rsparkyc

[1.2.2] Realistic Progression Zero (RP-0) - Lightweight RealismOverhaul career v0.54 June 15

60 posts in this topic

On 3.7.2017 at 1:47 AM, ptr421 said:

The planetary flyby contracts are a bit weird. 20000 km is okay-ish for inner planets, but seems a bit excessive for Jupiter and beyond. 

Hi @ptr421, I don't get it. What's the problem there? Do you think that's too close? I didn't have any problems meeting this.

45 minutes ago, Lilienthal said:

Hi @ptr421, I don't get it. What's the problem there? Do you think that's too close? I didn't have any problems meeting this.

You could argue based on realism. You really don't want to get that close to Jupiter's ferocious magnetic field without special hardening for all the electronics and Saturn's main rings extend ~80,000 km from its cloud tops so that represents another "no fly" zone for early probes.

Good point. 20,000 km also makes multiple flyby's probably. much more difficult.

Posted (edited)

20 hours ago, Aelfhe1m said:

You could argue based on realism. You really don't want to get that close to Jupiter's ferocious magnetic field without special hardening for all the electronics and Saturn's main rings extend ~80,000 km from its cloud tops so that represents another "no fly" zone for early probes.

Thanks for the note and idea! I have modified the contracts to take this into consideration. Pioneer 10 flew some 130,000km by Jupiter and Pioneer 11 and both Voyagers were closer. I have set both Saturn and Jupiter to be flyby of less than 150,000km and Uranus and Neptune to be less than 100,000km. Fun fact, Voyager 2 flew within 5,000 km of Neptune atmosphere! 

Edited by pap1723
3 people like this

On 9. 7. 2017 at 11:16 AM, Lilienthal said:

Good point. 20,000 km also makes multiple flyby's probably. much more difficult.

Mostly that. An Earth-Jupiter-Saturn(etc) trajectory will most likely take you to somewhere within Io's orbit. I don't think anyone would doubt that you've been to Jupiter at that point, no need to go to fractions of its diameter. Besides other IRL concerns above. 

Uhm, I can't get 'landingMoon' contract to spawn. I doesn't appear in the mission control as unavailable. I did the 'first_MoonFlybyUncrewed', which is the requirement. I have +800 rep.

Relevant (I think) mod versions:

• KSP 1.2.2
  • RP-0 build 54
  • Contract configurator 1.22.2

What should I look for as a cause?

glad to see its out for 1.2! One question: I couldn't find the simulation option for kct, so I got KRASH. What config should I use for it? 

Come on moderators, sticky something up to date.

what mods sould i use to fill up thoes empty tech tree nodes?