Rocheworld system (In planning)

On 16.6.2017 at 4:56 PM, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Umm its not very slow. Both Rocheworlds would be experiencing extreme tidal forces from each other, causing the surface of both planets to be certainly made of lava in many areas, and very frequent earthquakes, due to the friction created by the pushing a pulling of the other rocheworld. Think of Europa or Enceladus, and how they are warm enough to harbor liquid water beneath its surface, despite being extremely far away from the Sun. Then multiply it by 1 million.

KSP has never been a realistic aerospace/astronomical simulator, so I guess it is alright to create completely ridiculous and out-of-this-world planets, but just know that they are just that: ridiculous.

Would it be tidal effects other than the sun and other planets? 
The two planets are tidal locked to each other so no force here. 
For the planets to keep together I think they need to be equal in mass, this will keep the point there the gravity cancel out between the planets in the open, you can not have it inside one of them of obvious reasons. 

1 minute ago, magnemoe said:

Would it be tidal effects other than the sun and other planets? 
The two planets are tidal locked to each other so no force here. 
For the planets to keep together I think they need to be equal in mass, this will keep the point there the gravity cancel out between the planets in the open, you can not have it inside one of them of obvious reasons. 

Yeah, they'll both have the same mass, somewhere in between the Mun's, and Moho's.

I'm quite sure it'll work well, provided each one has the correct parameters, the only thing I see trouble with right now, is how the atmosphere between the two will behave/look.

58 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

Yeah, they'll both have the same mass, somewhere in between the Mun's, and Moho's.

I'm quite sure it'll work well, provided each one has the correct parameters, the only thing I see trouble with right now, is how the atmosphere between the two will behave/look.

I was thinking real world, not sure how KSP would handle SOI like this. 
Take Duna and Ike move Ike very close to Duna, At that point SOI of Ike will hit the surface of Duna, 
At an minimum you would need to shrink the SOI of Ike so it get much smaller at the close side 
You would also miss out the low gravity effect at the close side. 

On 7/5/2017 at 11:39 PM, Spaceception said:

*breathes a sigh of relief* whew, I was slightly worried that you changed your mind about using it for a second.

But I'll still make my own Corona, I won't use yours :P

If so, try finding some NASA corona images, then unwrapping them with an inverse polar coordinates filter in GIMP or Photoshop. They will allow for some pretty... 'sweet' artwork when some digital art magic is applied...

IznCT50.png

Edited by The White Guardian

13 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

If so, try finding some NASA corona images, then unwrapping them with an inverse polar coordinates filter in GIMP or Photoshop. They will allow for some pretty... 'sweet' artwork when some digital art magic is applied...

IznCT50.png

I did not know about that! Thanks :D

The images I got were slightly warped, so I need to find some of the larger images for it to be flat like that.

UPDATE

I have a star corona, and I'm trying to figure out what all the specifics means, but in the next few days or next week, there should at least be a new star orbiting Kerbol. This thread can be locked, and I can start a dev thread in Addon Developments.

Slowly but surely, this is making progress.

I've also got Sigma dimensions/KittopiaTech/(And obviously)Kopernicus installed, and I think that's all I need, unless it turns out I need Sigma binary for Rocheworld to work.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

I got a suggestion, Ursae Majoris system as describe in the Coyote novel trilogy.

While I've already decided the entire system, I'll bite. What's the system? I've never read the book, let alone heard of it.

FOR EVERYONE ELSE, progress on this will be stalled until further notice due to me needing to study for a GED test in September, after that, it should hopefully pick up steam again.

Edited by Spaceception

6 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

While I've already decided the entire system, I'll bite. What's the system? I've never read the book, let alone heard of it.

It's a star system, Coyote is a large moon, the fourth satellite orbiting the gas giant Bear in the 47 Ursae Majoris system. 47 Ursae Majoris' system has four planets- named Fox, Raven, Bear and Wolf after Native American mythology. Bear has six satellites- Dog, Hawk, Eagle, Coyote, Snake and Goat. Of these six, Coyote is large enough to support its own biosphere.  It's a fictional star system, the star exists in reality but we don't know if it has planets around it, and if it does, they aren't like those named here.

I thought I posted this long ago, but it seemed it never went through, when I found this thread again, it returned my post to what it was and I just hit enter

Edited by The-Doctor

2 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

It's a star system, Coyote is a large moon, the fourth satellite orbiting the gas giant Bear in the 47 Ursae Majoris system. 47 Ursae Majoris' system has four planets- named Fox, Raven, Bear and Wolf after Native American mythology. Bear has six satellites- Dog, Hawk, Eagle, Coyote, Snake and Goat. Of these six, Coyote is large enough to support its own biosphere.  

