Forum Ribbons

Has it been considered that we could use the "anonymous game progress data" to automatically populate ribbons or icons in our forum signatures?  

Im aware of the one already used by players, but it would be nice to have an "official" recognition of in-game achievements (since we can't have achievements).  

Just now, razark said:

How do you propose such a system handle mods?

After all, I don't want my "real" validation devalued by someone else's "fake" validation based off of all the cheating mods they used.

That's a good point.  Frankly, I think it's a shame that the Debug toolbar i still available in the base game, but...  I guess that's the problem with such an indie sort of game. 

I don't think any of the mods would really make it that much easier to do things, other than MechJeb, of course. 

2 minutes ago, llanthas said:

I don't think any of the mods would really make it that much easier to do things, other than MechJeb, of course.

Well, there's the sci-fi warp drive, or modifying engine ISP, hyperedit, etc. that can make things easier.

In addition, you'll have people complain "But I use life support, so what I did was more impressive", and what do you do about the Realism Overhaul folks?  Or the influx of people saying "I should get X, Y, and Z because I did those in another save before the forum started tracking them!"?  While landing on Mun or Minmus might be easy to redo for the ribbon, there would be some (Grand Tour) that people might not be so willing to spend the effort for.

It honestly sounds like a lot of mess for a small gain to me.

Maybe when the DLC is released, there can be some official missions put out that could award some sort of trinkets on the forum?  That seems the best that might be easily worked into it.

Squad has repeatedly shot that idea down (even after the great console experiment), but with new management, things might change.

Personally, I've never been a big fan of the whole idea.  I play games for my own reasons, and usually track my own accomplishments in my own way.  I love the Final Frontier mod, for example.  To me, it makes a lot more sense to track those sort of achievements in-game.

I know, I know.  People either love or hate them.  They make no sense in an RPG, for example, but they really do in a game without a "level" structure, involving genuine player skill, like KSP does.

It's nice to have consistency across the different games, too (Steam Achievements).  No reason you can't have both in- and out-of-game cheevos. 

I enjoy Final Frontier as well, but he's got some wacky stuff in that list, and misses the more generic things that you would expect in a cheevo list.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.