Arugela

Spaceplane off EVE!!??

60 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, herbal space program said:

Solar panels don't work? On Kerbin those provided plenty of power for a copter when I tried it before. I was able to pretty high up that way IIRC.

Don't those also cause drag though, something we want to avoid on Eve?

But yeah, those might work too, apart from the requirement for sunlight.

1 hour ago, qzgy said:

Don't those also cause drag though, something we want to avoid on Eve?

But yeah, those might work too, apart from the requirement for sunlight.

I thought there was virtually no sunlight on Eve's surface.

3 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

That's news to me, but then I haven't been on Eve since like 0.90.....

2 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Hmm, never really seriously been there, let me check.

Well, it seems the big static solar panels optimally generate a little less than 3/5 of the EC generated in orbit. This is also while being pointed directly at the sun, in both cases.

33 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Hmm, never really seriously been there, let me check.

Well, it seems the big static solar panels optimally generate a little less than 3/5 of the EC generated in orbit. This is also while being pointed directly at the sun, in both cases.

I wouldn't have noticed that doing what I was doing, so I'm guessing it's the same since the last time I went there.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, sevenperforce said:

Environmental Visual Enhancements causes that, at least visually?  Yet the solar panels still produce some electricity.  The main problem with solar powered propellers is that your solar panels have to be on the propeller shaft, so they're spinning around and not always facing the sun.  Say you have 8 of them and at any given moment, 1 is facing directly into the sun, 2 are facing at a 45 degree angle, the other 5 can't see the sun at all.  So for the weight of 8, you get the generation of 2.4 panels.  That's bad for any plane, never mind an Eve plane.

You might be able to save overall weight with a disposable propeller and wings, then a rocket second stage.  I don't think you could SSTO, the propeller would be too draggy in the upper atmosphere.

Spaceplane landing on Eve, that's a good idea (to aim for a landing spot).  But I dropped the wings before taking off.

SBBIVBr.png

Edited by sdj64

On 6/16/2017 at 0:48 AM, Arugela said:

But it's just nagging me how easily this could be missed given how little people understand space planes and how much Delta V you can really skim off with a space plane if you actually do the calculations. If you do sufficient wing load and sufficient thrust to weight especially.

"given how little people understand space planes"

Which computer are you having problems with again? Maybe your processor isn't pushing the required hertz... Mine hertz juts trying to figure out if this is a challenge or a discussion. Maybe a challenge discussion. 

To be clear: I've tried this "SSTO to Eve and back" a fair few times now, with a variety of craft. The only success I've ever had left staging junk all over Eve, all the way back to Kerbin, thus, not an SSTO. The bigger spaceplanes want to burn up in atmo and the smaller ones just don't have the fuel capacity to even bother. Verdict? Face it: you're gonna lose money on Eve missions EVEry time.

1 person likes this

As the others have said, SSTO spaceplanes do not "reduce the ⌂V required", they actually increase it. The reason they reduce the fuel mass required on Kerbin is the fact that they use air-breathing engines for most of the velocity.

An SSTO from Eve is just barely possible if you launch it from a mountaintop, but that's a vertical lifter. A spaceplane to do the same thing is a flat- out impossibility.

Best,
-Slashy

2 people like this

45 minutes ago, GoSlash27 said:

Best,
-Slashy

senpaï , it's a long road you k ^^

It seems like the OP is still confused as to the difference between delta-V, and raw propellant mass.  The discussion will continue spinning in the mud until this is corrected.

2 people like this