I thought I posted this long ago, but it seemed it never went through, when I found this thread again, it returned my post to what it was and I just hit enter

I edited in an update in that comment, so..refresh, I guess.

Names aren't enough, what are they like? :) Are they warm, cold, scorched, freezing? Mountainous? Flat? Large? Small? Do they have atmospheres? What are their orbits?

Edited by Spaceception

Just now, Spaceception said:

I edited in an update in that comment, so..refresh, I guess.

Names aren't enough, what are they like? :) Are they warm, cold, scorched, freezing? Mountainous? Flat? Large? Small? Do they have atmospheres? What are their orbits?

Well Coyote orbits Bear, it's a lush moon with many rivers and no seas or oceans, the rivers meet at the equator and forms a large equatorial river that stretches around the moon called The Great Equatorial River, sort of like a sea but it's not a sea, certainly large enough but it was never called a sea in the novel, the moon is habitable, has dangerous animals on it, it's the only thing I know, the other moons were never explored in the novel and they're not habitable. Having the names however would be lovely, they're interesting names

I stronglysuggest you read the first novel, it's lovely, the others are more meh and it gets worse over time with the last novel in the trilogy being the worse. Oh and reread my post as I made edits to it

1 minute ago, The-Doctor said:

Well Coyote orbits Bear, it's a lush moon with many rivers and no seas or oceans, the rivers meet at the equator and forms a large equatorial river that stretches around the moon called The Great Equatorial River, sort of like a sea but it's not a sea, certainly large enough but it was never called a sea in the novel, the moon is habitable, has dangerous animals on it, it's the only thing I know, the other moons were never explored in the novel and they're not habitable. Having the names however would be lovely, they're interesting names

Possibly, but it would orbit the star I have planned, not a star from Ursae Magoris. Maybe it would orbit a bit further out from Rocheworld.

But 4 habitable worlds in one system may be overkill, I could make the moon a cold desert with snow capped... everything, a thick atmosphere, and lots of clouds though and that could work.

Well you could definitely do it how you want, once they got those lovely names :D Also why have 4 habitable planets? Why not have one habitable planet, one gas giant and one habitable moon around that gas giant, as well as other planets, asteroids of course 

1 minute ago, The-Doctor said:

Well you could definitely do it how you want, once they got those lovely names :D Also why have 4 habitable planets? Why not have one habitable planet, one gas giant and one habitable moon around that gas giant, as well as other planets, asteroids of course 

Rocheworld  has to be two habitable planets, then the habitable moon, and if I end up doing Coyote, then that's 4

4 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

Rocheworld  has to be two habitable planets, then the habitable moon, and if I end up doing Coyote, then that's 4

oh well don't, why not just name your planned habitable moon Coyote and make it like the descriptions of Coyote? btw, can you post the descriptions of your planned habitable worlds?

6 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

oh well don't, why not just name your planned habitable moon Coyote and make it like the descriptions of Coyote? btw, can you post the descriptions of your planned habitable worlds?

I don't really have any description atm :) What you see in the OP is what you have.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2017 at 8:56 AM, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Umm its not very slow. Both Rocheworlds would be experiencing extreme tidal forces from each other, causing the surface of both planets to be certainly made of lava in many areas, and very frequent earthquakes, due to the friction created by the pushing a pulling of the other rocheworld. Think of Europa or Enceladus, and how they are warm enough to harbor liquid water beneath its surface, despite being extremely far away from the Sun. Then multiply it by 1 million.

"Due to Rocheworld's close approach to Barnard, however, the tides from Barnard cause a significant amount of dissipation, which stabilizes the orbit." taken from http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/worldbuilding.php#rocheworld

Edited by Abstract_Kerman

On 7/28/2017 at 11:14 AM, Matchlight said:

Suggestion* 

(This may seem stupid)

Call the star Ferrero. Yep...

Better than my ideas :D

1 hour ago, Abstract_Kerman said:

"Due to Rocheworld's close approach to Barnard, however, the tides from Barnard cause a significant amount of dissipation, which stabilizes the orbit." taken from http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/worldbuilding.php#rocheworld

Well first off, it's not Barnard's star, it's a star of my own making, the only aspect of that system, will be Rocheworld.

Secondly, KSP doesn't do N body physics, so I don't need to worry about that, it'll just orbit around each other within a hundred kilometers. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, DeltaDizzy said:

Whats your excuse for not seeing 100%

We weren't able to get somewhere with 100% totality. 

4 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

Looking in

Back on topic, the project has stalled since I have GEDs approaching, same with my writing, sadly :( But it hasn't been dropped, I promise you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.