are all there, I've checked the folders and they all have config files in them:

@Edwin1993

EDIT: Do you have Contract Configurator installed? And is it the most recent version for 1.2.2? -Was told you are good here.

When you first started your career, in the Difficulty Options, you can de-select contracts to show up. Is there any chance that you accidentally did that?

Edited by pap1723
New Information

@NathanKell suggested I bring this issue here (rather, to the former thread, but that passed). Text borrowed, with some corrections, from discussion on

Right after Christmas 2016, I made one Steam backup and one Windows 10 backup (that one by just copying the KSP folder and moving it into another folder on my desktop), then used the built-in Steam functionality to downgrade my game to 1.1.3 in order to install Real Solar System, Realism Overhaul, Realistic Progression Zero and all of the recommended mods using CKAN. What do I do now that KSP RSS RO RP-0 can be played on 1.2.2? How do I update the game? :huh:  

(I'm new here, so I'm being conservative on the formatting before I can develop a pattern.)

Specifically, I'm asking these questions: 

1. Should I uninstall the mods, update the game, then reinstall the mods, or just update the game and use the "Add Available Updates" option on CKAN

2. I'm planning on using the straight Steam upgrade system to upgrade. I used that last time, without doing any save-copying. Can/should I do it this time?

Hello.
I noticed a problem after updating RP0. All engines turn off automatically after passing about 60 km. It does not matter whether I use MJ or manual controls. Engines turn off for a few seconds, and turn on again. Of course there is a message : no ignition remaining.

I have installed: RO+RSS+RP0 v54 by CKAN  KSP v1.2.2.

RO+RSS+RP0 v53 by CKAN  KSP v1.2.2 everything works fine.

I found a solution. Orbit altitude. I did not notice.

Sorry for spam.

Edited by Padre
Solution

Is there anything I can read up on about procedural avionics?  Particularly how power, mass and cost are calculated, and when each variant is intended to be "better" than another?

The reason I ask is that I'm not finding the probe cores particularly useful.  I've unlocked most of the 20-30 science techs, and now have 3 booster variants, 2 upperStage variants and 1 probeCore variant.

When I try to make avionics for a 400mm diameter ~250kg probe...

• UpperStage(Stability) @ 3T capability & 200% utilisation = 35W/1W, 46.63kg, 312.4584 kredits, 1184mm long
  • ProbeCore(Stability) @ 300kg capability & 200% utilisation = 56W/1W, 55.33kg, 6004.836 kredits, 235mm long
  • ProbeCore(Stability) @ 300kg capability & 100% utilisation = 75W/2W, 86.23kg, 1514.09 kredits, 470mm long
  • ProbeCore(Stability) @ 300kg capability & 43.3% utilisation = 120W/2W, 116.3kg, 312.5878 kredits, 1078mm long
  • ProbeCore(Stability) @ 300kg capability & 38.9% utilisation = 130W/3W, 120.7.23kg, 262.4207 kredits, 1200mm long

The UpperStage (Stability) Avionics are lighter, cheaper and use less power than the ProbeCore(Stability) Avionics.  Sure, they take up a lot more space, but mass is much more of a factor than volume.

Am I missing something?  Am I doing something wrong?  Under what circumstances are ProbeCore(Stability) Avionics -intended- to be better than UpperStage(Stability) Avionics?

1 hour ago, MatBailie said:

Is there anything I can read up on about procedural avionics?  Particularly how power, mass and cost are calculated, and when each variant is intended to be "better" than another?

The reason I ask is that I'm not finding the probe cores particularly useful.  I've unlocked most of the 20-30 science techs, and now have 3 booster variants, 2 upperStage variants and 1 probeCore variant.

• UpperStage(Stability) @ 3T capability & 200% utilisation = 35W/1W, 46.63kg, 312.4584 kredits, 1184mm long
  • ProbeCore(Stability) @ 300kg capability & 200% utilisation = 56W/1W, 55.33kg, 6004.836 kredits, 235mm long
  • ProbeCore(Stability) @ 300kg capability & 100% utilisation = 75W/2W, 86.23kg, 1514.09 kredits, 470mm long
  • ProbeCore(Stability) @ 300kg capability & 43.3% utilisation = 120W/2W, 116.3kg, 312.5878 kredits, 1078mm long
  • ProbeCore(Stability) @ 300kg capability & 38.9% utilisation = 130W/3W, 120.7.23kg, 262.4207 kredits, 1200mm long

The UpperStage (Stability) Avionics are lighter, cheaper and use less power than the ProbeCore(Stability) Avionics.  Sure, they take up a lot more space, but mass is much more of a factor than volume.

Am I missing something?  Am I doing something wrong?  Under what circumstances are ProbeCore(Stability) Avionics -intended- to be better than UpperStage(Stability) Avionics?

@MatBailie

There is some extensive information here: https://github.com/KSP-RO/RP-0/blob/master/README.md

Also, please provide feedback on what changes you think should be implemented.

9 hours ago, pap1723 said:

@Edwin1993

EDIT: Do you have Contract Configurator installed? And is it the most recent version for 1.2.2? -Was told you are good here.

When you first started your career, in the Difficulty Options, you can de-select contracts to show up. Is there any chance that you accidentally did that?

I can't find that option, can you tell me specifically what is it called?

5 hours ago, nightingale said:

@Edwin1993 - Can you post a KSP.log?  I'm wondering if there's something else going on that would show up in there.  Although do check on the difficulty settings thing as well, as that could easily do it too.

You can find the log here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mjpbqkw8c7fm41q/KSP.log?dl=0

1 hour ago, pap1723 said:

Looking at the log, it does not look like Contract Configurator is installed? Try deleting the whole Contract Configurator folder. And installing the 1.2.2 version again.

Yes! I reinstalled contract configurator via CKAN(along with rp-0 because of dependencies) and now contracts are showing up, thanks for the help guys! :D

29 minutes ago, Edwin1993 said:

Yes! I reinstalled contract configurator via CKAN(along with rp-0 because of dependencies) and now contracts are showing up, thanks for the help guys! :D

Excellent news! I know how difficult getting the install correct can be!

9 hours ago, MatBailie said:

One thing that the probe core has that the upper stage does not (at least in some configurations) is a sample return container.  Still, it looks like it could use some balancing (perhaps raising the minimum tonnage of the upper stage?)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.